I'm worried since I just swapped my android phone (finally did it. Yay!) to an stl 100 2 z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 07:57 PM
    I think it's people using unapproved chargers that fry the battery and the internal circuits.

So have we found out what causes Z10's sudden death?-img_20150112_031518.png

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 08:05 PM
    That and I have seen phones die on all platforms, its just that BB user are so passionate we come on here and B1tch about it.
    02-17-15 08:07 PM
    Still rocking my BlackBerry Z10 from February 5th 2013 release day. This phone is also on 24/7. No problems.

My daughter's Z10 from May 2013 is also running strong.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    02-17-15 08:10 PM
    now that's scaring me since mine didn't come with the official charger (since i swapped the z10 with someone). And yes, I'm very much aware about the importance of charging using the official one. So, uh, this is what i've been doing since i got it, i've been charging it using my PC instead. would that be safer than using unofficial chargers? I do have a charger that came from my curve 9320, but it still says that i should use the official one, so i guess that's a no-go.
    02-17-15 08:20 PM
    No need to worry. I used my Z10 for over a year with the BlackBerry PlayBook premium charger with no issues . Some people don't take care of their device. As long as you don't drop it or play games for 10 hours the chances are low of a device malfunctioning.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Gus; 02-17-15 at 08:42 PM.
    der_mit and tjseaman like this.
    02-17-15 08:22 PM
    now that's scaring me since mine didn't come with the official charger (since i swapped the z10 with someone). And yes, I'm very much aware about the importance of charging using the official one. So, uh, this is what i've been doing since i got it, i've been charging it using my PC instead. would that be safer than using unofficial chargers? I do have a charger that came from my curve 9320, but it still says that i should use the official one, so i guess that's a no-go.
    Charging by PC does not give you a true really good charge like the wall charger, you should get one and charge with it you will notice a big diff in battery life.
    02-17-15 08:23 PM
    Yeah, all the BlackBerry chargers with the micro usb connection should be ok, I meant the cheap "no name" chargers and car chargers that you see in markets etc, steer away from them.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9208252) and Carl Estes like this.
    02-17-15 08:28 PM
    No need to worry. I used my Z10 for over a year and used the BlackBerry PlayBook rapid charger with no issues . Some people don't take care of their device. As long as you don't drop it or play games for 10 hours the chances are low of a device malfunctioning.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I still only use my PlayBook charger. Daughter use's the charger that came with phone and neither of us has had any issues.

anon(9208252) likes this.
    02-17-15 08:32 PM
    Same here. I still only use my PlayBook charger. Daughter use's the charger that came with phone and neither of us has had any issues.

I've used the PlayBook charger on my Z10,Z30,Q10 and Nokia lumia 920. I don't think I can go back to the stock charger, it's too slow. I live on the edge, my PlayBook charger is the yellow tip model, it has 200 more MA than the north American charger. Lol

Posted via CB10
    tjseaman likes this.
    02-17-15 08:37 PM
    I'm prepared to be shot down on this but I think that with the charge control circuitry being in the phone a charger from any big name phone maker should be OK. As far as I'm aware they all output 5 volts

Passport or Z10, whichever is nearest
    vbdwork and TheScionicMan like this.
    02-17-15 08:46 PM
    I don't get it. I used a z10 from launch day in 2013 until January of 14. When I went to bed I charged the device, when I was in the car it was on my charger. When I was at worked I used it. When I left for home it was being charged in my car. When I got home I used my phone. Never really noticed an issue with the battery. If I didnt charge it...I would get a solid 6 hours out it from full until done. 6 hours of extremely heavy use. Where is the problem? Now I certainly don't expect 6 hours from my passport but I always felt that 6 hours on my Z10 was pretty damn good.

Executive Producer of a Bunch of Losers for a BBM Group that doesn't Exist via My Passport
    anon(9208252) likes this.
    02-17-15 09:00 PM
    I don't get it. I used a z10 from launch day in 2013 until January of 14. When I went to bed I charged the device, when I was in the car it was on my charger. When I was at worked I used it. When I left for home it was being charged in my car. When I got home I used my phone. Never really noticed an issue with the battery. If I didnt charge it...I would get a solid 6 hours out it from full until done. 6 hours of extremely heavy use. Where is the problem? Now I certainly don't expect 6 hours from my passport but I always felt that 6 hours on my Z10 was pretty damn good.

Executive Producer of a Bunch of Losers for a BBM Group that doesn't Exist via My Passport

So what your really saying is that you spend most of your day charging your phone, get a life, lol
    02-17-15 09:08 PM
    In my family, 3 Z10's, and 1 at work, all 2 years going strong, no sudden deaths. 1 on official charger all the time the other three on a variety of chargers, Playbook, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab, Nexus 7 and my car charger. Batteries and phones all okay. Admittedly no power cords from the dollar store in this house, only cords from good brands.

I kind of wish mine would die so I could justify buying a passport. But then my RBC Wallet wouldn't work and I'd have to put my comic con hotel on my credit card.

Decisions decisions.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 09:15 PM
    I'm worried since I just swapped my android phone (finally did it. Yay!) to an stl 100 2 z10.

Posted via CB10
    Any electronic device can malfunction at anytime.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 09:22 PM
    I charge mine every night with the USB port in my alarm clock. It's an LE that I've had since March 2013. I've also used a Hip Street car charger, my iPad charger, and a battery pack along with all the various BlackBerry chargers. As long as it puts out decently regulated voltage at 750mA or higher it won't be the charger at fault. Simple electronics.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    02-17-15 09:22 PM
    I think it's people using unapproved chargers that fry the battery and the internal circuits.
    You think wrong. USB is a standard 5V �10%. Any good quality charger with 700mA output or more is OK.

I'm prepared to be shot down on this but I think that with the charge control circuitry being in the phone a charger from any big name phone maker should be OK. As far as I'm aware they all output 5 volts
    Exactly.
    Grabber5.0 and Carl Estes like this.
    02-17-15 09:45 PM
    If it's not software related, then it's hardware obviously - right? Duh! Anyhow, in most cases (at least on laptops and desktops) overheating of the CPU leads to sudden death. RAM will cause random reboots and crashes. GPU's will distort the display in someway. But CPU death is catastrophic and instant. The other issues generally give signs of impeding doom. Power supply issues usually result in instant death too...but ya, it seems in these cases, changing out the batteries isn't helping...

In post #15 on this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-night-997635/ I have a picture of the innards of the Z10 and the picture shows the thermal paste from the CPU barely contacting anything. It looks dry and crusty and has very poor coverage. Though this picture is not anyone's phone here, it does show me a potentially typical scenario. It wouldn't surprise me if this issue was indeed a heat issue. It's been 2 years since the phone has been out (manufacturing runs might vary a bit so some phones might be made later than the earliest ones) and thermal paste does indeed dry out over time. It's happening on a friend's laptop that I'm trying to fix (so far without luck even after complete factory restoration, cleaning the fan and reapplying paste to the CPU and GPU)...

Anyhow, if any of your phones have indeed died, it's not hard (or dangerous) to open up the case and see what you see (if you follow some YouTube vids and have the proper tools). If indeed the thermal paste is dry, chunky and useless, then there is indeed not good contact on the CPU and the metal heat transfer plate it contacts. I'd seriously check this out and see what you see. If we can build a case here for or against this, it would help the community prevent future sudden Z10 deaths. Re-applying some good computer quality thermal paste may (or may not) help bring the thing back to life if it has simply been shut down to prevent damage from over heating. Then again, it could be completely fried...

Could all be wild speculation on my part...or it could be a clue...who wants to try it out and report back?
    02-17-15 10:21 PM
    As long as you don't own the dreaded STL100-1 you good to go with any charger. They are all more or less standardized now.
    02-18-15 01:28 AM
    I take care of my device and I've always charged my Z10s devices using the original charger and 3 of them died suddenly within a period of 1 year and a half. I'm using the fourth and at the moment is Ok but I know someday it will happen again, it's only a matter of time...thank God my device were still on its warranty period.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 01:52 AM
  21. i_love_sachintendulkar_my_z10's Avatar
    The stock charger gave me a very slow charge which was annoying.... also had to change the battery when I used stock charger.
    I've been using a super old HTC USB charger for 6 months and it works super fine.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3442

Z10 "rise n shine"
    02-18-15 02:29 AM
    That sudden death is a hardware problem specific for Z10 STL100-1s
    02-18-15 07:22 AM
    Yes, that's right all my Z10s devices were stl001 and also the current one so I'm waiting my device to die anytime sooner than late!

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 08:48 AM
    That sudden death is a hardware problem specific for Z10 STL100-1s
    Not exactly
    I've had 3 stl100-3's die on me

1 on the official charger, one on playbook charger and one at rest.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-18-15 08:54 AM
    You think wrong. USB is a standard 5V �10%. Any good quality charger with 700mA output or more is OK.

Exactly.
    WHAT, where as you may not be wrong, Neither am I.

I work in the industry and have seen the damage that some chargers have done to phone and battery, also a quick Google search can show you some very serious examples of the damage.

Not ALL usb chargers are the same.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 11:54 AM
54 123