Hey guys;

A while ago on the crackberry app, there was a review of a high end set of bluetooth headphones. Now I can't find it back anywhere! Can anyone remember the make/model?

Otherwise;

I'm looking for a GREAT sounding set to work out and run with - suggestions? Looking to spend < $100 cdn.
    03-24-14 12:03 PM
    03-24-14 12:10 PM
    Thanks - no - none of these. It was a brand I was not familiar with - ie not motorola, jabra, etc.
    03-24-14 12:52 PM
    Or was it the Jaybird Blue Buds?
    Willardv likes this.
    03-24-14 12:57 PM
    Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!! We have a winner! Why can't I find the recent review of the X model?

Suggestions for something that sounds good for sub $100?

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    03-24-14 01:38 PM
    I can speak to recent good experience with the LG Tone+ HBS-730, and I strongly recommend it. I picked up one new on eBay in basic packaging for around $38 (at least half off list), and am quite pleased with it. I have a pretty good ear, and though it doesn't sound as smooth and have as good imaging as my excellent $150 wired Yamaha EPH-100 (no surprise!), the Tone+ does sound quite good with my Z10 and with my wife's iPhone 5S. The overall frequency response is pretty balanced; a little more bass than the Yamaha, but not excessive and not muddy, unlike some trendy brands. You can leave the eartips a little loose (to hear some room sounds) and still get decent bass.

The 730 does have Apt-X, so on a compatible device, including the BB 10 devices, you get nearly as good of frequency response as a wired headset, and far better than on typical non-AptX BT 2.0 or 2.1 with EDR. Definktely get the Tone+ 730, not the original 700, in order to get the better sound quality with Apt-X.

The little earbuds magnetically attach well to the cups on the end of the neckpiece for storage, and it comes with multiple sized rubbery eartips. You could wear sound-isolating earmuffs over it easily if mowing the lawn, etc, without the wires interfering. For the price I paid, I'm really pleased, and it's so much nicer not to have to worry about wires when exercising!

Note though that one weird thing I observed was that with my Z10, the volume would never go down very far; the volume rocker on the headset changed the volume on the phone, but I couldn't make the headset softer independently, unlike when paired with the iPhone 5S under iOS 7.1. This makes the LG pretty loud on quite a bit of source material with my Z10 on 10.2.1!

Bluetooth range:
    With the Z10, I was getting reliable connections up to about 20' in open air, but at 25-30 feet with even 1 layer of plywood in the way, the LG-Z10 connection was dropping music sometimes. I saw far more robust and longer-distance connections with the iPhone 5S, pretty consistent up to 35-40 feet, even between floors in my house. Impressive! I was surprised at the difference.

I haven't used it enough to say anything about battery life myself. Reviews I read sounded like it will go several hours/charge.

I haven't tried the Tone+ on calls, so can't speak to the microphone quality as hear by others, or the noise resistance. I would expect good incoming voice quality based on the music response. It has easy-to-reach controls for answer/mute, volume up/down, etc.

The only other BT headset I've used is the Plantronics Backbeat 903. Its electronics units sit over & behind your ears, so it's somewhat less comfortable than the Tone+, and it has far less bass due to the open silicone sound guides that go partway into your ear canals (they don't seal). I didn't love it physically or for sound quality on music, its controls aren't as convenient as the Tone+, and I rarely use it.

Comments I saw about the Tone+ 730 in reviews on Amazon recommended putting the neckpiece part under your shirt collar if you are running or otherwise moving a lot while exercising, to keep it from bouncing.

Good luck!
    03-24-14 07:14 PM