Hi everyone,

Just thought of sharing this piece of information with everyone. Basically I was annoyed with Blackberry Link not able to transfer my Contacts from 9900 to Z10. I am not sure if everyone faced/ will face this issue or maybe its me and few other CB members who did faced it for some reason but this is quite annoying. As always, CB users were kind enough to share their work out which was associating all contacts to one email and then adding that email to Z10. The best work out, which I just used and worked out absolutely fine and quick is that pairing your 9900 with Z10 through Bluetooth, then from Bluetooth menu of 9900 select Z10 and there will be an option to transfer contacts, once clicked, all contacts will be transferred to Z10.

Maybe many of you already knew this solution but purpose of posting this article is to deliver information and help those who, like me, are not clever enough to work it out on their own

Thanks
    02-03-13 12:29 AM
    BlackBerry Protect didn't work either?
    02-03-13 12:45 AM
    Blackberry Protect is changed now, it is integrated into settings and now only use to secure and find your device. No auto backups etc.
    LuisCast likes this.
    02-03-13 12:51 AM
    Thanks for sharing.
    02-03-13 12:53 AM
    Blackberry Protect is changed now, it is integrated into settings and now only use to secure and find your device. No auto backups etc.
    WTF ?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS ?!?!? THIS SUCKS !!!!

Seems that BB took away a LOT of the great feature of BB7 to make this device "simpler" to use. I can understand having default settings simple for the average person but many BB faithful really look forward to being able to customize their BB. BB please bring back all the features we grew to love, including the ability for Protect to backup our devices !!!
    lwaysluking and M.Rizk like this.
    02-03-13 12:57 AM
    Well like all other Blackberry believers, I found changes quite irritating as well but then I thought maybe I am so used to of old BB that it will take me time to realize that things are changing and its a totally new OS. I believe they will listen to our feedback and will bring all those features back to us
    LuisCast and NightSlayer like this.
    02-03-13 01:02 AM
    How would one transfer all their Google mail contacts into the Z10? Is that easier by using Caldev or whatever it's called?
    02-03-13 01:05 AM
    What happened to backing up your device to a micro SD card for gransfering devices...does that not work any more either?
    jasg999 and jasperlin like this.
    02-03-13 01:05 AM
    How would one transfer all their Google mail contacts into the Z10? Is that easier by using Caldev or whatever it's called?
    You just simply register your Gmail account on Z10 and contacts will be transferred. My problem was that my phonebook was not linked with any email address so I faced problem. If your contacts are associated with an email, like Gmail, there should not be any problem

What happened to backing up your device to a micro SD card for gransfering devices...does that not work any more either?
    It does work and you can transfer all data from BB Link as well but for some reason, my phone book contacts were the only thing did not transferred onto Z10.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    02-03-13 01:14 AM
    You just simply register your Gmail account on Z10 and contacts will be transferred. My problem was that my phonebook was not linked with any email address so I faced problem. If your contacts are associated with an email, like Gmail, there should not be any problem

It does work and you can transfer all data from BB Link as well but for some reason, my phone book contacts were the only thing did not transferred onto Z10.
    BETTER SOLUTION. Pair z10 and os7 device via bluetooth then on the os7 device go to the bluetooth menu and select the Z10. In the menu select transfer contacts. There you go, easy wasn't it?
    LuisCast, olblue81, rjkolo and 3 others like this.
    02-03-13 02:38 AM
    BETTER SOLUTION. Pair z10 and os7 device via bluetooth then on the os7 device go to the bluetooth menu and select the Z10. In the menu select transfer contacts. There you go, easy wasn't it?
    I think you didn't look properly as this thread was created to tell this solution
    eunoia and BB12MX like this.
    02-03-13 05:01 AM
    Sync your contacts with gmail and once you've verified with that account your contact list will be automatically populated. If you sue Google Calendar, all your calendar entries will be populated as well.
    BB12MX and reidban like this.
    02-03-13 05:34 AM
    You are my hero. Why Link can't transfer an old address book is madness. I've tried doing the bluetooth route using my 9790 but eventhough I select ALL add Contacts to Transfer in the Bluetooth menu, it only transfers one vcf address to the Z10. What am I doing wrong?
    02-03-13 05:37 AM
    FAILED BUT INTERESTING - i tried the BT approach. I have about 1700 entries in the address book, and the BT transfer stopped after 800 successfully transferred, saying 'Transfer Interrupted'. I tried sorting the original address book by surname, then the transfer stopped after about 1200 transfers. The original address book has both English and Chinese entries.
    02-03-13 05:58 AM
    What are my options with my non-OS7 device (9800)?
    Last edited by disneynorth; 02-03-13 at 12:04 PM.
    SJC1 likes this.
    02-03-13 06:03 AM
    I tried this method but it only transfered one contact!
    SJC1 likes this.
    02-03-13 06:17 AM
    Same with me
    02-03-13 06:50 AM
    Thanks for this thread guys. Good to know before my Z10 arrives.
    02-03-13 08:09 AM
    You can also use 3rd party apps like Advance OS & LED by Sultan Al Sooz. The Contact Manager option will give you two ways to transfer contacts: export into .csv or link all your contacts to certain email address (just use gmail and later sync it to your new Z10). I've never tried the 1st option but the 2nd option will do just fine, in my experience.
    02-03-13 08:24 AM
    WTF ?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS ?!?!? THIS SUCKS !!!!

Seems that BB took away a LOT of the great feature of BB7 to make this device "simpler" to use. I can understand having default settings simple for the average person but many BB faithful really look forward to being able to customize their BB. BB please bring back all the features we grew to love, including the ability for Protect to backup our devices !!!
    Everyone. Please remember that bb10 is a whole new os. It wasn't built from bb7. It's brand new. Blackberry did not take bb7 and built onto it or take things away. They took what they had when they bought qnx and built many of the features that are familiar to bb users today. The obvious issue is that they don't have the time to build everything we love about bb7 into bb10 without delaying the release a few more years. I'm sure some of the missing features we see today will come down the pipeline eventually.
    lwaysluking and ctuffy like this.
    02-03-13 08:58 AM
    so.... blackberry desktop doesnt work?
    can't I just get "switch device"????
    02-03-13 09:02 AM
    LOL wow, it's sad how many people don't even read the FIRST post of a thread. For your sake, please read before posting so you don't make a fool of yourself.
    02-03-13 09:13 AM
    don't have my z10 yet but i was wondering how to do that. thanks for the tip
    02-03-13 10:21 AM
    Big applause on a new system, but don't think that's an excuse for not making seemingly obvious things happen. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that once the new phone is out, first things people do would be to transfer contacts/calendars etc.... The more one thinks about this, the more disappointed one becomes!

Everyone. Please remember that bb10 is a whole new os. It wasn't built from bb7. It's brand new. Blackberry did not take bb7 and built onto it or take things away. They took what they had when they bought qnx and built many of the features that are familiar to bb users today. The obvious issue is that they don't have the time to build everything we love about bb7 into bb10 without delaying the release a few more years. I'm sure some of the missing features we see today will come down the pipeline eventually.
    LuisCast and djrupey like this.
    02-03-13 11:17 AM
    Wow, I hope that by the US release they have this worked out better. They should have had an option in the Link software to switch device, just like they did in Desktop Manager.
    02-03-13 11:27 AM
181 123 ...