Great , of course my wife is working late late tonight, will have too wait even longer now to try her DU card in my z10
    CounselorUAE likes this.
    03-04-13 09:10 AM
    GREAT!
    Used DU sim doesn't need to be attached with a BlackBerry Plan - Just making my update to 10.0.10.82 via WiFi, 130MB.
    03-04-13 09:28 AM
    @talal55,
    is it necessary that the used DU number / sim has BB plan subscription?
    I don't know !! I tried my daughter's du sim with plan but could't pick up the update !!
    CounselorUAE likes this.
    03-04-13 09:32 AM
    Talal55, thanks!
    Any DU sim works .
    And now I read you failed . . .
    Try to describe what you did. I just plugged a DU sim - and had to activate my WiFi of course because the download is 130MB.
    Did you activate your WiFi?
    03-04-13 09:46 AM
    Why Etisalat is sleeping already ??!! ....why they take soo long ?
    03-04-13 10:00 AM
    Talal55, thanks!
    Any DU sim works .
    And now I read you failed . . .
    Try to describe what you did. I just plugged a DU sim - and had to activate my WiFi of course because the download is 130MB.
    Did you activate your WiFi?
    Thanks for the reply
    I tried with wifi and without , I think this is because i have STL 100-2 and the update for 100-1 !! this is what i can think of why it did't update my device !!
    03-04-13 10:01 AM
    @talal55,
    maybe that's the reason, don't know.

Generally,
    The update is soemthing for a relaxed evening hour. Download and installation took approx. 45 minutes.
    For all mates with inpatience:
    Rebooting time after update = approx. 7 minutes
    plus new BB hub preparing after that = approx. 3 minutes

@Maik M, because it is Etisalat
    03-04-13 10:08 AM
    Why Etisalat is sleeping already ??!! ....why they take soo long ?
    So unfair I swear, thinking of switching to du, they support the Z10 way better than etisalat
    CounselorUAE likes this.
    03-04-13 10:09 AM
    My only reason to continue (a while) with Etialat is, that I have one of the "old" BB Global Unlimited Plans with them - unlimited data roaming .
    But as soon as they revise that . . .
    03-04-13 10:13 AM
    I found an old Du sim now...I will cute it to Micro and then hope it still works and I can get that bloody update....lol
    CounselorUAE likes this.
    03-04-13 10:28 AM
    so now it's getting interesting. When I started the phone it says "Sim not activated" however I open Wifi and check for update and voila there it is. However I'm not trusting this old sim card , so I removed it and restarted the Z10 without Sim...went to check for updates and it shows up again, even when there is no sim inserted ....started the update...now I hope all goes smooth...
    CounselorUAE likes this.
    03-04-13 10:45 AM
    Thanks for the reply
    I tried with wifi and without , I think this is because i have STL 100-2 and the update for 100-1 !! this is what i can think of why it did't update my device !!

I am on the same boat as you with an stl100-2 device..
    no luck for us , am in process of getting a sim from UK, thn should get the update ,
    03-04-13 11:10 AM
    My only reason to continue (a while) with Etialat is, that I have one of the "old" BB Global Unlimited Plans with them - unlimited data roaming .
    But as soon as they revise that . . .
    Ahem, you know that in case you are using a BB10 the "unlimited global data roaming" is limited to 20 MB per Month of roaming data. And as BB10 doesn't use BIS, it uses this amount of data in a heartbeat. Basically the global unlimited plan has lost ALL it's appeal. I have it too and need to change into unlimited local.
    Source: Etisalat - Mobile - Prepaid for Visitors (Ahlan)

BlackBerry Global

AED 299
    per month
    - For Postpaid Mobile accounts only
    - Unlimited Local BlackBerry usage
    - Roaming BlackBerry usage up to 20MB **
    - Subscription to 10 email accounts
    - Access to YouTube and other online streaming services
    - Internet Browsing from device browser
    - Instant Messaging/BBM
    - App World and other device applications
    - Social Networking websites
    - 14.4Mbps Internet speed when inside the UAE
    - 2Mbps Internet speed when roaming outside the UAE
    CounselorUAE likes this.
    03-04-13 11:11 AM
    I think the old contracts are still working....so Global Unlimited....they just can't cancel or change an old contract....This is for new contracts I think....
    CounselorUAE likes this.
    03-04-13 11:22 AM
    Watch them!

The old contract was based on agreements using the BIS contract while roaming for a fixed fee. As this is not anymore, I am 100% sure that they will just charge you when you change your device. Do you really think Etisalat would foot your $5,000 dollar bill when you do real data roaming? Dream on.

Should we be informed about this change? Absolutely. Do you think someone at big E cares enough to do that? No way. I had to run after Dhs 999 they charged me for data in one month while I had unlimited global for 2 years. They claimed, you used the wrong APN. I said what?? Proof please. Data is data and unlimited is unlimited. They finally re-imbursed me. After 2 years and calling them EVERY SINGLE MONTH.
    The only reason I am still with Etisalat is that in the UAE we still have no number portability.
    The carriers that tell the world they are the most advanced are claiming "technical problems". While even the most backwards developing countries have that.... well well.
    CounselorUAE likes this.
    03-04-13 11:29 AM
    And i was actually thinking of switching from Du to Etisalat!! Don't think so now...
    03-04-13 11:32 AM
    Mates,
    as soon as I am travelling next time, I will monitor it (having an E4ME account where I can check accrued charges on day to day basis).
    Will keep you posted.
    Being since 2004 Etisalat customer with one and the same mobile number, I understand your concern regarding number portability very well, koolpep.
    I for myself am meanwhile even willing to go through the hassles of switching to another (DU) number. And this is MEGA hassle - registered numbers with banks, immigration, courier services, etc. etc.
    03-04-13 11:36 AM
    @nmonbb,
    don't do that!!!
    Regarding the new BB Unlimited Global Plans the included data roaming is:
    Etislut: 20MB
    DU: 1GB

Any questions?
    koolpep likes this.
    03-04-13 11:37 AM
    OMG .. But etisalat local unlimited is really unlimited right ?????
    03-04-13 11:51 AM
    talal55,
    the local unlimited is really unlimited . . . till now
    03-04-13 11:57 AM
    Guys I'm on Du with STL100-2 and I did not get the update. Tried removing the sim and still no luck.
    So its pretty obvious that this update is for the STL100-1.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 12:02 PM
    Mates,
    as soon as I am travelling next time, I will monitor it (having an E4ME account where I can check accrued charges on day to day basis).
    Will keep you posted.
    Being since 2004 Etisalat customer with one and the same mobile number, I understand your concern regarding number portability very well, koolpep.
    I for myself am meanwhile even willing to go through the hassles of switching to another (DU) number. And this is MEGA hassle - registered numbers with banks, immigration, courier services, etc. etc.
    Totally agree, customer since 2005 here.

Just for the laughs:

Number portability announced again last week:
    Mobile number portability launch once UAE telecoms operators ready: TRATelecoms & IT - Zawya
    TRA finalises inter-network number portability | GulfNews.com

But it was announced before:
    In 2009 it was announced to come in 2010:
    UAE to introduce number porting in 2010 - report - Telecompaper
    But this is not the earliest, here:
    2006: du blames number porting for launch uncertainty - IT Business - News & Features - ITP.net

Then in 2007 it was announced to be launched in 2008:
    Mobile penetration will slow next year - Emirates 24/7

Then again announced every year following this, culminating into the announcement last week in 2013.

Here we are 2013- 2006 = 7 (SEVEN) years later. Still the little technology glitches keep on popping up.

In Germany they have number portability for fixed lines since 1998 and for mobile lines since 2002. So 4 years before du even EXISTED the problem was solvable. Excuse me laughing when I hear for anything telco related: Technical problems/glitches.

Mind game:
    Etizealot and dada (as examples) let's examine this:

Follow the money!!

Etizealot owned 60% by the federal government.
    dada 40% owned by the federal goverment.
    But now it gets interesting dada is also owned 20% by Mubadalalala and 20% by Teeeeeeecom (Duba on the iHolding).

Now if I were mubadalalala and Duba on the iHolding, I would instruct all the companies I own or have stakes in to move all employees and phone lines to the carrier that I partly own as well, makes sense no? I recoup some of the money I pay for telecom services. And that are quite a LOT of numbers that would be with dada in a heartbeat.

That's why someone in an Etizealot office always pulls out the dada ethernet cable and bingo we have a technical glitch. ;-) I can not hear you, sshhhshhsshshshswkjejcnasdjaskjdan sorry I hang up. Let's try again next year, ok?

Of course the above is just a hypothetical mind game in my phantasy and any similarity to real corporations are absolutely coincidental and random.
    03-04-13 12:12 PM
    @Talal55:

I am sure the unlimited plan is as unlimited as the other plans, so a fair use policy applies basically making it LIMITED to 10GB.

I quote:
    Unlimited is sort of like freehold, by the way: by unlimited, Etisalat actually means a 'fair usage' 10Gb maximum. Out of plan extras cost 50 fils per meg, which is a bit less than the Dhs15 per meg they charge on the default 10Mb package. Yes, you heard right. Dhs15 (a tad over $4) per megabit.

and here:
    http://www.etisalat.ae/blackberry/alternative.html
    see the "star" * at every unlimited plan?

But maybe they just throttle you after a while as they claim here:
    http://www.etisalat.ae/eportal/en/pe...y-charges.html
    Disclaimer: In order to provide the best experience to all our customers, Etisalat reserves the right to temporarily reduce the data speeds for users with abnormally high consumption.

Abnormally high - you see. That is a very precise measure. But throttling (meaning limiting your download speed from 14.4 Mbs to modem speed 64k is still better than just shutting you off. ;-)

Hence you can track your data usage on e4me.ae and there is even in your unlimited plan a you used xxxxx of your xxxxxxx plan. x being numbers.

@Counselor:
    be careful while roaming, some data roaming and call roaming charges take up to 4 weeks to appear on your bill and I doubt they directly deduct it from your "local" data usage mentioned in the e4me.ae if at all.

But please let me know what your test results are ;-)
    Last edited by koolpep; 03-04-13 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added info
    03-04-13 12:27 PM
    Number Portability in UAE is equal to revision of Companies Law . . . and this . . . and that.
    Announcements are never followed by action
    03-04-13 12:33 PM
    Guys I'm on Du with STL100-2 and I did not get the update. Tried removing the sim and still no luck.
    So its pretty obvious that this update is for the STL100-1.

Posted via CB10
    That is something i did't anticipate when i bought STL100-2 !! we need an alternative to update our phones because we wont get it from du or etisalat until they start selling 100-2
    03-04-13 12:37 PM
82 1234