This is not a deal breaker for me, but I do enjoy having speed dials assigned to letters on the qwerty keyboard. I can call work or home by pressing and holding 1 button. Anyone know how this will work on the all touch Z10?
    01-28-13 02:23 PM
    Maybe by entering the phone app, and then they may have a "favourites" tab.
    I'm not sure if, or how they will implement this...
    Good question! (That will hopefully be answered in 2 days!)
    01-28-13 02:28 PM
    True we will soon know, but I don't like having extra steps involved to simply make a quick call. Like I said its not a deal breaker but a major inconvenience. Where I work we need to stay in constant communication with our group in the field. It's 12 of us and a lot of our communication is time sensitive and short and concise. I shake my head when I see the steps needed for some of the guys at work to simply call someone. I enjoy the ease and speed the Bold 9930 offers me in the field.
    01-28-13 02:36 PM
    Currently on my Torch running OS6 I can press and hold down any number when the dialpad comes up and dial the phone number assigned to it. I don't use it because of a bug that turns the face proximity sensor off so I would constantly mute the phone accidently and the person on the other end always missed what I said.

At the very least I'd expect the same funtion on BB10, although I would much prefer a favorites-type list.
    01-28-13 02:37 PM
    Currently on my Torch running OS6 I can press any number when the dialpad comes up and dial the phone number assigned to it. I don't use it because of a bug that turns the face proximity sensor off so I would constantly mute the phone accidently and the person on the other end always missed what I said.

At the very least I'd expect the same funtion on BB10, although I would much prefer a favorites-type list.

I
    Hmmm, interesting. I did not know this is a feature on the Torch. Does this mean only 9 presets? And isn't number 1 always reserved for dialing voicemail? There is no dedicated button to access the dial pad or phone function so it will involve a few steps just to get into the possible speed dials. The whole world is going all touch screen now so this is not a big deal. Most people get by just fine without a qwerty kb or speed dials so I'm just being picky
    01-28-13 02:45 PM
    Does this mean only 9 presets? And isn't number 1 always reserved for dialing voicemail? There is no dedicated button to access the dial pad or phone function so it will involve a few steps just to get into the possible speed dials.
    With the dialpad, yes there are only 9 and 1 is reserved for voicemail. I think there are other shortcut keys that can be programmed (the letters) but I never used those.

It really is convenient and easy to get at. Press the green phone button and the dialpad comes up and then press the speeddial number so only two presses gets it dialing.

EDIT: I thought I saw an image in a leak that showed a list of contact thumbnail images under a heading "Favorites" in a dial screen. That would be neat. But I can be getting confused with an image of another OS.
    01-28-13 03:28 PM
    On every Blackberry that I have owned, I had "Speed Dial". Even the Torch had this feature with its archiac type clacker keyboard. I have been trying to figure this one out for a while now. I did find that holding down the 1 dialer key got my voice message system. I would be surprised if this phone does not have speed dial...! I got to figure this one out!
    02-06-13 01:49 AM
    Here is how it actually works on the Z10:

When you start the phone app there are three tabs at the bottom: Calls, Contacts, Dial Pad

It will always start you in Calls (call log).

At the very top of the Calls tab are your favourites.

Your favourites are quite large (2 or 3 to a row) and have the contact photo with them.

So basically it is a little different than in the past (and then every other phone), but it is super handy for speed dials and is IMO the perfect way to do it.
    02-06-13 02:15 AM
    I noticed on the Z10 speed dial, the icons (pictures) are very large when there are less than three on each row. I would like to know if there is a way to make them all the same size, even if there is a blank space.

It would be nice of the order of them can also be changed.
    02-14-13 10:15 PM
    I noticed on the Z10 speed dial, the icons (pictures) are very large when there are less than three on each row. I would like to know if there is a way to make them all the same size, even if there is a blank space.

It would be nice of the order of them can also be changed.
    Un fortunately no you just have to make sure you have an even multiple of 3 to have them the smaller size.

You sort of can change the order... They are organized according to the order you add them. so just delete them and add them back in the order you want (a pain yes, but it works)
    02-14-13 10:29 PM
    I actually like the way the speed dial is set up on the Z10. While not as quick as pressing a key and having all the names associated with a letter, or holding a number to a pre-assigned contact it is pretty slick looking. I have mine set up with 5 contacts I call the most and love the way it looks.

Basically you go into your contacts, tap their name which will display their number(s). From here you press and hold the number you want on your speed dial and ta[p "add to speed dial". It allows you to have 9, I currently use 5 and it looks like this:

02-15-13 12:37 AM