Okay, I'm toying with "upgrading" my TV to a "SMART" TV so that I can watch videos that are stored on my SMART Z10.

Is that DLNA or is the "connection/interface" yet something else? Is the PlayOn function I see in some of the Z10's menus something that just works if the phone and TV are connected to the same wifi network? Or something else entirely?

I have looked at, for example, a Vizio manual and they mention some, of course, Android or iphone app? But are apps necessary or do they just provide maybe enhanced control and the PlayOn is sufficient? In other words, with some TV setup and some Z10 setup, would I have a functioning connection or is some 3rd app NECESSARY?

As you may be able to detect, I'm pretty new to this area and don't want to screw up too much if I did decide to jump in.
    08-11-14 09:25 PM
    dlna should do it i think without issue
    08-11-14 09:29 PM
    I bought a Bravia (46ex720) and it works a treat over dlna!
    ..After I bought the TV a wireless adapter.. (It says wireless ready on the box not wireless installed. So make sure the wireless adapter is built in the TV!) Just have both the TV and Z10 on the same network and that's it.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-11-14 09:45 PM
    I bought a Bravia (46ex720) and it works a treat over dlna!
    ..After I bought the TV a wireless adapter.. (It says wireless ready on the box not wireless installed. So make sure the wireless adapter is built in the TV!) Just have both the TV and Z10 on the same network and that's it.
    Thanks for the info and especially for the warning "Batteries not included" regarding the wifi add-on!

I'll take others' recommendation on tv brands if anyone has them.
    08-11-14 11:36 PM
    What you have to check on the smart TV is support for DLNA which is different to what Vizio offers with some smart TV of them.

For example with my Vizio TV I can use my z10 as second screen and push content to it from Netflix (via Android app) and YouTube ( browser or app) unfortunately the play on feature doesn't work with this model and with none of them as far as I know.

The problem with this is that most manufacturers don't list this features as clear as they should, for example manufacturers include miracast built in while others have DLNA.

My suggestion is to go and check some specialized forums, avs forums comes to mind right away.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-12-14 12:08 AM
    If you want to save some dollars. Get one of those WD Live boxes and WiFi Direct all your content.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    08-12-14 12:11 AM