Anyone know how? I've tried turning down the master volume, and using different notifications profiles but no luck. It works on the PlayBook so I expected on the Z10 but maybe it's not implemented yet...
    02-07-13 01:23 PM
    It's a safeguard against peepers
    just_luc and BergerKing like this.
    02-07-13 01:23 PM
    Anyone know how? I've tried turning down the master volume, and using different notifications profiles but no luck. It works on the PlayBook so I expected on the Z10 but maybe it's not implemented yet...
    what do you need to take pictures of if you need it silenced lol
    BergerKing and just_luc like this.
    02-07-13 01:32 PM
    A sleeping baby? I've also taken pictures of a lot of book pages in a library (when a copier wasn't available.)

Point is, there are many legal uses for this feature. I hope devcellent brings their OS7 app to BB10.
    Last edited by raino; 02-07-13 at 05:30 PM.
    02-07-13 02:01 PM
    At a play, of books at the library, in class. Sometimes I just don't want the shutter noise...

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    ShaggyM8 likes this.
    02-07-13 05:08 PM
    There might be a few valid examples.. but for the greater good I hope the shutter sound remains constant.. too much potential for abuse of a silent cell phone camera.
    02-07-13 05:21 PM
    There might be a few valid examples.. but for the greater good I hope the shutter sound remains constant.. too much potential for abuse of a silent cell phone camera.
    That will be hard a achieve since all iPhones can have the shutter silenced just by putting the phone on silent mode.
    02-15-13 12:51 PM
    considering here in Canada there is privacy laws, BlackBerry adheres to the laws of Canada, and makes it's phones with non silenced shutters. It's a legal issue because of peepers and such.
    just_luc likes this.
    02-15-13 12:55 PM
    Abuse? How? It's not illegal to take pictures of people in public spaces. And pretty much every other phone allows you to switch the shutter sound off. It's not for blackberry to decide that no shutter sound gives rise to the potential for 'abuse'.
    02-15-13 12:57 PM
    At a Christening.
    02-15-13 01:03 PM
    Look on the phone. There is probably a wave file that you can change to a silent one. I might look into it if I remember and am bored this weekend.
    02-15-13 01:04 PM
    Abuse? How? It's not illegal to take pictures of people in public spaces. And pretty much every other phone allows you to switch the shutter sound off. It's not for blackberry to decide that no shutter sound gives rise to the potential for 'abuse'.
    It is up to Blackberry to follow the laws of Canada... and instead of trying to switch it on and off per country, they just turn the silence off
    just_luc likes this.
    02-15-13 01:08 PM
    It's their phone... I'm pretty sure it is for them to decide
    02-15-13 01:09 PM
    Found this on the blackberry webforums....

I'd think that RIM forces the sound to comply with the possible passage of H.R. 414, better known as the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act. Here's the text of the proposed legislation:

SEC. 3. AUDIBLE SOUND STANDARD.
    (a) Requirement- Beginning 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, any mobile phone containing a digital camera that is manufactured for sale in the United States shall sound a tone or other sound audible within a reasonable radius of the phone whenever a photograph is taken with the camera in such phone. A mobile phone manufactured after such date shall not be equipped with a means of disabling or silencing such tone or sound.

(b) Enforcement by Consumer Product Safety Commission- The requirement in subsection (a) shall be treated as a consumer product safety standard promulgated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission under section 7 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2056). A violation of subsection (a) shall be enforced by the Commission under section 19 of such Act (15 U.S.C. 2068).
    nickdollimount and just_luc like this.
    02-15-13 01:11 PM
    Here is a link to the US laws.... Apple and all other manufactures that are not BlackBerry are technically breaking the law

H.R.414: Camera Phone Predator Alert Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
    nickdollimount and just_luc like this.
    02-15-13 01:12 PM
    WOW! But there are reasons for the sound.

All YOU need to do is flush the toilet just as you take the image so they won't hear your camera in the next stall!
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-15-13 01:30 PM
    All YOU need to do is flush the toilet just as you take the image so they won't hear your camera in the next stall!
    All that's wrong with the world today is summed up in this post..
    bbfan1040 and frifred like this.
    02-15-13 01:36 PM
    All that's wrong with the world today is summed up in this post..
    I am glad that at least ONE person realizes it is wrong.
    05-02-13 05:37 AM