I have been noticing lately a small trend of CrackBerry members dumping the Z10 for the Q10 and the Z30. Since I had started my BB10 experience on a Q10 and have used physical keyboards for about as long as I've owned a smartphone, I though it might be a good idea to try an all touch device. I can't really afford a Z30 and, to tell you the truth, I'm a cash-strapped student so I can't really afford a Z10 either. But I love my tech and I will always find a means to get my hands on the things I want. Legally of course.

My search began with ebay. The best price you can find is probably around $110USD (~$120CAD) and it goes quick. People are buying up these beat up old Z10s like hotcakes. Seriously. My best guess is for parts. My only hope of getting a decent working unit was to wait for the right ones and jump into fierce bidding wars. It would jump to $200CAD pretty quickly if it was a decent device. I then decided to check local ads and to my surprise the other day I found someone selling their Z10 for dirt cheap. It had some issues. Wouldn't boot and it sort of looks like it was thrown around daily. Luckily the screen was good still with a few minor scuffs. I picked it up for half of what it would go for on ebay and took it home. Let's just say I got it up and running in no time. That is totally thanks to CrackBerry forums and it's genius members (that includes the ones that aren't officially 'geniuses' yet). You guys rock. I also found out it was unlocked. Score another for this broke guy. The only thing is if it was blocked. That would suck. But nope. Not blocked either. I won the day. Fully functioning Z10 for dirt cheap.

So now I am a Z10 owner and my CrackBerry Q10 is delegated to storage. At least until I get nostalgic or maybe decide to throw this against the wall too. Who knows. Today was only day one of using a Z10 coming from a Q10 and before that a Bold 9900 and before that a Curve 9360 and before that some kind of crazy Samsung thing. Here are some observations:

Things I need to get used to:

Virtual keyboard. It feels super weird but it is only day one. I've used numerous iPhones and Androids but never as daily drivers. The flick to type is used less when I'm firing off a quick message though. I just give in to instinct. Made a ton of typos. Oh boy. I find I was editing my messages a lot. Lets hope I learn quickly. Oh no shortcuts either. Rats.

Charging my battery half way through the day. I find it funny that I had a spare battery, charging bundle, quick charger, and car charger for my Q10. All never used. And here I was complaining of having no money. Go figure. A spare battery is most needed with a Z10. No doubt about that. I have never had to charge my phone half way through a day. Never. Not the wacky Samsung, not the 9360, not the 9900 and not the Q10 either.

Things I like, nay, love about this phone:

The screen. It is very nice. It's not like I haven't seen one before but playing games or reading CB or anything like that is so much cleaner to me. Makes BB10 experience much more fluid. BB10 seems to make more sense on a touchscreen but it still worked well for the Q.

The weight and feel. It feels more natural in my hand than I expected. I like that.

The OS. I already mentioned it. I know that sounds weird since I'm not coming from a different OS. BB10 is very nicely done on a touchscreen device. It works well for a qwerty but considering it didn't feel natural to me until we started hitting 10.2, it needs some getting used to.

So begins my journey into a touchscreen world. I feel like I am missing a lot though. A physical keyboard has it's advantages. But, like I said, It's only day 1.

To turn this little story into a discussion, I would like to hear some of your stories about switching from QWERTY to Virtual and how long it took you to get used to it. In the Z10 sub-forum I'm expecting to see quite a few ex Bold/Curve users so tell me your experience and hopefully you guys can help me ease into this and not experience anymore keyboard shock. Hopefully in a years time there will be a BlackBerry model I can get that feeds the need for a larger screen and a physical keyboard. I'll be able to upgrade by then.

If you made it this far thanks for reading. If you didn't well... TL;DR - I bought a Z10 for $60 and it works but I'm kind of missing my Q. Thoughts?
    02-11-14 04:52 PM
    I first made the switch from a 9900 to a Samsung GS3. It was more than a little annoying, but after mucking around with after market vks (Swype/SKey, etc..) It got easier (or I got better), so maybe for a month or so I was constantly making mistakes, but I was still getting used to typing on a vk. My problem was only made worse because my work issued device was a a BlackBerry as well, and it was weird going back and forth.

When I bought the Z there wasn't any need of another transition since it seemed like the Z's keyboard was pretty slick. Once it began to learn my style and typing I flew and about a month later I wasn't even looking at the screen anymore (except just before sending - Just in case I really screwed up). It really depends on how much typing you actually do. If it's an everyday thing, and you do type a fair amount (10-15 emails + constant messaging) you really wont notice the curve until you are already past it.

I was going to buy a Q, but after my G3 and now my Z, I can't sacrifice the amount of screen space, and I really don't see myself going back to a qwerty anytime soon.

TL;DR - You'll get used to it.
    Elite1 and eddy_berry like this.
    02-11-14 05:18 PM
    ... Virtual keyboard. It feels super weird but it is only day one. I've used numerous iPhones and Androids but never as daily drivers. The flick to type is used less when I'm firing off a quick message though. I just give in to instinct. Made a ton of typos. Oh boy. I find I was editing my messages a lot. Lets hope I learn quickly...
    I was in a similar boat, coming from BB 8330, 9630, 9700, 9800 (never used touchscreen keyboard), and 9900.
    I was lucky in that I got to attend the BB10 Developers Jam in Vancouver on BB10 announcement day (Jan 31st, 2013) and try out the keyboard on some Dev Alphas, which are the same as a Z10. That and videos on CB convinced to make the switch and not look back.

The virtual kb does learn from you, so give it time. Try to correct incorrect autocorrects (tongue twister!) right away. You can reverse them with a swipe back across kb.
    I can't give up my swipe back to delete or swipe down for quick numeric keypad.

I use the flicks more now than in the beginning. You kind of need to get used to predicting what its predictions will be.

... Oh no shortcuts either...
    There are actually some, but I know I never use them. You can invoke the virtual keyboard by swiping up from bottom of screen with 2 fingers. Then try out some shortcuts in environments like Browser.

... Charging my battery half way through the day. I find it funny that I had a spare battery, charging bundle, quick charger, and car charger for my Q10. All never used. And here I was complaining of having no money. Go figure. A spare battery is most needed with a Z10. No doubt about that. I have never had to charge my phone half way through a day...
    This was my least favourite "feature" of owning a Z10. I invested in a BB Premium In-Car Charger, plus I had 2 (and now 3) PlayBook Chargers (aka BB Premium Charger) at home too. At least if I'm recharging all the time, I'll do it fast!

Anyway, enjoy the new Z10. I loved mine, and love my Z30 now.
    02-11-14 05:24 PM
    Coming from a BlackBerry physical keyboard and never looked back since fulltouch display The Z10 is the perfect size for me, so the Z30 is not an option. Would like wifi-direct/miracast though, my Dell Venue 8 pro tablet has it and I love it. But it's not a big Problem, I got a multimedia- docking station for my Z10. Using it for charging mostly (looking awesome with the clock.from multi alarms pro - nice clockfonts and colors.dimmable , but can connect via HDMI cable to my TV.

Ericsson GF198(GSM900) im D2 Privat Netz
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-11-14 06:23 PM
    TL;DR - You'll get used to it.
    I figured as much. Thanks for the words of advice.

Posted via CB10
    OniBerry likes this.
    02-11-14 07:13 PM
    I switched from Bold 9700 to Z10, it was an amazing experience. After all that time tinkering with hybrids and enduring THE clock, seeing a modern BlackBerry was incredible.

And I got used to the virtual keyboard immediately. It's fantastic. Bold keyboard was nice and precise, but it hurts my thumbs for long posts, virtual keyboard gets rid of it. Q10 keyboard is nice too, but I only have Z10 :P

Finally, I get to play ridiculously awesome games like Asphalt and NOVA, it's great. The games aspect is not new in iPhone/Android world, but it's new for me and it's amazing

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-11-14 07:59 PM
    Coming off an 9700, too. I ordered a used (think it was 9650 or 9630...something like that for 40euros) It came but it was locked with device ode. Seller said he is moving to switzerland and forgot the code in Germany. He said no problem I send you brand new 9700 instead. I thought he was joking, but he wasn't

Ericsson GF198(GSM900) im D2 Privat Netz
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-11-14 08:17 PM
    This was my least favourite "feature" of owning a Z10. I invested in a BB Premium In-Car Charger, plus I had 2 (and now 3) PlayBook Chargers (aka BB Premium Charger) at home too. At least if I'm recharging all the time, I'll do it fast!

Anyway, enjoy the new Z10. I loved mine, and love my Z30 now.
    Well, I'm thinking it's just the first run indexing that's dragging my battery down. My usage was low on day one. We'll see. I'm still enjoying the phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 08:28 PM
    have used both coming from Torch 9800-Bold 9900-Z10 and the virtual keyboard is scarily intuitive.

I can't tell you how many times I have typed a load of garbage looked at the text and the Z10 has pwefexyky (by the way this typo was deliberate it illuminated "perfectly ") corrected everything!!!

Digicel Jamaica Official10.2.1.1925 release
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-11-14 08:34 PM
    Yep I'm another none touch screen user from the past was a bold fan have had curves too. But switching to the Z10 was a breeze I always told friends I would never go to a full touch screen but now I'm eating those words lol! I have to admit I have tried to go back to the 9900 but just couldn't stick with it!! today that device is sitting in its original box collecting dust and if you saw what shape its in, it looks brand spanking new ,what a shame ! anyway I hope you enjoy this Z10 ride for a while I've been riding this device for almost a year this coming march although I do have a Z30 as well I for some reason still grab for my Z10 and use it as my daily driver.

Posted from my Dell Venue 8 16g tab
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-11-14 08:49 PM
    I switched from Bold 9700 to Z10, it was an amazing experience. After all that time tinkering with hybrids and enduring THE clock, seeing a modern BlackBerry was incredible.

And I got used to the virtual keyboard immediately. It's fantastic. Bold keyboard was nice and precise, but it hurts my thumbs for long posts, virtual keyboard gets rid of it. Q10 keyboard is nice too, but I only have Z10 :P

Finally, I get to play ridiculously awesome games like Asphalt and NOVA, it's great. The games aspect is not new in iPhone/Android world, but it's new for me and it's amazing

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    Totally understand the eye opener going from a 9900 to a Q10. I always thought that the Q10 was almost what the 9900 should have been. I hope that there will always be BlackBerry QWERTYs to choose. Wish I could get used to this faster. I do like both keyboards, but it will take some time for me to get used to the things that make the BB10 virtual keyboard easier to use.

Games! One of the reasons I wanted to try the Z10 was the Keyboard. The other was Games and Media. I really shouldn't be playing games but it passes the time when I feel up for it and a bigger display is better.
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-11-14 10:09 PM
    Give it a couple weeks with respect to the typing. It takes a couple weeks for the device to learn the way you type.

I switched from. Bold 9000 a year ago and there is no looking back now. I love BlackBerry virtual keyboards. Nevertheless, I agree the battery on the Z10 leave a lot to be desired. I do like the size of the z10 over the z30...but I'm loving the screen real estate in the Z30 now.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-11-14 10:20 PM
    Yep I'm another none touch screen user from the past was a bold fan have had curves too. But switching to the Z10 was a breeze I always told friends I would never go to a full touch screen but now I'm eating those words lol! I have to admit I have tried to go back to the 9900 but just couldn't stick with it!! today that device is sitting in its original box collecting dust and if you saw what shape its in, it looks brand spanking new ,what a shame ! anyway I hope you enjoy this Z10 ride for a while I've been riding this device for almost a year this coming march although I do have a Z30 as well I for some reason still grab for my Z10 and use it as my daily driver.

Posted from my Dell Venue 8 16g tab
    I couldn't go back to the 9900 even with the Q10. Although if I had I'm sure productivity would have been higher for the sole reason that I play a lot more on BB10. I found them both to be great communication devices, but the Q10 to be better at certain things and so much faster in the end. Oh and lucky you with the Z30. When I'm due for upgrade in a year I hope BlackBerry can make it tough for me with a new Z and Q, rather than just a Q. That's what this whole experiment is all about really. I want to have a more informed opinion of the two styles.
    02-11-14 10:27 PM
    Give it a couple weeks with respect to the typing. It takes a couple weeks for the device to learn the way you type.

I switched from. Bold 9000 a year ago and there is no looking back now. I love BlackBerry virtual keyboards. Nevertheless, I agree the battery on the Z10 leave a lot to be desired. I do like the size of the z10 over the z30...but I'm loving the screen real estate in the Z30 now.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    You people and your Z30s. I'm a little jealous. Know anyone willing to trade for a slightly abused Z10? Haha. I think the Z30 would have been a good size for me to get accustomed to the virtual keyboard. I find myself looking at the screen more than ever to type so having that extra space and bigger keys would have been good.
    02-11-14 10:33 PM
    Thanks for sharing! Great value shopping, and I salute your adventurousness to get a different experience! I think the Z will grow on you as the keyboard learns where you hit the virtual keys, and as it learns your vocabulary and you can flick a lot. The Z10 is my first personal full-touch after a 9810, 9780, 9700, Pearl Flip, and Nokia E61i (also a physical kbd). I really love the Z10 and am much faster than on any previous BB (though I have never had a full-sized Bold or Q-size kbd). After some "training" of the Z10's keyboard, I would not go back to a physical keyboard! I've done a lot of testing for work on the most popular of the last 3 years of iPhones and Androids and a Lumia 900, and except for Swiftkey on a 4.7-5" Android which is tolerable, I've disliked the typing experience on all of them and am slow and tentative. The Z just kills them. So you may be pleasantly surprised over time. Anyway I hope you have a lot of fun with your new device!
    eddy_berry and Elite1 like this.
    02-11-14 10:49 PM
    Thanks OceanBerry, I'm sure I will enjoy it more. The predictive keyboard is nice. I'm just slow with it.

BTW, it is really late and I should have been in bed hours ago, but I felt it noteworthy to mention that I am up killing the Z10 battery. It has showed 0% for the past 20 minutes and has been flashing due to being below 10% for at least an hour now. I'm typing this on my Z10 right now at 0%. Crazy.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 12:45 AM
    I was a long time hardware keyboard user, both SureType and QWERTY, one of those guys who swore they would never use a virtual keyboard. I've always had an iPod touch alongside my BlackBerries and while I didn't mind the keyboard on it since it was a secondary device, I was never completely comfortable with it - thus reinforcing my preference at the time. But by the time Z10 was available, I jumped on it since we had been waiting so long for new devices, figuring I could swap it for a Q10 in a few months when that became available.

After a few days, I had gotten use to the virtual keyboard, and found that it wasn't as bad as I thought. It's very easy in the first day or two to throw your hands (or thumbs in this case) up frustration because you're not as accurate or quick as before, and having to spend extra time fixing typos (if you're anal about spelling). The trick for me was to stop fighting the keyboard and just type away. Let the word prediction and auto correct do its thing. Give it a little time to learn your typing, and also teach it some of your words that may not be in it's database. After about a week, you'll love all the extra screen space and the flexibility a virtual keyboard allows. I found that I only use the word flicking when I'm one handed. When holding the phone with both hands, I'm a 2 thumb typer.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-12-14 12:53 AM
    The nice thing about you English speaking guys is that English is more or less standardized based on your region (US/GB). For me Indonesian, text prediction doesn't work that well, since local language is nowhere near the official Indonesian language.

But the text prediction is awesome when typing in English, like for this forum. It's amazing what the keyboard can predict. This one time, I was posting a reply in a forum and the keyboard predicts the username of the guy I'm replying to! Holy $*;-!);

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-12-14 01:47 AM
    Nice story I love my Z10, it's perfect. The Z30 is too big and the Q10 too small. Pros and cons though

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-12-14 01:54 AM
    I switched from a 9810 to my Z10 in February last year, and it took me about a week to get used to typing on the glass. Didn't really notice though, given how quick and smooth the rest of the OS was, compared to BB7.1.
    I'm a beast with this thing now, so much so that I finally got rid of my 9810 safety net a few months ago (took me awhile, but I'm nostalgic).
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-12-14 09:47 AM
    I switched from a 9810 to my Z10 in February last year, and it took me about a week to get used to typing on the glass. Didn't really notice though, given how quick and smooth the rest of the OS was, compared to BB7.1.
    I'm a beast with this thing now, so much so that I finally got rid of my 9810 safety net a few months ago (took me awhile, but I'm nostalgic).
    I don't get rid of my old devices. I still have my 9900. Always charged too. I still have my curve. It is now my dear mom's curve. She loves it. The old sumsung thing I had before ended up in a vice. I hated that pos. I tightened that vice a little more every day for a month. It gave me joy.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and gcopter like this.
    02-12-14 10:35 AM
    I don't get rid of my old devices. I still have my 9900. Always charged too. I still have my curve. It is now my dear mom's curve. She loves it. The old sumsung thing I had before ended up in a vice. I hated that pos. I tightened that vice a little more every day for a month. It gave me joy.

Posted via CB10
    Remind me not to cross you!
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-12-14 11:04 AM
    Remind me not to cross you!
    Lol. That's a good idea.

My battery life has improved today. I'm glad it didn't take too long. Interesting thing was last night killing the battery. Screen shot from yesterday before it died after running at 0% for 20 minutes.
    So I've decided to try the Z10...-img_20140212_014607.png

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 11:33 AM
    In very simple terms, I love my z10, I wouldn't want a z30, a colleague has one and I don't see any advantage having tried it.

Battery life is totally fine, I've been using mine since 8am this morning, it's now almost 6pm and I'm on 52% - I've made several reasonably long calls, done my usual texting and emails.

My usage even includes using 4G for some time and having poor signal at others.

I really do use my phone heavily and I don't suffer poor battery life - I did initially but it was an app issue and poor battery.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-12-14 11:48 AM
    have used both coming from Torch 9800-Bold 9900-Z10 and the virtual keyboard is scarily intuitive.

I can't tell you how many times I have typed a load of garbage looked at the text and the Z10 has pwefexyky (by the way this typo was deliberate it illuminated "perfectly ") corrected everything!!!

Digicel Jamaica Official10.2.1.1925 release
    I agree with this. It is amazing. I turned my text predictions off and just have auto correct on. This keyboard is wonderful. I love the size and screen on the Z10 too. Have the battery bundle, so I don't stress over the battery life

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    02-12-14 11:55 AM
47 12