My son has just returned to University in the USA (Wichita) after his Christmas break back home in Scotland.
    For his Christmas he received a new Z10 (unlocked) ........ lucky him!
    He has been using an Orange PAYG SIM in the UK and now he is back in the US has swapped to his American T-Mobile SIM

He is on a normal talk/text/data plan in America having removed the BIS from the account now he has moved from his old 9300 to the Z10.
    Is it just a case of swapping the SIM (having cut it to a micro) and everything will work off his US, T-Mobile account
    Is there any other settings changes he needs to make to start using his American account & phone number on his new phone having used it in the UK previously?

Many thanks.
    01-11-14 10:26 AM
    yes as long as the phone is unlocked then sim swap with still provide full service unlike legacy BIS plans
    simonbarnes likes this.
    01-11-14 12:03 PM
    I'm not a BBerry legacy owner, but are the SIMs the same size?
    simonbarnes likes this.
    01-11-14 12:10 PM
    I'm not a BBerry legacy owner, but are the SIMs the same size?
    They are after a visit to ebay for a $3 SIM card cutter
    01-11-14 04:56 PM
    They can cut the SIM down at the T-Mobile store for free. My son took SIM from his 9360 to the store, they cut it in a device they have, and his phone was working immediately.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 06:12 PM
    Won't they just give him a new sim card?
    curvezzz likes this.
    01-11-14 06:27 PM
    Get a template on the internet.

Proudly posted by an Essex Lad with Z10
    01-11-14 08:08 PM
    Won't they just give him a new sim card?
    Nope they will charge to give a new SIM card unless the phone is under Warranty. I think they said $20 for new SIM. But they said they could cut the existing one for free and I was fine with that solution.

Posted via CB10
    sirmrui likes this.
    01-11-14 08:34 PM
    My son has just returned to University in the USA (Wichita) after his Christmas break back home in Scotland.
    For his Christmas he received a new Z10 (unlocked) ........ lucky him!
    He has been using an Orange PAYG SIM in the UK and now he is back in the US has swapped to his American T-Mobile SIM

He is on a normal talk/text/data plan in America having removed the BIS from the account now he has moved from his old 9300 to the Z10.
    Is it just a case of swapping the SIM (having cut it to a micro) and everything will work off his US, T-Mobile account
    Is there any other settings changes he needs to make to start using his American account & phone number on his new phone having used it in the UK previously?

Many thanks.
    I'm a recent US college graduate from Scotland (now working in the US) and I bought myself a Z10 from the CPW when I was home over the Christmas break. As long as your son's phone is unlocked and you cut the sim card properly (which is very easy to cut to a micro sim) then the phone will work just fine!

PS Good luck to your son, I hope he is enjoying his US college experience!!
    simonbarnes likes this.
    01-11-14 08:45 PM
    I'm a recent US college graduate from Scotland (now working in the US) and I bought myself a Z10 from the CPW when I was home over the Christmas break. As long as your son's phone is unlocked and you cut the sim card properly (which is very easy to cut to a micro sim) then the phone will work just fine!

PS Good luck to your son, I hope he is enjoying his US college experience!!
    Job done, bought a sim card cutter for a couple of quid and all seems to be working fine with the self cut micro sim (T-Mobile would'nt do it for him, insisting he should buy a new micro sim and then have them transfer his account to it).

PS He is loving study & playing football (soccer as you call it). Think he would like to do as you have done as stay on after his 4 years study and get a coaching job over there if he can ... time will tell!
    01-12-14 10:11 AM
    Job done, bought a sim card cutter for a couple of quid and all seems to be working fine with the self cut micro sim (T-Mobile would'nt do it for him, insisting he should buy a new micro sim and then have them transfer his account to it).

PS He is loving study & playing football (soccer as you call it). Think he would like to do as you have done as stay on after his 4 years study and get a coaching job over there if he can ... time will tell!
    Hope he enjoys his stay or extended stay here. Hope he also gets a chance to visit places like Yosemite National Park and the Grand Canyon - he can say something like "toto, we are not in Kansas anymore!"
    01-12-14 11:23 AM

Just curious, does your son have a UK STL100-2 Z10? If yes, how is the internet speed using the US T-Mobile sim, which is designed to run on the STL100-3 models? I have been doing the same thing, but it seems I can only get 2G or 3G at best. I have not been able to get anything close to 4G or LTE available from T-Mobile!

Posted via Z10
    simonbarnes likes this.
    01-12-14 11:26 AM
    Just curious, does your son have a UK STL100-2 Z10? If yes, how is the internet speed using the US T-Mobile sim, which is designed to run on the STL100-3 models? I have been doing the same thing, but it seems I can only get 2G or 3G at best. I have not been able to get anything close to 4G or LTE available from T-Mobile!

Posted via Z10
    Don't know STL Number (I didn't know there were differences) but it seems he is just getting 3G even though he is on a 4G plan.
    Is there anything he can do about this?
    01-12-14 06:05 PM
    Don't know STL Number (I didn't know there were differences) but it seems he is just getting 3G even though he is on a 4G plan.
    I don't think so because when I had asked before on CB, I was told that's because I am using the wrong phone in the wrong country. That's why I commented on your post to see if it's working for your son. Anyway, I guess we just have to use it as is and live with 3G or lower.

Posted via Z10
    01-12-14 06:25 PM
    Have him go to Settings>About>General and down the list the model number will be shown. 5will be STL100-X. The X is what determines the frequency support for the model. Report that back here and we can tell you what he should be able to do.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 06:34 PM
    Or just type myver...Z30STA100-2/10.2.0.1809 if it was purchased from a UK carrier it is most definitely a STL100-2... meaning it doesn't have the right bands to get LTE on T Mobile... AT&T or Verizon for that matter. 3G is the best you can do...

Posted via CB10... Z30STA100-2/10.2.0.1809
    01-12-14 07:13 PM
    T-Mobile sells these sim adapters they are about 5 dollars. They make the micro sim work with legacy hardware.
    SIM Swap, UK to USA-img_20140112_205012_hdr.jpg
    See sim trey for original iPhone with microsim and adapter. For the BlackBerry just add a little bit of tape to secure the microsim to the adaptor and voila

-Yar I be a pirate because according to Phil & Co. Over at Android Central I run 10.2.1 and I pirate
    01-12-14 10:53 PM
    There are threads where some form of Sim card adapter when used in the z10 (I THINK) has bent pins and wrecked the sim card slot.
    01-13-14 12:27 AM
    There are threads where some form of Sim card adapter when used in the z10 (I THINK) has bent pins and wrecked the sim card slot.
    That happens when it's no flush or gaps in the underside of the if you tape over then carefully you couldn't have that issue

I remember that's how Kevin broke the 9900 without even using it

-Yar I be a pirate because according to Phil & Co. Over at Android Central I run 10.2.1 and I pirate
    01-13-14 09:43 AM
    He's using STL100-2 because it was purchased in Europe. Their LTE bands are incompatible with the North American LTE bands. He'll have HSPA+ support though. not LTE. Which technically in North America should still be 4G. But since the phone is from Europe it's most likely using the European standard of measurement. Which HSPA and HSPA+ falls under 3G. unlike in North America where HSPA+ is considered 4G. :S

Who needs a sim card adapter... LOL =p

SIM Swap, UK to USA-img20140113105314.jpg
    scottishchris and simonbarnes like this.
    01-13-14 10:02 AM
    He's using STL100-2 because it was purchased in Europe. Their LTE bands are incompatible with the North American LTE bands. He'll have HSPA+ support though. not LTE. Which technically in North America should still be 4G. But since the phone is from Europe it's most likely using the European standard of measurement. Which HSPA and HSPA+ falls under 3G. unlike in North America where HSPA+ is considered 4G. :S

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20140113105314.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	238294
    Yes, as you said it is a STL 100-2 ... have told him to accept he is only going to get 3G ... no streaming music!!
    01-13-14 11:03 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20140113105314.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	238294
    You wouldn't want to short the reader now would you?

-Yar I be a pirate because according to Phil & Co. Over at Android Central I run 10.2.1 and I Sideload
    01-13-14 01:53 PM