Hey guys,

I recently upgraded from an LG Shine to a Blackberry Z10, bringing me to the modern world with somewhat of a jolt. I am on a 250mb/month contract and as I know this is easily exceed-able, I want to ask some basic questions to give me peace of mind on this issue!

Firstly, If I go into Settings- Network Connections- Mobile Network and turn off Data Services, but leave the mobile network ON, then I can use wi-fi at home without being worried that I will be charged for data if it does lose connection (as is it is likely to do!)????

Secondly, is there a way to check my data usage from the phone, like somewhere which says (you have used xxx mb in the last 30 days etc., like the usage-meter on Windows 8)???

I think that is all for now, please don't hate on me if i posted in the wrong place or if I look like a completely incompetent imbecile!

Cheers
    01-13-14 01:47 PM
    Hey guys,

Firstly, If I go into Settings- Network Connections- Mobile Network and turn off Data Services, but leave the mobile network ON, then I can use wi-fi at home without being worried that I will be charged for data if it does lose connection (as is it is likely to do!)????
    Yes

Secondly, is there a way to check my data usage from the phone, like somewhere which says (you have used xxx mb in the last 30 days etc., like the usage-meter on Windows 8)???Cheers
    There are several apps for that in BlackBerry World

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    01-13-14 01:54 PM
    Ok cheers mate!!!

Really sorry to post threads like this, which are probably asked hundreds of times a day, but I wanted to be clear in my mind!
    Especially if I use my phone around university, don't wanna incur huge additional bills!!!

Thanks though, I'll look up those apps
    01-13-14 01:57 PM
    I'm on Koodo I strictly use wifi at home at the office and coffee shops and where ever else I can hit a wifi hotspot with data off I only use it if no spots available.. I have 2 gig on my plan but have never come close to going over or even coming close to it at all. Koodo has an app where I can monitor all aspects of my plan. And welcome to the amazing world of BB10

My amazing BB Z10
    01-13-14 01:59 PM
    Also never be concerned about asking questions it's only a select few that get upset with repeated questions as to why some make I big deal about that is beyond me.if you had to look in all the posts it would take a few days I'm sure to find your answers anyway.

My amazing BB Z10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-13-14 02:04 PM
    Ye, Loving the speed of my blackberry, and as I don't want much to distract me, the amount of games in the Blackberry world isn't a concern

So with data services off, I can be 100% sure I won't use any of my allowance, if I can't connect to wifi the internet just will not load right?
    01-13-14 02:05 PM
    Ye, Loving the speed of my blackberry, and as I don't want much to distract me, the amount of games in the Blackberry world isn't a concern

So with data services off, I can be 100% sure I won't use any of my allowance, if I can't connect to wifi the internet just will not load right?
    Right!

--------------------

01-13-14 02:10 PM
    And to conserve as much as you can from your data package (for the hard times when you will not have WiFi access), you better set to "Off":

"Send diagnostic and usage data" in Settings > Security and Privacy > Diagnostics

"BlackBerry Link" in Settings > BlackBerry Link

These will help with the battery life, also.

--------------------

01-13-14 02:15 PM
    thanks for the help guys!
    01-13-14 02:17 PM
    Also never be concerned about asking questions it's only a select few that get upset with repeated questions as to why some make I big deal about that is beyond me.if you had to look in all the posts it would take a few days I'm sure to find your answers anyway.

My amazing BB Z10
    If only someone made some type of software plugin that could easily parse through large amount of text for specific keywords to aid a user in finding previously asked questions.

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    01-13-14 02:18 PM
    Absolutely correct no data used if on wifi only

My amazing BB Z10
    01-13-14 02:20 PM
    thanks for the help guys!
    I know everyone answered your question already but welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask questions because there are a lot of helpful people here. Also I suggest searching through some Z10 forums to get a better understanding of your device in general.Hope you enjoy your Z10!
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-13-14 02:25 PM
    If only someone made some type of software plugin that could easily parse through large amount of text for specific keywords to aid a user in finding previously asked questions.

Posted via CB10
    Well played; the irony is that he was probably talking about taking a few days with using site search.
    01-13-14 02:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    While I believe new users should get a free pass for awhile, dam your sarcasm made me laugh..
    01-13-14 02:37 PM
    I'm on Telus. I just go to my account on their website and it tells how much data I have used. Seems likely to me that other providers offer that info as well.
    01-13-14 04:03 PM
    Verizon, too, has an app that shows data use.

But the LEAKED 10.2.1.xxxxxxxxxxxx Has a device monitor which can also show that info.
    01-13-14 05:26 PM
    On AT&T you can dial *data# to get a quick snapshot of usage.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 07:10 PM