to my kmowlegde, The Skype that will be avaible for BlackBerry 10 is android port (more in line with your #1 option) but it was a straight copy of the regular Skype for Android, but a version that was worked on and specially coded for the purpose of being converted to BlackBerry 10.
    The one seen in the video wasn't a user made port ( simple a.pk to .bar version). It comes preinstalled from Blackberry/Skype on review editions of BlackBerry Q10.

hope that clears it up
    Thanks, but still doesn't clear it up, IMHO, there is nothing different to the ported bar files that we side load vs. The ported bar file on BBW. Both went through the same steps, just one is official and one is not.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 01:37 PM
    Thanks, but still doesn't clear it up, IMHO, there is nothing different to the ported bar files that we side load vs. The ported bar file on BBW. Both went through the same steps, just one is official and one is not.

Posted via CB10
    No, there are definitely some optimizations that a developer can apply before they convert the APK. In the case of Skype, it has apparently undergone a fair amount of work to make it a better experience.

The same can be said of the Netflix .bar that's floating around out there; I suspect that it was actually leaked from within Netflix.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    04-24-13 01:45 PM
    No, there are definitely some optimizations that a developer can apply before they convert the APK. In the case of Skype, it has apparently undergone a fair amount of work to make it a better experience.

The same can be said of the Netflix .bar that's floating around out there; I suspect that it was actually leaked from within Netflix.
    I'm pretty sure when you convert a apk file to a bar file, you have options to tweak it as well, and sometimes it will have a difference of working or not depending on what tweaks you do.

I really hope they just grabbed the core engine, and wrapped cascades around UT for hub intergration.

I would love for Skype to have a true ring tone notification like a real phone call was coming in.

Love how PlayBook video chat works that way.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 01:52 PM
    Q10 is also not released to the public. So why should they release skype when that gives extra time to polish...

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 01:53 PM

The Netflix came from within bbry
    04-24-13 03:03 PM
    very disappointed on this Z10 it doesn't even have mobile banking apps....going for iphone!
    Enjoy your choice.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    04-24-13 03:07 PM
    It will come with 10.1.

Now I just hope that it isn't like the WP8 version. I saw the word, "Preview" and my heart fell. Skype was crap on WP8 until recently and they used the word "Preview" on it. :/
    04-24-13 03:10 PM
    I just paid my cellphone bill from my Bank of Nova Scotia APP that is native on my Z10... GO HOME TROLL!!! Trolls are not welcome, especially when you blatantly have no clue wtf you are talking about.
    To be fair, Wells Fargo doesn't have an app for BlackBerry 10. I actually don't think any US bank has a BlackBerry 10 app.

Posted via Z10
    04-24-13 03:39 PM
    Which is option 2 because it does not use the android runtime environment

Posted via CB10
    All android ports, modified or not use the Android runtime environment on BlackBerry 10, the only difference is that you modify the apk to better fit and optimized for the Android version running on BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-24-13 03:49 PM
    04-24-13 03:55 PM
    All android ports, modified or not use the Android runtime environment on BlackBerry 10, the only difference is that you modify the apk to better fit and optimized for the Android version running on BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    I understand but I posted in other thread from talks with Skype they said it wouldn't use runtime albeit it was last month so things could always change

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 04:06 PM
    I have my banks login page set as a home screen button. Why? Because the browser is good enough for almost anything.

Posted via CB10
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    04-24-13 04:38 PM
    Downloading and can't wait to try it out. One less barrier to entry for people with "must have" apps. I don't use Skype anymore anyways, since most of my family has Playbooks. But whatever it takes, let them bring in apps (Android for now, Native maybe later) so there will be less people complaining.
    04-24-13 05:08 PM
    To be fair, Wells Fargo doesn't have an app for BlackBerry 10. I actually don't think any US bank has a BlackBerry 10 app.

Posted via Z10
    I haven't heard anything, but I'm just making a point, that it's not up to BlackBerry, it's up to the banks to do so. Just combating the trolls to say banking apps do exist
    04-24-13 06:03 PM
    The Netflix came from within bbry
    THAT I can believe. I would gather, though, that it's because Netflix provided source code to BBRY developers.
    04-24-13 06:05 PM
    Downloading and can't wait to try it out. One less barrier to entry for people with "must have" apps. I don't use Skype anymore anyways, since most of my family has Playbooks. But whatever it takes, let them bring in apps (Android for now, Native maybe later) so there will be less people complaining.
    Will u mind trying to extract the bar and uploading it?
    04-24-13 06:27 PM
    Not sure how to extract the BAR... but there may be something floating around the Web if you Google skype.bar or something.

Anyways, just wait... it should hit the official app store soon.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 06:52 PM
    So...this is skype on BB10? Just using it now, there are some pretty serious bugs, and the whole thing is extremely laggy. They should probably change "Preview" to "Beta"...this isn't ready for primetime yet.
    04-24-13 07:11 PM
    Not sure how to extract the BAR... but there may be something floating around the Web if you Google skype.bar or something.

Anyways, just wait... it should hit the official app store soon.

Posted via CB10
    Sachup Firmware Grabber

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    04-24-13 08:17 PM
    So...this is skype on BB10? Just using it now, there are some pretty serious bugs, and the whole thing is extremely laggy. They should probably change "Preview" to "Beta"...this isn't ready for primetime yet.
    Now that reputations are on the line, suspect bugs will get attention. My own belief is that this is a bandaid from skype/microsoft and that things will improve from this day forth
    04-24-13 08:33 PM
    Now that reputations are on the line, suspect bugs will get attention. My own belief is that this is a bandaid from skype/microsoft and that things will improve from this day forth
    I really hope so...this app makes the unofficial, side loaded Netflix app look like a crown jewel.

I've seen Android ports run very well, so I chalk this one up to poor (see lazy, uninterested) development. It looks like Skype just gave this project to an intern and said "do what you can".
    04-24-13 08:42 PM
    very disappointed on this Z10 it doesn't even have mobile banking apps....going for iphone!
    All depends on where you live, of course. Canadian and other non-US banks seem to have caught up with the march of time.

Anyway, Skype is cool and all, but I almost never use it. Still, better than not having it at all.
    04-24-13 08:45 PM
    This shows up on main page of Blackberry World so looks to be a part of the Q10 launch promo. Nice!

Skype is on the Q10-img_00000020.png
    Skype is on the Q10-img_00000019.png

Posted by CB10 on Dev Alpha C
    04-26-13 07:42 PM
    He's right.. go through the top line swipe through it, you'll come across it
    Skype is on the Q10-img_00000642.png

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 07:47 PM
74 123