I removed a number of apps from my device... [...]

XE Currency - I suspect this one was the cause (at least partially) as this was set to update in the background every 10 minutes.

[...]

I saw a few other potential culprits in your list of removed apps, ie Waze. (Which uses GPS a lot, a known battery-sponge, even if you're not currently using it because it is passing your data back to "the cloud" for other people to use)

Android apps in general you have to be very careful about because I don't think BB10 has enough ways to monitor/control battery usage by them like it does with native apps.

Glad you got your battery consumption issue under control.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    04-15-13 04:07 AM
    I'm weary about adding some of the Android apps back, but it seems that Kindle and Waze are safe. I made a post earlier in the thread about the apps I deleted and what's still remaining. After yesterday's "Clean Up", my batter life's been fantastic!

As I mentioned in my previous comment, be careful with Waze, that can be a real battery killer.
    FlashFlare11 and Sonic300 like this.
    04-15-13 04:14 AM
    I was forcing 4G instead of using LTE(which I have crappier coverage of) and I was finding that I was getting worse battery life with 4G than with LTE for some reason. Another thing I notice is that GPS acquires my position faster and I also, for the first time in awhile, got an automatic update in BlackBerry World for Hub++ which is surprising. Not sure if the latter is connected but it's nice that I know that function is not lost.
    04-15-13 05:03 AM
    Did Not Open.
    04-15-13 05:47 AM
    For me fix was temporary. Star start reappear again after blackberry pushed update for twitter and is on every 2 time I open blackberry world.

Posted via CB10
    Mine is totally GONE...
    yvpan1 likes this.
    04-15-13 06:31 AM
    Did Not Open.
    I would suggest you remove and reinstall it than since mine is working correctly.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 06:45 AM
    As I mentioned in my previous comment, be careful with Waze, that can be a real battery killer.
    I've had no problems with Waze. Yes, it's a battery drain when in use, but when it's closed, it's closed. I have the Android Task Killer, which shows any active Android processes, and Waze is never one of them, unless it's actually open.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    04-15-13 07:54 AM
    I saw a few other potential culprits in your list of removed apps, ie Waze. (Which uses GPS a lot, a known battery-sponge, even if you're not currently using it because it is passing your data back to "the cloud" for other people to use)

Android apps in general you have to be very careful about because I don't think BB10 has enough ways to monitor/control battery usage by them like it does with native apps.

Glad you got your battery consumption issue under control.
    Thank you!

I did add back Kindle, Songza, and YouVersion's Bible. I'll add back a couple at a time and try to find out what the source of these drains are. A lot of these apps aren't necessary for me to have, anyway. They're just fun. The ones I most commonly use have been perfect so far!

I really hope we get a way to monitor these apps and battery usage soon! It's a badly-needed feature that's absolutely required for BB10!
    04-15-13 08:07 AM
    I really hope we get a way to monitor these apps and battery usage soon! It's a badly-needed feature that's absolutely required for BB10!

Yep, a number of people (including myself) have been clamoring for something along those lines. Unfortunately I don't think the OS has any hooks/APIs to access that stuff on a per-app basis yet. And until they actually finish the "headless apps support", anything that requires long-term monitoring of system processes would have to be yet another app that has to run in an active frame all the time. I've already got two running that way, having 3 or 4 running all the time would be a little over the top, especially considering how they won't auto-start on boot either...
    04-15-13 08:19 AM
    I deleted the following apps: Box, Dropbox & Linkedln. Well, its person to person, i don't use them. And i still use the LTE, irrespective i dont get service at my home (tmobile sucks).
    That deletion helped to keep my z10 running the whole day without charging.
    But i am just wondering, when would the update (current os: 10.0.10.85) for WiFi calling come to Tmobile Z10?
    I so rely on that when at home, as i don't get reception, and my calls are dropped.
    04-15-13 10:10 AM
    Until we have headless apps, rogue native apps eating the battery shouldn't be a concern. But Android ports and sideloads--especially sideloads--are. I had to sideload the Android "Task Killer", but it reports on which Android apps are cached and/or running. Here's what I've observed.

1. Some apps appear as cached but not running, some of the time. The T-Mobile "My Accounts" apps is one of these. It's not always cached, however.

2. Closing any Android app, ported or sideloaded, removes it from the "Running" list; some stay cached. K-9 mail, for example, stays cached, but not running, after I close it. If I "kill" the process in Task Killer, it's gone from cache too.

3. I've yet to find any Android app in the "running" state that isn't in an active frame.

I cautiously conclude that BB10 has some fairly strong voodoo that prevents Android processes from running in the background (i.e., when not in an active frame).
    yvpan1 likes this.
    04-15-13 10:22 AM
    I deleted the following apps: Box, Dropbox & Linkedln. Well, its person to person, i don't use them. And i still use the LTE, irrespective i dont get service at my home (tmobile sucks).
    That deletion helped to keep my z10 running the whole day without charging.
    But i am just wondering, when would the update (current os: 10.0.10.85) for WiFi calling come to Tmobile Z10?
    I so rely on that when at home, as i don't get reception, and my calls are dropped.
    You "can't" delete those apps. They are core apps for the OS. If you try to update the OS it will just add those apps right back. If you don't want to use them just create a Junk folder and put all the unwanted core apps there. I have done this for Box, Twitter, Foursquare, and Weather and it doesn't bother me at all.
    04-15-13 10:48 AM
    The eBay app keeps stuff running when closed. That's what eats battery for who has it installed.

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    04-15-13 11:48 AM
    Until we have headless apps, rogue native apps eating the battery shouldn't be a concern. But Android ports and sideloads--especially sideloads--are. I had to sideload the Android "Task Killer", but it reports on which Android apps are cached and/or running. Here's what I've observed.

1. Some apps appear as cached but not running, some of the time. The T-Mobile "My Accounts" apps is one of these. It's not always cached, however.

2. Closing any Android app, ported or sideloaded, removes it from the "Running" list; some stay cached. K-9 mail, for example, stays cached, but not running, after I close it. If I "kill" the process in Task Killer, it's gone from cache too.

3. I've yet to find any Android app in the "running" state that isn't in an active frame.

I cautiously conclude that BB10 has some fairly strong voodoo that prevents Android processes from running in the background (i.e., when not in an active frame).
    Good observations. Android task optimizations will get better when they release the 4.1 Jellybean framework.
    04-15-13 12:19 PM
    Ever since the update, my screen randomly turns on when my phone is charging.
    This is getting annoying, as I have to keep it out at my desk at work in case I get an important message.

Posted via CB10
    Check battery level when it flashes. I've found that when mine does that it's because it's reached 100%. It'll then trickle charge. This could mean that it discharges, depending on what it's doing. It'll then charge up to 100%... and flash.

Disclaimer : haven't read this anywhere just my own observations

Posted via CB10
    This has always been happening. Even from the Dev Alpha days. It always does it when the phone reaches 100% charging, and switches between charging and non-charging state.

I understand that they linked the screen turning on to the charging start/stop event, but I don't see why they couldn't link it to the physical plug being inserted instead. That would fix this problem.

In case you didn't notice, I think it's annoying too.
    04-15-13 01:57 PM
    It's so nice not having applications drain my battery so much! CB is now only draining about one watt. Such a glorious thing to have great battery life!

/dances

Posted via CB using my sexy Zee10
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    04-15-13 02:21 PM
    It's so nice not having applications drain my battery so much! CB is now only draining about one watt. Such a glorious thing to have great battery life!

/dances

Posted via CB using my sexy Zee10
    Yep. I just had my first school day since the update and clean up and am at 50% on my way home. Like I said earlier, my school's Wifi coverage isn't very good, but I also noticed that my phone was on EDGE several times today, which probably contributed to a higher rate of drain. I definitely used my phone more often today than I normally do, especially with browsing (even registered for summer courses on my phone today), and installing apps. The Wifi radio was on all day and just switching between that and the cellular network.

All in all, very impressed!

Posted via CB10
    SirJes likes this.
    04-15-13 02:58 PM
    Does anyone have an alternative download location? Mega is screwing up on me, the "waiting" mouse icon just keeps spinning endlessly. This after a partial download that failed. Tried using Firefox and Chrome. Thanks!
    04-15-13 06:33 PM
    Update: Nevermind, it appears Flash is the culprit. Disabled that and the site works correctly. Woohoo!

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    04-15-13 06:41 PM
    downloaded, installed and running well on my unlocked stl100-3 running on Telus
    04-15-13 06:56 PM
    Currently restoring backup but seems to be running just fine on my Verizon STL100-4. I haven't seen much in this thread about the 4 but if anyone was interested I am checking it out. I was able to connect to Verizon 4G LTE right away and it does show the right versions. If this is the best I can get for a new OS then I'm going to take it, Verizon has let me down (again).
    04-16-13 12:21 PM
    I installed thison my verizon 004 version. was a faster experience with apps and such,but rebooting still as active.
    04-16-13 12:33 PM
    Restored sucessfully, everything looks great. If I have any issues I will post them here. I had to re-sideload some apps but I expected this, also had to re-enter my email passwords (should have guessed) but other than that.
    04-16-13 12:51 PM
    After the update I tried to send a Yahoo email with an attachment 1.6Mb through 3G and it didn't multiply.
    Unfortunately it was not sent at all.
    I had to resend it through wi-fi.....
    while I was waiting for the email to be sent through 3G there was a clock on the left (for about an hour).
    Last edited by akavbb; 04-16-13 at 01:57 PM.
    04-16-13 01:13 PM
    Found a major bug for STL100-4 with the technically unsupported OS. When I restored the backup it apparently skipped Slacker radio and when I searched for it is BBW I couldn't find it. I found a link from the Slacker website and BBW told be it was unavailable for my device. I will be downgrading to the official Verizon release as soon as I get home and figure out just how to do that.

Posted via CB10 on VZW Z10
    04-16-13 06:55 PM
478 ... 1617181920