Battery life is totally fine, I've been using mine since 8am this morning, it's now almost 6pm and I'm on 52% - I've made several reasonably long calls, done my usual texting and emails.
    Wow. That's impressive. I've had it off the charger since 8:30am. It is currently at 65% and it is only 1pm. It is an improvement over yesterday though.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 12:00 PM
    I went from a 9900, which i loved, to a SG3 which i didnt love at all... I did get used to typing on the samsung; after a few months of using the SG3, if you asked me I probably would have told you the touchscreen typing isnt that bad. When the Q came out, I went to play with a demo model at a store, What I found was, even though i had gotten used to the touchscreen, being back on the phyiscal just felt so so much nicer to me. I hadnt realized how much I had missied it..

Now the SG3 collects dust, and im on the Q solely. I can say that I dont miss the touchscreen typing AT ALL. I really do wish I had a bigger screen, but if its a choice between screen real estate and a real keyboard; well, keyboard it is.

I hope they make a Q30 with a larger 16:9 screen; that would be my ideal device.
    Last edited by Karan Mohal; 02-12-14 at 03:07 PM.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-12-14 02:56 PM
    I really do wish I had a bigger screen, but if its a choice between screen real estate and a real keyboard; well, keyboard it is.

I hope they make a Q30 with a larger 16:9 screen; that would be my ideal device.
    These 2 points right here. I'm thinking the same thing. I also wouldn't mind a slider to take advantage of both a physical keyboard and a 16:9 screen. They would have to get it right though. Not to thick with a strong sliding mechanism. I would be sold on that. Just have to wait until I can get an upgrade or a raise. Lol. Whichever comes first.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 03:33 PM
    As you can see from my signature I have mainly used QWERTY BBs to date and would simply say I made the switch to a Z10 and haven't looked back. I was worried I would want a physical keyboard again but after a short adjustment time I wouldn't give up the screen real estate of my Z10. Plus, the virtual keyboard rocks on the Z10. I would say give it some time. The keyboard on the Z10 learns how you type and will adjust plus you will obviously improve in your typing skills as well. I still hit the "B" key a lot instead of the space bar by mistake but the predictive text on the Z10 seems to always have what I was trying to type sitting right there on above the space bar ready to be flipped up into my email or message.

As far as your battery drain is concerned I do not know your usage habits so I can't really comment wisely on that. I typically have about 25%-35% battery life at the end of the day around 10:00pm after taking it off the charger around 7:00am.

Hang in there and give it some time!

I have been noticing lately a small trend of CrackBerry members dumping the Z10 for the Q10 and the Z30. Since I had started my BB10 experience on a Q10 and have used physical keyboards for about as long as I've owned a smartphone, I though it might be a good idea to try an all touch device. I can't really afford a Z30 and, to tell you the truth, I'm a cash-strapped student so I can't really afford a Z10 either. But I love my tech and I will always find a means to get my hands on the things I want. Legally of course.

My search began with ebay. The best price you can find is probably around $110USD (~$120CAD) and it goes quick. People are buying up these beat up old Z10s like hotcakes. Seriously. My best guess is for parts. My only hope of getting a decent working unit was to wait for the right ones and jump into fierce bidding wars. It would jump to $200CAD pretty quickly if it was a decent device. I then decided to check local ads and to my surprise the other day I found someone selling their Z10 for dirt cheap. It had some issues. Wouldn't boot and it sort of looks like it was thrown around daily. Luckily the screen was good still with a few minor scuffs. I picked it up for half of what it would go for on ebay and took it home. Let's just say I got it up and running in no time. That is totally thanks to CrackBerry forums and it's genius members (that includes the ones that aren't officially 'geniuses' yet). You guys rock. I also found out it was unlocked. Score another for this broke guy. The only thing is if it was blocked. That would suck. But nope. Not blocked either. I won the day. Fully functioning Z10 for dirt cheap.

So now I am a Z10 owner and my CrackBerry Q10 is delegated to storage. At least until I get nostalgic or maybe decide to throw this against the wall too. Who knows. Today was only day one of using a Z10 coming from a Q10 and before that a Bold 9900 and before that a Curve 9360 and before that some kind of crazy Samsung thing. Here are some observations:

Things I need to get used to:

Virtual keyboard. It feels super weird but it is only day one. I've used numerous iPhones and Androids but never as daily drivers. The flick to type is used less when I'm firing off a quick message though. I just give in to instinct. Made a ton of typos. Oh boy. I find I was editing my messages a lot. Lets hope I learn quickly. Oh no shortcuts either. Rats.

Charging my battery half way through the day. I find it funny that I had a spare battery, charging bundle, quick charger, and car charger for my Q10. All never used. And here I was complaining of having no money. Go figure. A spare battery is most needed with a Z10. No doubt about that. I have never had to charge my phone half way through a day. Never. Not the wacky Samsung, not the 9360, not the 9900 and not the Q10 either.

Things I like, nay, love about this phone:

The screen. It is very nice. It's not like I haven't seen one before but playing games or reading CB or anything like that is so much cleaner to me. Makes BB10 experience much more fluid. BB10 seems to make more sense on a touchscreen but it still worked well for the Q.

The weight and feel. It feels more natural in my hand than I expected. I like that.

The OS. I already mentioned it. I know that sounds weird since I'm not coming from a different OS. BB10 is very nicely done on a touchscreen device. It works well for a qwerty but considering it didn't feel natural to me until we started hitting 10.2, it needs some getting used to.

So begins my journey into a touchscreen world. I feel like I am missing a lot though. A physical keyboard has it's advantages. But, like I said, It's only day 1.

To turn this little story into a discussion, I would like to hear some of your stories about switching from QWERTY to Virtual and how long it took you to get used to it. In the Z10 sub-forum I'm expecting to see quite a few ex Bold/Curve users so tell me your experience and hopefully you guys can help me ease into this and not experience anymore keyboard shock. Hopefully in a years time there will be a BlackBerry model I can get that feeds the need for a larger screen and a physical keyboard. I'll be able to upgrade by then.

If you made it this far thanks for reading. If you didn't well... TL;DR - I bought a Z10 for $60 and it works but I'm kind of missing my Q. Thoughts?
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-12-14 04:04 PM
    I was in a similar boat, coming from BB 8330, 9630, 9700, 9800 (never used touchscreen keyboard), and 9900.
    I was lucky in that I got to attend the BB10 Developers Jam in Vancouver on BB10 announcement day (Jan 31st, 2013) and try out the keyboard on some Dev Alphas, which are the same as a Z10. That and videos on CB convinced to make the switch and not look back.

The virtual kb does learn from you, so give it time. Try to correct incorrect autocorrects (tongue twister!) right away. You can reverse them with a swipe back across kb.
    I can't give up my swipe back to delete or swipe down for quick numeric keypad.

I use the flicks more now than in the beginning. You kind of need to get used to predicting what its predictions will be.

There are actually some, but I know I never use them. You can invoke the virtual keyboard by swiping up from bottom of screen with 2 fingers. Then try out some shortcuts in environments like Browser.

This was my least favourite "feature" of owning a Z10. I invested in a BB Premium In-Car Charger, plus I had 2 (and now 3) PlayBook Chargers (aka BB Premium Charger) at home too. At least if I'm recharging all the time, I'll do it fast!

Anyway, enjoy the new Z10. I loved mine, and love my Z30 now.
    Wow....I just learned about the swipe down for numeric and symbols from reading this...this is something I will absolutely utilize! Thanks! It's getting real hard to put away my z10 to fire up my z30 I just got....;-)

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 05:28 PM
    As far as your battery drain is concerned I do not know your usage habits so I can't really comment wisely on that. I typically have about 25%-35% battery life at the end of the day around 10:00pm after taking it off the charger around 7:00am.

Hang in there and give it some time!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Hehe. It is quite an experience. I feel like I'm making a big deal out of something so many of you just did. lol. I am liking the bigger screen. Truthfully I'm loving the bigger screen for a lot of things. For one there is slightly less eye strain.

My usage is about the same on both devices. The settings and apps are all identical. I did a straight device switch with Link. The only apps that are missing are a few Android apps I didn't care to load back on. With Battery Guru my Z10 is showing 0.4W Power consumption when it is at idle. I test this by letting it sit idle for 10 minutes and then checking Battery Guru. The Q10 with the same test only shows 0.08W consumption. That means the Z10 is using 4x the power on idle with a smaller battery. I hope it's just indexing still and it will get better. That's what I hear. Today was much better though as I mentioned earlier.

Day 2 consisted of learning the Keyboard. All my CB posts except this one were done from CB10. Also pitted my battery versus my mates iPhone 5 battery. Let's just say he won AND he got to play some games at lunch.
    02-12-14 05:43 PM
    Wow....I just learned about the swipe down for numeric and symbols from reading this...this is something I will absolutely utilize! Thanks! It's getting real hard to put away my z10 to fire up my z30 I just got....;-)

Posted via CB10
    Yeah that was a big help from elite1. Still getting used to these tricks but I hope I can master it quickly. They are super helpful for a first time Z10 owner. This keyboard has tricks that make the Z10 as fast or faster at certain things. And people use these tricks. I still don't know anybody who shakes their iPhone like an etch-a-sketch when they make a mistake.
    Last edited by eddy_berry; 02-12-14 at 06:06 PM.
    02-12-14 05:48 PM
    Yeah that was a big help from elite1. Still getting used to these tricks but I hope I can master it quickly. They are super helpful for a first time Z10 owner. This keyboard has tricks that make the Z10 as fast or faster at certain things. And people use these tricks. I still don't know anybody who shakes their iPhone like an etch-a-sketch when they make a mistake.
    I also found out that by swiping down to switch to #'s, symbols, ect., that it will automatically switch back to the letters. This just gets even better! I just got my z30, but I love my z10 too damn much after getting 10.2.1.....now I found out that I need to install the leaked 10.2.1 to my z30 in order to transfer all my contacts and settings, ect...maybe I should just stick with my z10 until the update gets to the z30....;-)

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 09:15 PM
    I also found out that by swiping down to switch to #'s, symbols, ect., that it will automatically switch back to the letters. This just gets even better! I just got my z30, but I love my z10 too damn much after getting 10.2.1.....now I found out that I need to install the leaked 10.2.1 to my z30 in order to transfer all my contacts and settings, ect...maybe I should just stick with my z10 until the update gets to the z30....;-)

Posted via CB10
    Just get the leak. It worked well enough for me through all of December. Then it was released as is in January. It is the same thing. If I lived in the US I would never wait for BS carrier testing. I'm not willing to wait for them to figure out if a phone OS will make their cell towers explode while everyone else enjoys the benefits. Well if you're not in a rush then by all means wait, but I wouldn't. Enjoy your Z30. I'm kinda jealous.

Posted via CB10
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    02-12-14 11:14 PM
    If you don't like the type flick feature, then you can turn that off. I never liked it myself. I prefer to type everything out. What I like about the virtual keyboard is that it's very responsive. I can type very fast without any lag when pressing the keys.
    02-13-14 03:15 AM
    Fwiw, finally needed charging at 2am when I went to bed, I'd spent another 2 hours or so in the phone too.

It takes a few days when the battery is new to get the best from it, and after an OS update it takes a few days to settle down, I assume there are background tasks happening like indexing messages etc.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 03:30 AM
    Just get the leak. It worked well enough for me through all of December. Then it was released as is in January. It is the same thing. If I lived in the US I would never wait for BS carrier testing. I'm not willing to wait for them to figure out if a phone OS will make their cell towers explode while everyone else enjoys the benefits. Well if you're not in a rush then by all means wait, but I wouldn't. Enjoy your Z30. I'm kinda jealous.

Posted via CB10
    Now that I've messed around with the z30 a little, I've discovered the keyboard tricks still apply even without the latest update. My contacts loaded up as soon as I set up my email accounts, and BB World loaded all my apps with proper versions. Switching device also makes me realize just how much the keyboard does learn your typing style. I really liked the z10. I think it's a great device. But the z30 seems to me to be everything great about the z10 with more battery and a bigger screen. And the sound is fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 08:34 AM
    Lol. That's a good idea.

My battery life has improved today. I'm glad it didn't take too long.
    It does definitely get better, though I wouldn't call it a star performer when it comes to battery life. LOL. Not the way my old 9700 was a force of nature at hoarding power. I can typically get through a work day without charging, but from the time I get up until the time I sleep is usually too much of a stretch.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-13-14 08:49 AM
    I just spent the last hour looking for a thread I accidently closed that fixed my battery drain. Brought it right in line with my Q10. It was a simple fix of finding apps taking up large amounts of memory and deleting them, adding them back and restarting the device. I cannot find the post anywhere. It had something to do with Z10 battery and lag being fixed. I didn't have any major lag but the battery was running down a little bit fast according to Battery Guru. I found two apps. CB10 and Reddit In Motion that were well over 100MB in size. I always noticed that after a while Reddit In Motion would lag and the cache clear option it had never helped. Deleting it did. CB10 was over 200MB in size. Deleted that and added it back. After restart the battery consumption has been on par with my Q10. I know it won't last as long as the Q but at least now it a fair comparison. There is a noticeable difference with the screen on. Got to love the AMOLED for battery life. I would like to thank this CB member but cannot find this post. Maybe one of you guys can help me find it. It did the trick for me and I didn't have to give up LTE or the sexy swipe up to unlock just to save more battery which I never had to do for the Q. Let's see what Day 4 brings now. Bring it on.
    Attachment 247639
    skynny70 likes this.
    02-13-14 09:13 PM
    I haven't come back to this thread in a while. I have been dealing with having to turn off Wi-Fi when not in use to keep my battery consumption down. I realized today that the difference in consumption with wi-fi on or off was massive. My battery would drain in about 8 hours or so with minimal usage. So I did something very few people would consider. I replaced the radio file to the latest 10.2.1.2142. What a difference this made. Now I can keep wi-fi on all I want and the system idles so low that it tells me at that rate the phone would not die for 60+ hours. That isn't bad for standby. Before it would give me 12 hours but only last 8 or so with minimal usage. I hope my battery woes are behind me now. If anybody is willing to give it a try, Lengend has the radio files posted separately in his leak thread. Tell me how it goes.
    02-19-14 07:38 PM
    Coming from 8320, 8900, 9700 and 9810, I don't think I want to go back to qwerty keyboard anymore! I have never used any full touch screen as my daily driver except playing with my wife iPhone from time to time.

To tell you the truth, I do miss the KB from time to time but the screen size wins it for me in the end. In addition, I find Z10 virtual KB to be more than acceptable for long message writing. Only when I have to write anything more than 200 words, that is when I wish there is a slider BB10!

Anyhow, the transition for me is fairly smooth and I have no regret picking it up over Q10. Last but not least, I wish the battery for Z10 is much better than it is. I am so used to more than a day of heavy usage without charging my phone.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-19-14 08:06 PM
    Thanks for the input. I have picked up typing on this Z10 quite well and found it easier to edit. It has also learned how I type quite fast making it an even smoother experience with suggestions. As for the battery, I think I've finally got a good handle on the draining. It was draining faster than it should on idle. Battery consumption has come down quite a lot since I installed the new radio file.
    02-19-14 11:32 PM
    I have been noticing lately a small trend of CrackBerry members dumping the Z10 for the Q10 and the Z30. Since I had started my BB10 experience on a Q10 and have used physical keyboards for about as long as I've owned a smartphone, I though it might be a good idea to try an all touch device. I can't really afford a Z30 and, to tell you the truth, I'm a cash-strapped student so I can't really afford a Z10 either. But I love my tech and I will always find a means to get my hands on the things I want. Legally of course.

My search began with ebay. The best price you can find is probably around $110USD (~$120CAD) and it goes quick. People are buying up these beat up old Z10s like hotcakes. Seriously. My best guess is for parts. My only hope of getting a decent working unit was to wait for the right ones and jump into fierce bidding wars. It would jump to $200CAD pretty quickly if it was a decent device. I then decided to check local ads and to my surprise the other day I found someone selling their Z10 for dirt cheap. It had some issues. Wouldn't boot and it sort of looks like it was thrown around daily. Luckily the screen was good still with a few minor scuffs. I picked it up for half of what it would go for on ebay and took it home. Let's just say I got it up and running in no time. That is totally thanks to CrackBerry forums and it's genius members (that includes the ones that aren't officially 'geniuses' yet). You guys rock. I also found out it was unlocked. Score another for this broke guy. The only thing is if it was blocked. That would suck. But nope. Not blocked either. I won the day. Fully functioning Z10 for dirt cheap.

So now I am a Z10 owner and my CrackBerry Q10 is delegated to storage. At least until I get nostalgic or maybe decide to throw this against the wall too. Who knows. Today was only day one of using a Z10 coming from a Q10 and before that a Bold 9900 and before that a Curve 9360 and before that some kind of crazy Samsung thing. Here are some observations:

Things I need to get used to:

Virtual keyboard. It feels super weird but it is only day one. I've used numerous iPhones and Androids but never as daily drivers. The flick to type is used less when I'm firing off a quick message though. I just give in to instinct. Made a ton of typos. Oh boy. I find I was editing my messages a lot. Lets hope I learn quickly. Oh no shortcuts either. Rats.

Charging my battery half way through the day. I find it funny that I had a spare battery, charging bundle, quick charger, and car charger for my Q10. All never used. And here I was complaining of having no money. Go figure. A spare battery is most needed with a Z10. No doubt about that. I have never had to charge my phone half way through a day. Never. Not the wacky Samsung, not the 9360, not the 9900 and not the Q10 either.

Things I like, nay, love about this phone:

The screen. It is very nice. It's not like I haven't seen one before but playing games or reading CB or anything like that is so much cleaner to me. Makes BB10 experience much more fluid. BB10 seems to make more sense on a touchscreen but it still worked well for the Q.

The weight and feel. It feels more natural in my hand than I expected. I like that.

The OS. I already mentioned it. I know that sounds weird since I'm not coming from a different OS. BB10 is very nicely done on a touchscreen device. It works well for a qwerty but considering it didn't feel natural to me until we started hitting 10.2, it needs some getting used to.

So begins my journey into a touchscreen world. I feel like I am missing a lot though. A physical keyboard has it's advantages. But, like I said, It's only day 1.

To turn this little story into a discussion, I would like to hear some of your stories about switching from QWERTY to Virtual and how long it took you to get used to it. In the Z10 sub-forum I'm expecting to see quite a few ex Bold/Curve users so tell me your experience and hopefully you guys can help me ease into this and not experience anymore keyboard shock. Hopefully in a years time there will be a BlackBerry model I can get that feeds the need for a larger screen and a physical keyboard. I'll be able to upgrade by then.

If you made it this far thanks for reading. If you didn't well... TL;DR - I bought a Z10 for $60 and it works but I'm kind of missing my Q. Thoughts?

My case was a little unique. I'm a tech reviewer so I get the chance to play around with multiple devices. After a while you tend to get used to most keyboards be it virtual or physical.

I went from my 9900 to a Z10. The Z10 was a great device. Honestly the only thing wrong with it for me was the battery life. I did get the LS-1 charging bundle but that was a bandaid solution.

After looking at the available BlackBerry 10 options, I decided maybe the BlackBerry Q10 will give me a better experience in terms of battery life. Boy it coloured me impressed. The battery life is excellent on the BlackBerry Q10 no need for charging in the middle of the day.

The other thing was for a person who's been lucky enough to have BlackBerry 10 dev units way ahead of launch, I should have seen it coming but I was still impressed that the BlackBerry Q10 and Z10 while running the same operating system, provide two distinct experiences. I do like the physical keyboard and it's very reminiscent of the greatest BlackBerry 7 device known to mankind, the BlackBerry bold 9900.

Adjusting for me didn't take too long, I'm used to changing devices on a fairly regular basis. Overall I've got no complaints, plus the keyboard shortcuts are rocking on the BlackBerry Q10. Although open up the browser on the z10, swipe up for the keyboard and surprise those Q10 shortcuts happen to work. Solid device, always gets me through the day and it's the device that's holstered to my belt as my daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-20-14 07:00 AM
    My case was a little unique. I'm a tech reviewer so I get the chance to play around with multiple devices. After a while you tend to get used to most keyboards be it virtual or physical.

I went from my 9900 to a Z10. The Z10 was a great device. Honestly the only thing wrong with it for me was the battery life. I did get the LS-1 charging bundle but that was a bandaid solution.

After looking at the available BlackBerry 10 options, I decided maybe the BlackBerry Q10 will give me a better experience in terms of battery life. Boy it coloured me impressed. The battery life is excellent on the BlackBerry Q10 no need for charging in the middle of the day.

The other thing was for a person who's been lucky enough to have BlackBerry 10 dev units way ahead of launch, I should have seen it coming but I was still impressed that the BlackBerry Q10 and Z10 while running the same operating system, provide two distinct experiences. I do like the physical keyboard and it's very reminiscent of the greatest BlackBerry 7 device known to mankind, the BlackBerry bold 9900.

Adjusting for me didn't take too long, I'm used to changing devices on a fairly regular basis. Overall I've got no complaints, plus the keyboard shortcuts are rocking on the BlackBerry Q10. Although open up the browser on the z10, swipe up for the keyboard and surprise those Q10 shortcuts happen to work. Solid device, always gets me through the day and it's the device that's holstered to my belt as my daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    Great insight. I still love the Q10. It is a fantastic device. The Z10 will be my daily driver for now. I loaded up the latest leak on the Q10. For fun.
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    02-20-14 01:55 PM
    That's more like it. I still needed to turn wifi off when I wasn't using it to get this result but it still blows away my previous results.
    So I've decided to try the Z10...-img_20140220_163753.png
    02-20-14 03:39 PM
    That's more like it. I still needed to turn wifi off when I wasn't using it to get this result but it still blows away my previous results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140220_163753.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	249695
    This more closely resembles my experience with my Z10 on Verizon. But the only time I ever needed to turn off wifi was when I was running low on battery and knew I would not be able to charge for awhile.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 07:14 PM
    This more closely resembles my experience with my Z10 on Verizon. But the only time I ever needed to turn off wifi was when I was running low on battery and knew I would not be able to charge for awhile.

Posted via CB10
    That's the way it was on my Q10. But this Z has a heavy drain when wi-fi is on and connected to a weak signal or not connected at all and searching. I noticed when it is connected to a strong signal such as in my home it is very stable and I leave it on when I am at home.

On a side note I'm currently quite happy since my phone has been on since 8am and it is almost 9:30 now and I have 17%. This is great. I even played some games today. I've made more calls today than I normally would have and I have been messaging with people a lot more too on the count of me being a new uncle as of this morning. Yeah, if you ask me, it's about time I became an uncle. Lol. And it's about time this Z10 got me through the day on one charge.

Attachment 249761
    02-20-14 08:29 PM
47 12