I recently switched from Sprint (CDMA) to T-Mobile (GSM, SIM card). I'm wondering what, if any are the benefits or special uses of having a SIM card? I understand the CDMA is registered to a specific carrier only, and GSM can be moved from carrier to carrier. But what can I do differently as the owner of a SIM card?
    04-14-13 04:24 PM
    If you travel and you have a unlocked GSM phone, you can buy a local SIM card and service, and save on roaming fees.
    04-14-13 04:44 PM
    I recently switched from Sprint (CDMA) to T-Mobile (GSM, SIM card). I'm wondering what, if any are the benefits or special uses of having a SIM card? I understand the CDMA is registered to a specific carrier only, and GSM can be moved from carrier to carrier. But what can I do differently as the owner of a SIM card?
    GSM 3G let's you make simultaneous calls and data.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 04:45 PM
    GSM 3G let's you make simultaneous calls and data.

Posted via CB10
    The same can be done with CDMA if the manufacturer of the phone puts it in. It's called SVDO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-14-13 05:34 PM
    The same can be done with CDMA if the manufacturer of the phone puts it in. It's called SVDO.
    That was one thing Sprint didn't do.
    04-14-13 05:47 PM
    LRB, you can easily change service provider if you have unlocked phone, save on roaming charges, and easily change phones type

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 06:47 PM
    You can switch devices if you have a sim card without a hastle.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 06:49 PM
    SIM easily crushes CDMA in my opinion. I live in Canada so its a little bit different than in the states as all carriers have moved to the SIM system. Basically you can move between carriers if you unlock or have an unlocked device, if you travel you can put local SIM cards in the phone completely eliminating roaming fees.

CDMA is obsolete it is time for Verizon and Sprint to catch up.
    04-14-13 07:30 PM
    SIM easily crushes CDMA in my opinion. I live in Canada so its a little bit different than in the states as all carriers have moved to the SIM system. Basically you can move between carriers if you unlock or have an unlocked device, if you travel you can put local SIM cards in the phone completely eliminating roaming fees.

Actually upcoming until it's hspa+ network and now 4G LTE network, mts here in Manitoba was only cdma. It's what covered the whole entire province!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by J09GTSGraphite; 04-14-13 at 09:43 PM.
    04-14-13 09:11 PM
    I enjoy sim better for the ease of switching phones and service if needed. Unlocked phones are kinda easier to come by also..

Posted via unlocked Z10 on T-Mo in SoCal
    SK122387 likes this.
    04-14-13 09:40 PM
    I enjoy sim better for the ease of switching phones and service if needed. Unlocked phones are kinda easier to come by also..

Posted via unlocked Z10 on T-Mo in SoCal
    This is exactly why I prefer sim cards!! I usually have two or three BlackBerrys at a time (though I just sold both 9900s and my 9810, and only have a Z10 now), and having a sim card makes it so easy to switch between phones. I bought the white 9900 from Canada, because T-Mobile didn't carry it. I got the phone and put my sim in, and was on their 3G network (it said 3G om the screen, because that version of the phone doesn't consider the HSPA that T-Mobile has to be "4G" like my 9900 and 9810 did.

One bad thing about sim cards is that if you need a new one, you have to call your carrier and tell them you are having problems in order to get a replacement one for free...otherwise it's like $25 bucks.
    kb1234 likes this.
    04-14-13 09:53 PM
    Does your address book and other data store on the SIM or on the phone?
    04-14-13 10:04 PM
    This is exactly why I prefer sim cards!! I usually have two or three BlackBerrys at a time (though I just sold both 9900s and my 9810, and only have a Z10 now), and having a sim card makes it so easy to switch between phones. I bought the white 9900 from Canada, because T-Mobile didn't carry it. I got the phone and put my sim in, and was on their 3G network (it said 3G om the screen, because that version of the phone doesn't consider the HSPA that T-Mobile has to be "4G" like my 9900 and 9810 did.

One bad thing about sim cards is that if you need a new one, you have to call your carrier and tell them you are having problems in order to get a replacement one for free...otherwise it's like $25 bucks.
    No we don't charge for sim cards on T-Mobile I remember when some did back in 2011 but I have been back and forth between stores and we never charge.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 10:57 PM
    Does your address book and other data store on the SIM or on the phone?
    I would not suggest saving addresses books on sim cards because of limited capacity of 250-300 on T Mobile and not being able to save address, email to the Sims or if you do it won't populate when you insert the sim into another phone.

Sync contacts to your Gmail or outlook.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 11:01 PM
    No we don't charge for sim cards on T-Mobile I remember when some did back in 2011 but I have been back and forth between stores and we never charge.

Posted via CB10
    I need to come to your T-Mobile then haha. Whenever I have wanted to replace mine, the store tries to charge me $25, but if I have called 611 and the customer service rep has notated my account saying that my sim needs to be replaced, they waive the fee. And when I switched from the 9900 to the Z10, I had to pay $10 for a "sim starter kit" for the micro sim.
    04-15-13 12:20 PM
    04-15-13 01:01 PM
    piqued my curiosity! here's what pc mag says: CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Thanks, that helped somewhat. It seems information about me and my phone number/account is mostly what is stored on the SIM (should have figured out that one...Subscriber Information Module). My address book would probably fit too, because I don't have anywhere near 300.
    04-15-13 09:45 PM
    As soon as my contract is up I am dropping Sprint. They are on CDMA. Doesn't work well for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 10:37 PM
    Verizon is CDMA and my last 3 BBs were world phones with SIM cards. Works on both and does international fine. FWIW CDMA has better signal strength and is preferred in rural and mountainous areas. GSM sucks here in the Rockies and ATT is almost worthless. Their coverage is almost non-existent out of metropolitan areas here. My 9930 has a SIM and I have no problems overseas.
    04-15-13 11:38 PM

I'm sorry but verizon use a SIM card on most of their phones
    04-16-13 01:14 AM
    I'm sorry but verizon use a SIM card on most of their phones
    That's a dual-mode phone. Which shows you that CDMA carriers are recognizing that since most of the rest of the world uses GSM, they have to make that service avail. It used to be with dual-mode carriers you had to use their "roaming partners" when overseas, and they were expensive. (I had a dual mode phone once, but it was GSM/IDEN -- that's another story). Now I believe CDMA carriers allow unlocking of the GSM side. But the other problem was battery life suffered. May be different now.

But the BIG reason to be with T-Mo (USA) is wifi calling. You can be in a zero cell reception environment, and so long as you have wifi your cell # will connect to your local cell towers and normal calls are free... from anywhere in the world. (Supposedly coming to Z10 in an OTA).
    04-16-13 05:56 AM
    That's a dual-mode phone. Which shows you that CDMA carriers are recognizing that since most of the rest of the world uses GSM, they have to make that service avail. It used to be with dual-mode carriers you had to use their "roaming partners" when overseas, and they were expensive. (I had a dual mode phone once, but it was GSM/IDEN -- that's another story). Now I believe CDMA carriers allow unlocking of the GSM side. But the other problem was battery life suffered. May be different now.

But the BIG reason to be with T-Mo (USA) is wifi calling. You can be in a zero cell reception environment, and so long as you have wifi your cell # will connect to your local cell towers and normal calls are free... from anywhere in the world. (Supposedly coming to Z10 in an OTA).
    My 9930 on Sprint was dual. The GSM side was unlocked and I did use it while in Europe with Danish and German SIMs. Data was downgraded speed though. So I guess I could have used it to get 2g on ATT, but why? Using the CDMA side on Sprint's network was great. Actually, if Sprint had picked up the Z10, I'd still be with them. But I went T-mo and have discovered faster than 3G speeds and I'm not looking back.
    04-16-13 07:44 AM
    I wish GSM networks worked around me. As it is they suck with no to little service in my area.
    04-16-13 07:54 AM
    My 9930 on Sprint was dual. The GSM side was unlocked and I did use it while in Europe with Danish and German SIMs. Data was downgraded speed though. So I guess I could have used it to get 2g on ATT, but why? Using the CDMA side on Sprint's network was great. Actually, if Sprint had picked up the Z10, I'd still be with them. But I went T-mo and have discovered faster than 3G speeds and I'm not looking back.
    Sprint only goes up to 3g in Ohio it says 4G but it is not we have done about

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:02 AM
    cdma hand off from tower to tower better when driving without dropped call!
    04-16-13 08:06 AM