05-09-13 07:40 AM
63 123
tools
    Its a medium charge rate as well. The other components charge rapidly.
    Yeah so in your case its either software (power management) or inverter/battery. Its funny I use an older charger from my Storm2 to charge my phone. I have used the one that came with the Z10 a couple times, but not often. Did you try a fresh install w/out a restore?
    05-08-13 07:37 AM
    Stl100-3, from AT&T. I've also observed the exact same instances as you've described OP. Glad I'm not alone.

PB charger...2.1mah: although that's a lot of juice, the regulating diode makes power adjustments. Confirmed reboot of my Z10, while charging

Factory Z10 charger...0.850mah: 100mah's higher than the OS7 charger that came with my 9810. Confirmed reboot while charging, but only once.

Dell D620 modded, usb port: I think amperage is 500mah max - any higher will jack up the usb reference signal, which is why some legacy devices got the warning for inadequate charging source. Z10 has never rebooted at this port.

Which leads me to either battery protection mode coding is jacked up, which would explain why the battery gets hot...which would also point to the fact that I've only experienced reboots OFF charger, when I'm using the phone to browse the web, and the battery gets hot, and the phone freezes and reboots.

Anyone...anyone...beuler?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 08:18 AM
    I have the 4 and mine has about a 90% chance to reboot when I leave it to charge when I sleep (using supplied wall charger).

It has also rebooted without being on the charger and being in my pocket. This has only happened a few times, it mostly reboots while charging.

I hate unlocking my device and seeing all of my active frames gone.

This happens on BB10 and 10.1.
    05-08-13 08:44 AM
    When I charge mine with the computer USB Port, Battery Guru shows it's full, but the battery voltage when full is lower than when charged full with the Z10 charger. At the same time the Battery Health drops to about 92%, whereas with the Z10 charger it goes from somewhere between 96-102% when full. Also the recharge cycle count is totally out of whack. After a little over a month it shows over 1,600 charging cycles. I never used the PB charger, but had to use a higher output charger from an HTC phone once and it produced a reboot then.
    Now funny thing is why is there is people that have used the PB charger almost all the time and they claim no reboots ever.

Oh and BTW, my phone does not reboot just because it gets hot on occasion, like when using Skype, I've seen up to 108F and no reboot.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 08:47 AM
    Perhaps, but assuming your right...what's the point of getting a warranty replacement if they still haven't figured out what the issue is?
    What's the point of warranty exchange? You paid for a device expected to be fully functional. It is not. Complain in a sufficiently intelligible non-bellicose manner, and VZW will let you talk to BlackBerry. BlackBerry will ask you to generate logs on your device and send them for review while you are on the phone.

While there might not be one single global issue causing the continuous restart, your case sounds remarkably similar to mine. The recertified device I received, number three in the exchange process, has worked flawlessly. I have never had it reboot.

I encourage anyone experiencing the restart issue to take it up with their carrier and ask for replacement. If it reboots overnight, you can't use it as an alarm. I doubt it reboots into bedside mode, so your sleep can be interrupted by notifications. A fully functioning Z10 shouldn't require workarounds or compromises. Be the squeaky wheel.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 09:09 AM
    What's the point of warranty exchange? You paid for a device expected to be fully functional. It is not. Complain in a sufficiently intelligible non-bellicose manner, and VZW will let you talk to BlackBerry. BlackBerry will ask you to generate logs on your device and send them for review while you are on the phone. Posted via CB10
    I hear what your saying....or writing ...and I don't disagree.

My reluctance is simply that I'm worried that "recertified" devices are a bit of a crapshoot. There are posters on this forum that complain of multiple reboots everyday...I don't experience this. Sure, it's not great that I get the night time reboot (which of course, did not happen last night for some inexplicable reason)...but what if the recertified device I get is one of those that exhibit the problem more frequently and has been returned. I don't know if Verizon tests them and restocks them when they don't see the reboot issue.

Then there's the amount of time that I need to take to reset/personalize the phone. A process that I would need to repeat again and again, as it sounds like you did.

I agree 100% that we all deserve a 100% functional phone...and I hope that Verizon/Blackberry gets the issue resolved...and within my warranty period. But, I have to weigh helping beta test the bloody thing with the other priorities that I have to deal with.

If I knew I would get a NIB replacement...I'd run to the store right now.
    05-08-13 11:47 AM
    I have a 4 on verizon and noticed random reboots on the stock charger. I switched to my iPhone charger and have maybe 1 reboot every couple of days. I keep my phone in an otter box case all the time.
    05-08-13 12:00 PM
    ha...it could be faulty cooling. So those internals can be overheating. Something as simple as not enough thermal paste on a component to help spread the heat properly would do it. That would make sense why its so random on who experiences it.
    05-08-13 03:57 PM
    I never had a reboot, I am on Z10STL100-3/10.0.10.672 with bell mobility.

But after reading a lot on it, my observation and theory is that it has something to do with the heat of the phone. Most reboot seems to occur when charging. Maybe some Z10 heats up more. Also, we will see what happens with summer coming cause for those that never had reboots and are starting to have some, maybe it's related to the higher temperature.

I try everything to try and recreate the reboot but had not been able to.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 04:05 PM
    Well with the heat, I'm not so sure. For example I put the phone on the charger around 11pm with 30% left. Then I go to bed and notice when I get up in the morning that it rebooted at 6:12am. Should have been done charging hours ago.
    Also I managed to stress the crap out of it with Skype, getting a 3.78W pull on the power and 108F temp on a video chat, and it doesn't reboot then.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 04:41 PM
    Well with the heat, I'm not so sure. For example I put the phone on the charger around 11pm with 30% left. Then I go to bed and notice when I get up in the morning that it rebooted at 6:12am. Should have been done charging hours ago.
    Also I managed to stress the crap out of it with Skype, getting a 3.78W pull on the power and 108F temp on a video chat, and it doesn't reboot then.

Posted via CB10
    That's interesting. It could be 100% charger related then and those that have spontaneous reboots could be some other issue

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 05:30 PM
    Hmmm, it could be a combo of heat and overcharging.

I would turn on the diagnostics at night when its charging. Settings> Security and Privacy > Diagnostics.

At this point it can only help. Possibly BlackBerry can glean something from the log.
    05-09-13 07:22 AM
    Reboots regardless of bring charged or not.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    05-09-13 07:40 AM
63 123