OP it's your personal business what device you and family choose to use, so I'm simply dumbfounded why you are "Crying me a river" in the public? Don't tell me you need some sort of therapy because you don't like BB any more?. Hope you find peace and happiness because "Life is for the living".
    09-17-14 03:12 PM

but seamless access to good quality services and apps is more what I'm speaking about.
    Can you elaborate on these? maybe I am indeed missing something! (service or app) Also, would be nice to have your feedback once novelty is not part of the equation.
    09-17-14 03:15 PM
    Google services, which EVERYONE seems to use at least one or many of their apps, obviously work a million times better on android.
    Hardware wise there are a lot of really good android phones out there, I will give you that. But Google's android is nothing but a platform for advertising, data mining and tracking. People with your mindset obviously have not read all of Google's terms of service and privacy policy.
    Do you ACTUALLY read and pay attention to what Google's services and apps want access to? And you are OK with that?
    People who really care about their privacy will stick to BlackBerry. Say goodbye to your privacy.
    09-17-14 03:33 PM
    Wow. It's pretty effin good.

A little background, we've been a BlackBerry household for many years. Since the early Curves to the Bolds to the Torch and now the Z10, we've been loyal and preached their value as a 'communication first' device that served all our needs.

The game has changed and I fear I've been hiding under a blanket of stubbornness, ego, and pride, holding out for what may never come from the brand I'm so familiar with.

With BlackBerry clearly focused on enterprise, I'm really not sure why there's even ONE consumer customer let alone the few million that are holding on. I can't speak for the value in 3rd world where marketshare might be more because of data costs or other factors, but for 1st world regions I don't see any comparison. Using my wife's GS5 really made me realize first hand why everyone has moved, it does everything.

For the people that respond with 'its all preference, whatever works for you is what you should get', I caution you to look around. Aside from wanting to be different and standing out from the crowd in a less capable way, what is your argument in 2014? It used to be 'tool not a toy', I preached it too. Moot point now, every phone can be productive and with 3rd party app support you can now do MUCH MORE on a platform that has so much more available.

When bb10 was released I had a lot of faith. When ported apks became more available, followed by Snap and Amazon, I continued that faith. But let's all be honest - the experience is subpar. Getting something to 'work' on bb10 does not equal having it work well on a platform it's intended for. Google services, which EVERYONE seems to use at least one or many of their apps, obviously work a million times better on android.

Watching the Crackberry site deteriorate is depressing too. The fact Kevin left the helm and has refocused effort into diversifying the sister sites speaks to the fact this ship has sailed. Would he have done that years ago when BlackBerry was on top? Never. I'm not criticizing, it makes perfect business sense and I'd do it too, I'm just speaking to the fact all the signs are there and they've been there for quite some time.

In my opinion, BlackBerry is no longer for consumers. Period. Dismal numbers, dismal dev support as a result. Unless everyone on this site is a business user that has a vested interest in security, BES, and anything related, I find it difficult to see what the consumer appeal still is. Think about how many employees Google has dedicated to improving every little form and feature of their OS. How about all the 3rd party devs that support Android? Now think about BlackBerry. I could be wrong but I picture 5 guys in a room, and a couple 3rd party devs who have other jobs putting a 'best effort' approach into my mobile experience. It's taken me awhile but I now realize I AM A CONSUMER, and as one, I need to go with a platform that has the proper support for them.

I guess my point if any in this long winded rant is that whatever consumer preference there is to BlackBerry could just be shortsighted 'I'm used to it' mentality. I'm used to it too, and then I used the GS5 for a few hours and am now almost used to that, BUT with tons of added functionality that I've never had or may ever get with BlackBerry. I like the hub, but the notification shade works just as well. I like the keyboard but the stock galaxy keyboard is decent and SwiftKey makes it that much better. There's a lot of things I like and prefer with bb10, but I'm realizing, however late, that there's just as good things to get used to with android PLUS the million other things it seems BlackBerry can't do.

Let me close by saying thank you to Crackberry - I've been a member for years and both helped and been helped with many issues. I'll still check back, but I think I'll be getting an android in the coming weeks which I fear is a decision long over due. I still believe in BlackBerry as a company, and I most certainly think they can be a success in the enterprise space with their strength in services and security. I wish them success and maybe someday will return if the tides turn and their consumer offering becomes compelling, right now and sadly for some time, it simply is not.

Thanks for reading, this is clearly for my personal therapy, so I appreciate the outlet to vent

EDIT: changed some 'we's to 'I's to clarify this of course is my own personal opinion and experience. I feel like as part of the long standing BlackBerry community I share many similar sentiments to others, and I suppose those are the ones I'm writing for.

Posted via CB10
    OP good luck with the S5. If lack of privacy and security doesn't bother you then go ahead. Remember that you are pretty much being tracked all the time (Google's bread and butter) and there is not much between a hacker and you. It's pretty much being on a bike on a highway instead of being in a car. I am using Android right now (Xperia Z) and plan to get BB10 phone on my next upgrade. I am always scared of doing any financial transaction on my phone.
    lift likes this.
    09-17-14 03:35 PM
    I get that there are users here that have used other platforms for much more time than I have, and to those who still prefer BlackBerry in spite of its limitations, I acknowledge you.
    You know, you started off on a the wrong foot with a condescending tone, apologized (giving me hope), and then just launched back into the same rhetoric. At this point I am starting to question your sincerity.

I have news for you. Everyone who uses a smart phone, regardless of make, model, or platform, uses it "in spite of its limitations". Everyone. Now the limitations will differ from one to the next, but they all have them. If BB was gone tomorrow, and I had to move to Android (iPhone is not an option), I would suffer more than I do now with my Z30. That's the point.

For my work, what I do is constant communication and exchange of documents, across multiple messaging methods, all day long. That's my job. It's almost like BB10 was built just for me. With the HUB, I can quickly sort through tons of messages, and handle the attachments, regardless of who they came from or how. The file manager, with integrated Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, and RFA is just great for my productivity - even pulling up documents from many years ago through RFA. The way it is all integrated with the OS makes it flow extremely well. I don't know what you do for a living - maybe Android is better suited to you - but I never questioned your ability to make your own decision for yourself. So much on this Z30 is quick and efficient - and I make big use of word substitution entries to make it even quicker.
    I said it before, stick to your personal story. Honestly, most people here will welcome your views. Just stop projecting your own needs on everyone else.
    09-17-14 04:14 PM
    I used the GS5 for a few hours and am now almost used to that, BUT with tons of added functionality that I've never had or may ever get with BlackBerry. I like the hub, but the notification shade works just as well. I like the keyboard but the stock galaxy keyboard is decent and SwiftKey makes it that much better. There's a lot of things I like and prefer with bb10, but I'm realizing, however late, that there's just as good things to get used to with android PLUS the million other things it seems BlackBerry can't do.
    What type of functionality does your SG5 have that BB does not?

What are some examples of the million other things your SG5 can do that BB cannot?
    09-17-14 04:20 PM
    Here is were you should have posted instead of starting a thread. Good luck with your new phone.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...thread-260887/
    I think this thread has run its course. Let's just carry on with discussions here. Good luck to OP.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    russworman and lift like this.
    09-17-14 04:24 PM
32 12