Link software behaves like it can see the contacts and allows you to selectively import that file without any other data. It doesn't error.....but it doesn't transfer the contacts data. Sorry BB but this is a basic need of a BB user moving from an old phone to BB10. The UK twitter feed is not answering this support question or the other question I have about Twitter - why can't I see my Lists in Twitter and why can't I have more than one Twitter account on by BB10 (one personal, one company)?????
    02-03-13 12:42 PM
    Let's keep fingers crossed that we might have some ultimate solution this week?!
    02-03-13 11:59 PM
    Guys basically all the tech support I tried to contact regarding this, they avoided the question and never answered back, I heard same from other users as well. I am expecting them to throw an update of BB Link sooner than later. For the guys who said they manage to transfer only one contact via bluetooth, please associate all your contacts with an email and then add that email to Z10. Easiest way I recommend is to export all your contacts into .csv file using BB Desktop manager and then upload them to Gmail via your PC. Hopefully that will work for everyone.

so.... blackberry desktop doesnt work?
    can't I just get "switch device"????
    For Z10 there is new desktop manager called BB Link. That does allow you switch devices but for some reason doesn't transfer contacts. Also, BB Link will not give you and option on what you want to transfer from your old phone, it will transfer everything, like media files, bookmarks etc
    02-04-13 01:08 AM
    As much as I applaud and always support the CB team for their insight and being an influential voice for the Blackberry user community, I cannot help but feel disappointed that their reviews did not point out some very obvious flaws with the BB10 and Z10 experience. I do not mean bugs/issues that may affect a few people, more to do with functionality that are missing in BB10.
    andy957 and LuisCast like this.
    02-04-13 07:35 AM
    Everyone. Please remember that bb10 is a whole new os. It wasn't built from bb7. It's brand new. Blackberry did not take bb7 and built onto it or take things away. They took what they had when they bought qnx and built many of the features that are familiar to bb users today. The obvious issue is that they don't have the time to build everything we love about bb7 into bb10 without delaying the release a few more years. I'm sure some of the missing features we see today will come down the pipeline eventually.
    Yes its a new platform and yes it need not be perfect out of the gate. But inherent in the idea of investing in a new platform is the ability to a) upgrade existing BB owners easily and perhaps more importantly b) convert Android and Iphone users. There is no excuse for not having an easy method for all users to upload their contacts and calendars cross platform. Moreover, BB should have support micro sites to show users how easy it is to switch. This is a consumer driven business. Make it easy for consumers.
    02-04-13 08:21 AM
    How can we change what email the contact is associated to? Mine are mostly all hotmail but I'd like to change them to Gmail
    02-04-13 08:52 AM
    I was seriously disappointed in this issue too, and kinda glad that im not the only one.
    Thankfully my prayers were answered when I added my Gmail account.

Shocked that Blackberry Protect has been stripped back the way it has, was SO helpful to have before, and now its almost rubbish. Also I had an issue when registering on my BIS, and that it now doesnt upload all the email settings to the new device. Guessing this is due to the BIS requirement being removed from BB talkplans.

Its a shame, I have always loved swapping devices, so seemless and easy, but suddenly its a chore!

Glad the handset itself has turned out OK, or I would be seriously fed up right now.
    LuisCast likes this.
    02-04-13 09:00 AM
    This is significant, I hope Kevin and team address it soon and that a solution is put out in link prior to US release (there has to be something good for having to wait!)
    ctuffy likes this.
    02-04-13 09:01 AM
    Great post OP, going to pick up my Z10 tomorrow and need to start to use the phone right away, I hope BT method for transferring contacts will work with OS6(9800) too.
    02-04-13 09:07 AM
    Why link doesn't take care of this is mind blowing. I've transferred contacts between 3 Blackberries with desktop manager in the past, why remove this functionality now?
    02-04-13 09:37 AM
    Desktop manager cant connect to BB10 devices, although I am sure I saw a hidden option for device swap on Link, but for some reason it could not fully backup my 9900.
    02-04-13 09:49 AM
    This is significant, I hope Kevin and team address it soon and that a solution is put out in link prior to US release (there has to be something good for having to wait!)
    Now I wonder why it was put out in the UK market first. Maybe test it and improve it before putting it out to a bigger market such as USA?
    02-04-13 10:12 AM
    Everyone. Please remember that bb10 is a whole new os. It wasn't built from bb7. It's brand new. Blackberry did not take bb7 and built onto it or take things away. They took what they had when they bought qnx and built many of the features that are familiar to bb users today. The obvious issue is that they don't have the time to build everything we love about bb7 into bb10 without delaying the release a few more years. I'm sure some of the missing features we see today will come down the pipeline eventually.
    Being able to move your contacts and calendar should be available now and not a feature we may get months down the road!
    02-04-13 10:26 AM
    Hello,

I tried this last bluetooth suggestion and while it tells me my contacts have been received on my Z10, I go into contacts and yet nothing is there. What am I doing wrong?

Rgs,
    IJ1972
    02-05-13 05:24 AM
    Still only getting one contact transferred using bluetooth. What am I doing wrong?
    02-05-13 05:27 AM
    It is almost inconceivable that more planning was not done so new users could migrate from their old BB to the new. Sync with Outlook should have been the 2nd option.
    BB12MX likes this.
    02-05-13 07:00 AM
    OK yes I know the first post was a solution but I have some further info which may help.

When using link, it will transfer things from an old BB OS to the new. I have tried this on an OS6 device and some of the stuff copies over fine.

The one problem I had was that as the old BB was synced via a BES server, it would not transfer the all contacts or calendar. Instead link showed a message to say that I would need to re-sync with a BES server. Slight problem is that we do not as yet, have BES10.

The way around this was as in the posts above, create a gmail or outlook account that handles active sync and transfer that way.

For info - I tried the Bluetooth option and as in some of the posts above, only a few contacts copied over OK. I wonder if this is to do with some of the contacts not synced via a BES server?

For those that use memo's look in the remember app. They go in there.
    02-05-13 09:50 AM
    Still only getting one contact transferred using bluetooth. What am I doing wrong?
    Out of interest, was your BlackBerry hooked up to a BES server?
    02-05-13 09:51 AM
    Worked perfect when I went into blackberry link and backed up a legacy backup from my 9780 and selected only contacts now the phone numbers are there and you can also link contacts nicely together from within the contacts app
    02-05-13 10:19 AM
    Link worked perfectly both times I tried it on my Dev Alpha and just now on my Z10.
    02-05-13 10:22 AM
    Can you get a "Category" field in your contacts, like I had on my 8100?
    It was really great being able to get a subset of contacts for searching. I tried yesterday on Z10 display model at Costco yesterday, but couldn't do it, and neither could the sales rep who seemed pretty up-to-date on things. I tried putting a Category in the Notes field and searching on it, but couldn't get that to work either.
    02-05-13 11:25 AM
    I always enjoyed transfering Contacts manually for some reason, every new phone i would sit down and go through the list. Deleting some, adding some and editing a few! Ill prob do the same when i get my new Z10 (March )
    02-05-13 11:41 AM
    OP and others like you... sorry to hear about your specific challenges using Link to transfer your contacts and other data. Did you try to wipe your Z10 and restart the device transfer process?

Also, just to clear the air for the others on this post that see this as some kind of example of 'another BB fail'... Link is designed to transfer all your contacts (and other relevant info) from legacy BBOS to BB10 (see Personal contacts, files & media - Canada).

I'm doing it right now -- and while it oddly seems to be taking forever to copy back all the data (pics & music especially), I can already see all my contacts with all their info on the new device.

Again, Link is built to transfer all your contacts (and other info) to your BB10. Unfortunately its seems the OP and some others are having an issue, but this isn't some kind of oversight...
    02-05-13 11:45 AM
    I hope BlackBerry are listening because this is seriously pissing me off and it is going to seriously **** off tens of thousands of other users. Transferring Contacts from one device to another is a key process when buying a new phone. If BB can't make it easy for average users like me and my not-even-remotely-geeky sister to copy her phone list across from old phone to new phone, REGARDLESS OF THE FACT THAT BB10 IS ALL NEW, they are going to get a lot of Z10s returned. If I can't do it easily from a $%%^^ phone to the Z10, maybe I could understand, but from a legacy BlackBerry to BB10 it is unforgiveable. OK, maybe it is a one-off situation, and no doubt once we are all in the BB10 ecosystem
    we won't have this problem, but BB should have foreseen this and devised a one-off solution to transfer critical information like Contacts from Old os to New os. If they haven't, they'd better start working overtime on it.
    I am not a geek, far from it, but I do have some understanding of what is needed to use IT devices. My sister has none. She can barely make phone calls and send texts on her smartphone, and has never browsed on the 'net. Transferring her contacts to her new Z10 would be a non-starter, so I will not bother to recommend one to her, no matter how glorious the Compass app is. FFS, if BB want to succeed in the mass market place this sort of thing needs to be DEAD EASY.

Anyway, I have spent most of the day musing about how to get my contacts across from my Storm with 5.0 os to my new Z10. I'm not all that au fait with email, but I have set up an Outlook.com account in the hope that this ActiveSync thing might work. I have tried Bluetooth and failed. I am browsing Crackberry for useful tips and ideas -thanks everyone that is helping IT amateurs like me. So far, 48 hours into ownership of the Z10, I have just three Contacts moved across -my BBM ones. As of now, it looks like I am going to be doing a lot of typing over the next few weeks, laboriously inputting all my Contacts into my Z10 the old fashioned way. If you know different, I am all ears........
    02-05-13 12:01 PM
    I've just seen the post above mine; if I have overlooked something or done something wrong with Link, then I apologise for my rant... but I carefully backed up everything from my Storm on both Desktop Manager and Link before I started, and tried to follow the on-screen prompts etc ...but it didn't work for me. I will try again tonight. My point remains though, if BB want to succeed these sorts of things should work without a hitch, and although I have never had an iPhone and don't know whether it is true that "things just work", the perception that it is is why iPhone now has nearly 50% of US smartphone sales.

I have to say though that the onscreen prompts and general guidance on the Z10 is excellent, way way better than it was for the Storm four years ago, and although this Contacts problem is annoying I have no doubt that I have already fallen in love with my Z10.
    02-05-13 12:08 PM
181 1234 ...