I've been having a problem recently with my battery being drained by "Text Messaging ". I'll notice on device monitor that the CPU shows it running at percentages anywhere from 25% to around 35 % or so when I'm not even texting anyone. The only two apps I have that could have text message permissions are Power tools and NFL Mobile. Anybody know what the cause could be?

Edit: I also deleted the android app "Glide "

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by iz_26; 03-17-14 at 01:29 PM.
    03-17-14 10:10 AM
    Have you tried performing a hard reset on the device and then checking if the increased usage persists?
    03-17-14 02:07 PM
    just_luc Yea I did try that a couple of times as well. Sometimes it will still be using a lot of the CPU right after it comes up and then will settle down after a while. It really just seems to do it randomly. I mostly see it occur when the battery percentage gets around the 50% mark. But yesterday it seemed to do it all day.
    03-17-14 03:51 PM
    What version of BB10 are you on?
    03-17-14 04:53 PM
    03-17-14 05:01 PM
    My wife's Q5 is doing this as well, it's from Koodo in Canada, and she is using 2.1.0.567 (no direct update available yet). Anyone with any ideas?

She was complaining of her battery draining really fast, and I confirmed it through device manager. Text messaging service was at 57% of her battery consumption in her case, a reboot temporarily fixes it, but it comes back sporadically.

I've never seen this on my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 04:00 PM
    If you already tried doing resets, try to let it up for hours. Observe. Sometimes resets will really consume more battery in the beginning.

Try restarting the hub by swiping from the top right corner.

Try changing theme of text messages in the hub.

Do everything that may have something to do with text messaging. Until enough trouble shooting is done, then we can say what the real problem is.

Take care of your devices. Love them like you love your children.

My 1st choice of smartphone (not smartTOY), BlackBerry.
    03-22-14 05:00 PM
    Any new app installed, especially an Android app? After the carrier pushed update with the latest Android runtime, I used all the common Android app stores available and downloaded a bunch of android app. After this is when I noticed battery life suffering and reported high "system" use on the battery monitor. I dumped most of the recent android downloads whith the exception of "Taskmanager" and deleted the android app stores/downloaders as well. Still no joy in Mudville even after numerous resets and a couple weeks worth of settle time. This is what prompted me to upgrade to the latest T-Mob update as soon as it became available, via Sachesi. At present, "system" battery / cpu usage has gone down quite a bit, to what I would expect to normal levels, or at least the Device Manager has been recalibrated. Anecdotally, I see a slight gain in battery performance.
    The point is, and I repeat this as often as I can, is that downloading ANY third party app is a crap shoot for the OS integration and all bets are off concerning functionality and performance. The only Android Store sourced app I have on my (STL100-3) Z10 is the aforementioned Taskmanager and I will no longer download Android app store loaders nor their apps.
    The Sachesi program/method to upgrade the OS is incredibly easy and the 2/2 times I have used it were flawless. I highly recommend it for the OP's issue. Just follow the instructions, http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...achesi-904841/ ,and note that it can take a long time for the Sachesi app to download the files before transfer. I used USA country code 310 and Carrier code T-Mobile 260 for file search for my STL100-3 Z10.

PS: Misstatement: The Taskmanager app IS avilable through BlackBerry World which is why it is still on my phone and how I installed it. Otherwise everything from an outside source was purged.
    Last edited by Beakman; 03-23-14 at 08:42 AM.
    03-23-14 07:59 AM
    ck23.bb - I've tried all of that except for changing the text messaging theme. I've been using the dark theme but I'll try the standard theme for a while

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:46 AM
    One other thing I may try is a security wipe. I've never actually did one since I've had the Z10 and I've loaded 2 or 3 leaks on this phone during the time I've had it. I've noticed that when I use the "Search" native app, and I search for text messages from a specific person it still shows messages that were deleted months ago, although it won't let me open and view them. So that may be playing a factor

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:59 AM
    Yeah. Mine uses a lot on text messaging when it indexes. But I have like 30k text messages. But it is usually like only 5% of battery.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 11:42 AM
    I'm not sure why mine keeps doing it. I know it's not indexing so I'll have to figure out the cause

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 04:34 PM
    ck23.bb - I've tried all of that except for changing the text messaging theme. I've been using the dark theme but I'll try the standard theme for a while

Posted via CB10
    Whenever SMS lags for me, that's what I do.

03-26-14 06:10 AM
    Whenever SMS lags for me, that's what I do.

Surprisingly, this seems to have been helping so far. I was thinking it would be something a bit more complex, but I'll watch it today and see if the sms dark theme was the culprit. Thanks
    03-26-14 08:26 AM
    Surprisingly, this seems to have been helping so far. I was thinking it would be something a bit more complex, but I'll watch it today and see if the sms dark theme was the culprit. Thanks
    Well that didn't work either. It's doing it again. So my next step will be to remove all Android apps and the 1 Mobile Market App.
    03-26-14 10:21 AM
    Well it doesn't look like Android apps were the problem either. So I'm going to do a backup and then a security wipe and then restore backup. If that doesn't work I'll repeat without restoring the backup and see how that goes. And as the last resort, I'll repeat those steps and then also reload the os followed by another security wipe and restore of backup.
    03-26-14 11:49 AM
    Even if it isn't yet Ok, at least you're on track. Good luck

03-26-14 01:14 PM
    Hey OP, any update on the success of the wipe and reload?
    Thinking about doing this to my wife's Q5. Having the same symptoms you are, but now on the latest stock software rev. 10.2.1.2102.
    I have same revision on my Z30 but have never seen this issue.
    Thanks!
    04-03-14 12:52 PM
    Hey OP, any update on the success of the wipe and reload?
    Thinking about doing this to my wife's Q5. Having the same symptoms you are, but now on the latest stock software rev. 10.2.1.2102.
    I have same revision on my Z30 but have never seen this issue.
    Thanks!
    Not yet.. it had stopped doing it for a couple days so I let it be, but it just started back yesterday. So I'm going to go ahead and go through with the steps I mentioned above today when I get home. I'll let you know how it goes!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 02:47 PM
    I also am having the same problem on my z30. In fact I started a thread which I will ask the mods to amalgamate into this one to others with the issue. I've pinned it down to unread text messages. Easy to try out, ask someone to send you a text and leave it for the day. I did this and my battery dived over 4 hours.

I'd be interested to hear if the security wipe cured the problem.
    04-06-14 04:46 AM
    I also am having the same problem on my z30. In fact I started a thread which I will ask the mods to amalgamate into this one to others with the issue. I've pinned it down to unread text messages. Easy to try out, ask someone to send you a text and leave it for the day. I did this and my battery dived over 4 hours.

I'd be interested to hear if the security wipe cured the problem.
    I thought about that being a possibility.. I was a little busy this weekend so I haven't did the security wipe yet but I should have time to do it tonight while I'm watching the game (NCAA Basketball Championship). I'll let you all know the results asap. And thanks for the input!

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 11:05 AM
    I did a new os install via Sachesi (10.2.1.2228), and afterwards I did the security wipe and then restored from the back up I did prior to the install. It seems to have still been using a lot of cpu, but that could be due to the fact that it was just installed. But really I'm thinking the problem is with old text messages that have been deleted months ago still existing somewhere on the device. For instance, as I mentioned above, when I do a searh for a contact name or even an area code (ex 205), it showed pretty much all of my texts dating back to November. It wouldn't let me open any of them, but the fact that they are still showing may be an issue. So this time, I will find a way to back up just my contacts to another source that I could restore from later, and just do a security wipe without restoring. The only thing I will restore will be the contacts if I can find a way to back them up somewhere else besides link. I'm sure there's an app. I believe when I backup, the old text messages are being backed up to. So I'll see how it goes..
    04-08-14 02:49 PM
    Thanks for the update.
    04-08-14 03:23 PM
    Update: I did a security wipe yesterday (04/09/2014) and I didn't restore from a backup. Just started from scratch. I used Intouch App Contacts to back up contacts prior and to restore after. I think this did the trick. I no longer see text messages running up the cpu and I no longer see old text messages when I search. So I've come to the conclusion that previous OS versions (most likely a 10.0 or 10.1 version) weren't deleting text messages completely. Therefore, when I did a backup those "deleted" text messages were being backed up as well and were restored each time I was restoring from a backup. Apparently the phone would try to retrieve or index these "deleted" messages at random times, causing text messaging to run up the cpu. I've been sending texts and deleting them and searching to make sure they're being deleted for good; and they are. So I think the case is wrapped up at last.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    04-10-14 05:56 PM
    I'll do another update on this after a week or so just to make sure it's resolved for good

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and uktivo like this.
    04-10-14 05:58 PM
41 12