stl-4 VZW Z10, no reboots, now or ever, running leaks or not, car charger, playbook charger, computer charge, no matter. All good.
    05-07-13 10:36 AM
    Undone,

I have tested my wall outlets in my home and computer lab.

As for debunking my theory, I never experienced reboots whilst off charger, only on charger.

Posted via CB10
    I troubleshoot stuff all day, so I just like fixing crap...can be a personal strength or flaw depending on day/problem

Is it happening after a specific time? Maybe after X-time the battery is capped but overcharging or heating up. Do you play games on the phone? There are a few that heat the phone up pretty good, could worth seeing if its a heat issue.

I wonder if its the battery itself or the inverter. I'd personally lean more towards hardware then the software. Shame you cant run the phone without a battery.Another shame is the lack of pc equivalent pre-os diag tools that just test hardware.
    05-07-13 10:54 AM
    Kay,

It's a device saving function so it doesn't crash the phone, it resets it to prevent adverse conditions

Posted via CB10
    If it was strictly a hardware issue or an isolated power issue, a simple device swap or a software patch to the power monitoring code should fix it, right? Blackberry and Verizon have both been saying that it's a software issue, i.e. something in the OS. Maybe there is something else with how some apps work that causes a similar problem, but it shouldn't cause such a disaster that makes the phone reboot.
    05-07-13 10:57 AM
    If it was strictly a hardware issue or an isolated power issue, a simple device swap or a software patch to the power monitoring code should fix it, right? Blackberry and Verizon have both been saying that it's a software issue, i.e. something in the OS. Maybe there is something else with how some apps work that causes a similar problem, but it shouldn't cause such a disaster that makes the phone reboot.
    Given that OS reloads solve the issue for at least some (though I am not sure if all tried) I am pretty sure there is a software component. There might be a small subset of actual hardware issues but the majority will be software - which is also the only way to explain the large number of working devices plus the issue of different stl models sharing the same issue - they share core parts of the OS but we're not made in the same production run which is the only supporting argument for widespread Hardware issues - a faulty production run.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:12 AM
    Undone,

I like where you are thinking about battery cap charging which could lead to an increase that sets off the panic (thus rebooting the phone).

Following that thinking leads credence to my test cases involving all 3 methods of charging. Laptop charging just doesn't give enough juice to force the panic conditions I am the theorizing.

Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    05-07-13 11:17 AM
    Detlev,

I think power management is a sub component of the os aka a module that runs in the background.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:19 AM
    My STL 100-3 rebooted both on and off the charger. I never used the charger that came with the phone, though.
    05-07-13 11:41 AM
    Detlev,

I think power management is a sub component of the os aka a module that runs in the background.

Posted via CB10
    It possibly would be - but it can't be the only reason. There are bits that do not add up.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:59 AM
    Did you check the leads from the phone to the battery and the contacts on the battery? Does it all look to line up properly?

Completely unrelated, but where my thought comes from: Back in the day Foxcon had a problem with CPU sockets, Intel uses contact plates vs pins, so this particular socket on these motherboards from Foxcon didnt have there contact points lining up quite right, result was burn out spots because of power arcing to the wrong spots. The CPUs continued to function, but it would become a long term issue.
    05-07-13 12:30 PM
    Mine reboots every night, without exception. I have a Red Z10 with leaked OS (latest). On Bell Canada. The charger I use is the one that came with the device.

I am almost convinced it is charger related.

edit: FYI. It has been rebooting more frequently on the leaked OS, but it still rebooted on the stock OS.
    05-07-13 01:21 PM
    I have had reboots on and off charger. Verizon Z10. I have never had a lot of reboots like some have had but Maybe 1 every couple days that I know of. Seems like even less with the leaked OS.
    05-07-13 04:19 PM
    I have experienced reboots when on the charger for more than 5 hours at a time. I use the standard charger that came with my Z10 and the one time I used my PlayBook charger, it took only 2 hours for a reboot to happen. Quite frankly, I've given up on attempting to isolate the problem as I have tried a lot of different things. So, I just turn the phone off at night and turn it on in the morning. Not ideal, but that's what I'm doing.
    05-07-13 04:26 PM
    OP I like your theory, my reboots have only come while on my charger. At least to my recollection.

Currently I'm running the 10.1 leak. I no longer get the power acknowledgement pop-up however I have had 2 random reboots while I was charging. Both right after I plugged my Z10 up.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    05-07-13 04:51 PM
    it seems that a lot of Verizon customer have reboot..
    I also read that Verizon has a logo that come up when turn on

Is it possible that would be the Verizon logo that would make those reboot happening...error coding
    zeteo likes this.
    05-07-13 05:30 PM
    As a former VZW Z10 user, mine would reboot frequently during the day while sitting unplugged on my bed stand, or during a call. I am waiting for reports of 10.1 before I re-purchase.
    05-07-13 06:41 PM
    I have a Verizon Z10 and have never had a random reboot. I consider myself lucky after reading about so many having this problem.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 06:51 PM
    I have experienced reboots when on the charger for more than 5 hours at a time. I use the standard charger that came with my Z10 and the one time I used my PlayBook charger, it took only 2 hours for a reboot to happen. Quite frankly, I've given up on attempting to isolate the problem as I have tried a lot of different things. So, I just turn the phone off at night and turn it on in the morning. Not ideal, but that's what I'm doing.
    I'm curious...do you ever find your phone powered on in the morning, even though you powered it off at night?
    05-07-13 07:27 PM
    That's what I was thinking as well, because I remember a while back how the QNX Micro Kernel system was praised and advertised as supposed to be able to avoid just exactly that. The drum was stirred about that this QNX was supposed to detect offending processes, kill them and restart them, NOT crash the whole system via reboot. That was the whole idea. For now it seems more like that this QNX system does the opposite and crashes whenever there is the slightest thing it doesn't like. And the fact that there still seems to be no rhyme or reason, it is almost like it has frequent PMS...

Posted via CB10

My z10 doesn't reboot and does exactly as you stated. It only seems to be some phones with the reboot issue which I'm thinking is more hardware for that reason.
    05-07-13 07:53 PM
    I went through four z10's because of the reboot issue but I decided to get another z10 and stick with the BlackBerry OS. I was on my backup iPhone 5 for almost two weeks and I hated it.

My reboots occurred sometimes while plugged into the charger, I had several in the middle and at the end of a phone call and the last one I had when using BBM and it just restarted by itself.

I am pretty tech savoy person and I usually great at troubleshooting and I do believe this is a software issue. If it was a hardware related, it would be doing the same thing over and over and be much more frequently. Just my thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 08:04 PM
    There have been several very long threads about this rebooting issue. It has been picked clean with observations, ideas and possible solutions. The only thing that is definitely a fact: Z10 users from across different carriers and geographical locations have experienced random rebooting on their phones. Everything else is conjecture and opinion.

I believe that an upcoming software update will be the fix. I just hope it's sooner rather than later because it's really, really a pain in the arse and it's making BlackBerry look really bad at a time when they don't have room to spare with bad publicity.

Posted via Zeppelin
    05-07-13 08:16 PM
    I'm curious...do you ever find your phone powered on in the morning, even though you powered it off at night?
    No. The phone never turns on by itself.
    05-07-13 08:52 PM
    Verizon Z10. It probably has rebooted while charging once or twice but that is most definitely not what is causing the problem. Most of my reboots, which aren't often, have occurred while off the charger. I was beginning to feel that it was the Android runtime re-initializing. I'm not sure though because it's not happening often enough for me to get an accurate accounting.

I'd like to think that the upcoming update will resolve this but there are people with the leaked versions still experiencing it. Once the OS is in the wild and so many people are using it with various apps running, I would imagine it gets hard to pinpoint what could be going on.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 09:07 PM
    My reboots math the ops always on the charger. Verizon with 10.1
    05-07-13 09:38 PM
    Day 2:

Again, I charged the Z10 with just the laptop charger for 7 hours (I went to bed).

No reboot the entire night. Left Skype, Blaq, and Browser in my Active Frames.

Still there.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    05-08-13 06:20 AM
    Its a medium charge rate as well. The other components charge rapidly.
    05-08-13 06:33 AM
63 123