We all know by now that the password protection is useless. If they wipe your phone then your password goes away with the wipe. So far the only way to brick your phone is by calling your cell provider to block your pin. What if this proves difficult?

Is there any other way to render your phone useless and completely inoperable when a thief gets a hold of it?

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK : OS 10.0)
    06-12-13 12:31 PM
    We all know by now that the password protection is useless. If they wipe your phone then your password goes away with the wipe. So far the only way to brick your phone is by calling your cell provider to block your pin. What if this proves difficult?

Is there any other way to render your phone useless and completely inoperable when a thief gets a hold of it?

I wouldn't say the password is useless... It'll get rid of all your info if they wipe it. and if you're just trying to deter thieves, no one is going to know ahead of time that the phone would be useless, so they would just steal it anyway if they were already going to. So yeah, BlackBerry Protect and a password. That's the way to go
    06-12-13 12:34 PM
    I wouldn't say the password is useless... It'll get rid of all your info if they wipe it. and if you're just trying to deter thieves, no one is going to know ahead of time that the phone would be useless, so they would just steal it anyway if they were already going to. So yeah, BlackBerry Protect and a password. That's the way to go
    I wish BlackBerry implemented something like Apple's "Activation Lock" feature. I just don't want the satisfaction of them using my phone even after a wipe.

ihys likes this.
    06-12-13 12:41 PM
    someone please help me tell how to back up my z10 using the blackberry link
    06-12-13 12:44 PM
    I wish BlackBerry implemented something like Apple's "Activation Lock" feature. I just don't want the satisfaction of them using my phone even after a wipe.

I'm just not sure what you would get out of it. If the phones stolen, you tell your carrier and they'll blacklist it. If you have BlackBerry Protect turned on, you'll be able to map the device. I just picture that sort of thing causing more problems than its worth. If that's absolutely vital for you though, you may want to switch. You're call
    Camelhmpz and agp101 like this.
    06-12-13 01:05 PM
    someone please help me tell how to back up my z10 using the blackberry link
    Wrong thread buddy. Short version, you connect your Z to your comp, open Link, click on the device at the bottom and select backup
    06-12-13 01:09 PM
    I saw this in the newspaper.

Article in PC Mag
    06-12-13 01:25 PM
    Boobie Trap it with a grenade anytime your out and at night time when sleeping.

They die and you lose the phone in process, but at least they never got away with it.

That's a sure proof way of protecting your device from a thief.

Or

Never buy a phone.

Posted via CB10
    rizdragon likes this.
    06-12-13 01:44 PM

Still no good if original sim is not in the phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 01:45 PM
    I'm just not sure what you would get out of it. If the phones stolen, you tell your carrier and they'll blacklist it. If you have BlackBerry Protect turned on, you'll be able to map the device. I just picture that sort of thing causing more problems than its worth. If that's absolutely vital for you though, you may want to switch. You're call
    Rogers doesn't blacklist the phone, they only disable the sim card. FYI

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 02:34 PM
    The important part is to protect your sensitive information. Once a device is stolen, your info has been removed from it, and you have not been able to track it, I guess at least you know there will soon be another Blackberry fan out there. If you literally bricked a device just because you could no longer use it, all you would be doing is adding to the already-massive global pile of hazardous electronic waste.

I know, I know... that's looking at the big picture, it's not for everyone.
    06-12-13 02:43 PM
    Rogers doesn't blacklist the phone, they only disable the sim card. FYI

Posted via CB10
    They're responsible for passing the info to BlackBerry who in turn will blacklist the pin.
    06-12-13 02:50 PM
    I don't think any of our carriers, here in Canada anyways, blacklist IMEI's.
    06-12-13 04:25 PM
    I don't think any of our carriers, here in Canada anyways, blacklist IMEI's.
    Yup. So basically the thief gets a working phone after the wipe and will simply sell it online at no repercussions. Honestly in most cases the thief won't give a rat's *** about your data to begin with.

06-12-13 04:36 PM
    Ios7 find my phone is a sure way. For bbry all you can do is is keep your data safe. U could epoxy the sim card in which would pretty much ruin it for the thief.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 04:37 PM
    ... Honestly in most cases the thief won't give a rat's *** about your data to begin with.

If you're lucky.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 04:52 PM
    Don't lose your phone

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 09:44 PM
    Don't own one. The whole system in the U.S. and Canada is pretty much designed to not care if you lose your phone. Even though there is ways they could render it useless. More money in carriers pockets.
    agp101 likes this.
    06-12-13 09:45 PM
    This is why you don't buy a device online without original receipt with it. No receipt, no sale.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 10:15 PM
    The most important thing is that your information stays away from thieves, which us what currently happens. Once it's stolen, you call your carrier or BlackBerry and pin lock your device. This had been happening for years and it's a proven system. On top if it, BlackBerry Protect even offers to wipe the phone remotely, display messages on the lock screen, locate the device, have the device beep loudly, etc. Don't get all eye candied over Apple's presentation. It's annoying. Don't be like the rest of the weak minded sheep.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 10:35 PM
    What's weak minded a thief can't wipe and use unless they know your apple I'd?

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 10:40 PM
    What's weak minded a thief can't wipe and use unless they know your apple I'd?

Posted via CB10
    I can't decode your message...
    06-12-13 10:47 PM
    Don't own one. The whole system in the U.S. and Canada is pretty much designed to not care if you lose your phone. Even though there is ways they could render it useless. More money in carriers pockets.
    Exactly. At least in the UK your carrier will blacklist the IMEI - not sure what happens if you buy factory unlocked.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    06-12-13 10:53 PM
    Does it trigger a wipe? If not then your details are never completely safe. Most people's lives are on their smartphones. I'd feel uncomfortable knowing a thief has my information. It's as bad as a their stealing your wallet. Very scary stuff. Oh yeah, and we know there's no bugs on BlackBerry's side if things with this feature. Can't say the same for Apple, it's not even out yet. Not that I trust them with security anyway.

I'll admit, Apple had a nice marketing pitch at WWDC. Gets people every time. All of a sudden it makes everything else look so inferior. I'm glad Apple incorporated something like that, but it's more like : it's about time. Same for Android, they should implement something, but again it's still so basic as opposed to BlackBerry and Protect, which has existed for a long time.

And who says every iPhone user will have this feature enabled? They won't, so thieves will still steal. The only thing that would stop them would be if every Apple device stolen is guaranteed never to be used by anyone else. This doesn't seem to be the case, so as a consumer you're still targeted to steal from.

I'd like to see some real standards put in place by government though. The only problem is the carriers. They want money and thus brings them a lot if money when devices get stolen. People have to buy another. I find it's dangerous when people steal because who knows how desperate they are and what they might pull on you. Then you have people who will fight off theives and boy, what a mistake that can be. I would never. They could be crazy and irrationally kill you. It happens many times and it's really unfortunate. The best way is prevention. Keep the phone close, don't put it out on the table in restaurants, don't let strangers use it, etc. Furthermore, there needs to be some kind of govt intervention or something to help with this. Everyone is essentially walking around with hundreds of dollars on them just in their phones alone. On top of it they hold sensitive information and all that. It just puts consumers at large risk and I don't like it one bit.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 10:53 PM
    I can't decode your message...
    That's the point. Only the true jedi can

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 12:13 AM
41 12