I recommend the tags from tagger.ca

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 02:37 PM
    How big does the storage have to be on the tags for it to say.launch an app or toggle something? The biggest I can find is 1k I think. Is that enough?

Posted via CB10
    1K should be enough for most. Unless you have like 10 different tasks saved to one tag.

- Developer of PinGuin
    12-15-13 02:51 PM
    Not new to BlackBerry but new to NFC. Just bought a vehicle that has Bluetooth so I'm going to explore creating some tags.

Can anyone tell me if on 10.2 smart tag app, If I'm adding a "smart trigger", and I add wifi, and leave it set to toggle, does it just turn wifi off if on when I tap the tag and vice versa if on, turn it off?

Posted via CB10
    Regarding your question with Wifi: Yes. (On 10.2 and above.)

I've been using the Smart Tag app and NFC tags for several months now and have a decent amount of experience with the process. I'll summarize some points here, though others have already answered questions associated with a few of them:

1. The Smart Tag app is so much better on 10.2 compared to 10.1, as I was exploring NFC tags back then and was extremely frustrated with it. The Wifi toggle option was one of many additions added in 10.2.

2. The "Smart Triggers" option is where most people will likely be looking for functionality as this is where you can not only set on/off toggles (wifi, bluetooth, notification profile, airplane mode, launch app, change wallpaper, etc.), but also add combinations depending on your needs. So for me, for example, I have an NFC tag on my car's dashboard, and tapping it with my phone when I first enter turns off my wifi radio, turns on my bluetooth radio (to connect to my FM transmitter), and toggles my notifications profile from vibrate only to normal, all at once. Tapping it again when I leave the car reverses these actions.

3. Unfortunately there isn't a "Bedside Mode" option available yet, which sucks, though 10.2.1 does add the option for Bedside Mode to the Quick Settings menu (swipe down from the top bezel while on the homescreen).

4. You can set an NFC tag to launch a particular app, or multiple apps, though these actions typically require more space (~80-100 bytes) than other actions like wifi/bluetooth toggles ( ~44 bytes).

5. Per CB member Vijik, who used to develop for BB10 and made some awesome apps related to system/profile shortcuts and NFC tag creation (ShortcutMe and MyProfilesPro), the Mifare Ultralight C tags that were mentioned earlier apparently work best with BB10, and can store 192 bytes of info (so for reference sake using my example above, the tag in my car uses ~136 bytes of data). He warned that other Mifare tags like the 1K and 4K do not work with BB10 and would be a waste of money for BlackBerry users. I don't remember why he said they don't work well but he was very adamant about it. You can try them if you like, but I wouldn't risk it. I bought the Ultralight C tags (pack of 10) for about $15 on Amazon w/ free Super Savers shipping.

6. The biggest gripe that I have with NFC on BB10 is that if I tap the tag I've previously created while in BBM in any way, shape or form (i.e. via the Hub, the standalone app, or through the share menu), for some reason my device will overwrite the physical tag to now launch the BBM app. And it's a hard-written into the tag too, so I have to erase it (using Smart Tags) and re-write my instructions to it over again. I don't lock my tags so I don't know if doing so prevents this (or makes it impossible to re-write after it's happened), so I can't comment on that. But the easiest way to avoid it is to make sure I'm not anywhere near BBM when I want to use my NFC tag.

All in all, I am so very happy that RIM/BlackBerry decided to support NFC (I was very jealous of BlackBerry users with BB7 devices when I had my Storm 2), and I think it's a great way to add convenience to your everyday life.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 03:30 PM
    If the tag is locked it's permanent.

? AT&T Z10 STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 ?
    12-15-13 03:59 PM

6. The biggest gripe that I have with NFC on BB10 is that if I tap the tag I've previously created while in BBM in any way, shape or form (i.e. via the Hub, the standalone app, or through the share menu), for some reason my device will overwrite the physical tag to now launch the BBM app. And it's a hard-written into the tag too, so I have to erase it (using Smart Tags) and re-write my instructions to it over again. I don't lock my tags so I don't know if doing so prevents this (or makes it impossible to re-write after it's happened), so I can't comment on that. But the easiest way to avoid it is to make sure I'm not anywhere near BBM when I want to use my NFC tags.
    Yea I noticed this too, super annoying. Although I've noticed this happen if I've added somebody on BBM through NFC, even if I have BBM closed it automatically opens BBM next time I click on ANY tag. Hopefully the full 10.2.1 release will fix this. I too, am afraid to lock to tags just in case I can't unlock them, I'd rather not waste tags. I believe locking them likely fixes this issue though.

- Developer of PinGuin
    00stryder likes this.
    12-15-13 04:02 PM
    That's what I thought, but don't want to risk it like you, lol. I didn't know that about adding someone via BBM, that too sounds extremely annoying. I think the BlackBerry devs are aware of the issue by now though, especially with 10.2 out in the wild.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 04:22 PM
    Yea I noticed this too, super annoying. Although I've noticed this happen if I've added somebody on BBM through NFC, even if I have BBM closed it automatically opens BBM next time I click on ANY tag. Hopefully the full 10.2.1 release will fix this. I too, am afraid to lock to tags just in case I can't unlock them, I'd rather not waste tags. I believe locking them likely fixes this issue though.

- Developer of PinGuin
    Once tags are locked it's permanent.

12-15-13 04:22 PM
    If the tag is locked it's permanent.

True, but is it still susceptible to the BBM glitch that Brandon and I described? That's what the worry is for us, and (right now) neither of us are willing to test.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 04:25 PM
    True, but is it still susceptible to the BBM glitch that Brandon and I described? That's what the worry is for us, and (right now) neither of us are willing to test.

Posted via CB10
    Can't be because locking it renders it just that, locked. Can't be unlocked, changed, or erased.
    Silly SmartTag Question-img_20132320.png

I'll test it hang on

12-15-13 04:55 PM
    Can't be because locking it renders it just that, locked. Can't be unlocked, changed, or erased.

I'll test it hang on

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But the glitch we're talking about is not normal app behavior. I couldn't tell you (right now) whether locking the tag protects it from the BBM issue.

I did say earlier that the glitch hard-codes it to the tag, but now I'm not sure if it just screws up with the way that the phone recognizes the tag instructions. I can't remember if I tested it with my fiancee's phone as well so I'm not 100% sure which process is actually affected.

Edit: By test do you mean attempt to replicate the BBM glitch on a locked NFC tag? Or simply attempting to erase/write on an existing tag? If it's the former, I'd definitely recommend against it...

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 05:10 PM
    It's not normal app behavior but from what I read the tag is rewritten to launch bbm instead of the original triggers. So if locked it can't be overwritten even if it's an os glitch. I'm on Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 and had bbm open, tapped my tag which is not locked and has 3 triggers on it and it performed the triggers. Nothing was rewritten or launched that was not written on the tag. Had it displayed what you two posted I would have locked the tag and tried again. So it's either your os or tag.

00stryder likes this.
    12-15-13 05:39 PM
    It's not normal app behavior but from what I read the tag is rewritten to launch bbm instead of the original triggers. So if locked it can't be overwritten even if it's an os glitch. I'm on Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 and had bbm open, tapped my tag which is not locked and has 3 triggers on it and it performed the triggers. Nothing was rewritten or launched that was not written on the tag. Had it displayed what you two posted I would have locked the tag and tried again. So it's either your os or tag.

Sounds like a tag issue then as I've had it happen on several OS build (I've installed a lot of leaked OS's, lol). Nonetheless, thanks for performing the test!

Brandon, are you using the Mifare Ultralight C tags as well?

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:05 PM
    Silly SmartTag Question-img_20132283.jpg

My tags

12-15-13 06:13 PM
    Sounds like a tag issue then as I've had it happen on several OS build (I've installed a lot of leaked OS's, lol). Nonetheless, thanks for performing the test!

Brandon, are you using the Mifare Ultralight C tags as well?

Posted via CB10
    It's an OS issue I'm pretty sure. I got my tags and they all work with my phone. The tags would have to be overwritten to not work. Hence the OS must be writing over them with the BBM information.

- Developer of PinGuin
    12-15-13 06:45 PM
    Hmmm... this is definitely weird. I've had this problem on multiple OS's from the very first time that I noticed it, so although I agree that it can be fixed with a software update, I still think there's more to it than just the OS. Unless BlackBerry has missed this bug completely.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 07:29 PM
    Hmmm... this is definitely weird. I've had this problem on multiple OS's from the very first time that I noticed it, so although I agree that it can be fixed with a software update, I still think there's more to it than just the OS. Unless BlackBerry has missed this bug completely.

Posted via CB10
    Yea I think the issue has persisted through various OS iterations. I've experienced it through multiple OS' as well.

- Developer of PinGuin
    00stryder likes this.
    12-15-13 07:35 PM
    So the only thing that changed was os? The Tag was a constant?

12-15-13 08:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    If we only discuss bugs amongst ourselves and don't report them to BB, they may never find out about it. They do have an official forum and I guess there's a Twitter route.
    00stryder likes this.
    12-15-13 08:20 PM
    So the only thing that changed was os? The Tag was a constant?

Yea. The tag remained constant.

- Developer of PinGuin
    12-15-13 08:27 PM
    Yea. The tag remained constant.

- Developer of PinGuin
    Then it seems a tag issue. I'm on Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 with the tags previously posted and can not duplicate this issue.

12-15-13 08:31 PM
    Then it seems a tag issue. I'm on Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 with the tags previously posted and can not duplicate this issue.

I have the same tags as the ones you posted an image of. I actually have an assortment of 80 NFC tags of different variations that are all supported by BB10's NFC. I will do some more troubleshooting and make a bug report to Blackberry tomorrow.
    00stryder likes this.
    12-15-13 09:36 PM
    If we only discuss bugs amongst ourselves and don't report them to BB, they may never find out about it. They do have an official forum and I guess there's a Twitter route.
    You're absolutely right, though I think this particular issue is known to BlackBerry. I'm a little weary about submitting bug reports these days since I'm almost always on a leaked OS...

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and Brandon Orr like this.
    12-15-13 09:56 PM
    [QUOTE=00stryder;9711107]Regarding your question with Wifi: Yes. (On 10.2 and above.)

4. You can set an NFC tag to launch a particular app, or multiple apps, though these actions typically require more space (~80-100 bytes) than other actions like wifi/bluetooth toggles ( ~44 bytes).

How do you add multiple apps.
    After I select smart trigger, then add action, then launch app, then pick the app I want, then add action, but smart triggers is no longer in the list of things to add? Did I miss something? Using 10.2.1.1925 and my tag is 1kb.

Seriously, this Z10 is a Contender!! Keep it up BB
    01-24-14 08:36 AM
48 12