When at home I am in the habit of setting my phone on wifi and network to GSM. But my voice connection is marginal (which is why I usually have wifi-calling on a phone). Tonight I noticed this: wifi + network setting to HSPA + UMTS + GSM resulted in my signal/voice/text strength going from no signal + maybe 1, to 3 to 5. Why is that?

Thanks... and remember:
    "If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?" - Scott Adams.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-29-13 11:05 PM
    There are non stupid questions so you are not stupid

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing and trynacu2 like this.
    04-29-13 11:20 PM
    Why are you switching to gsm at home?

Posted via the Batcave
    04-29-13 11:23 PM
    Simply put, you're giving the phone the option of connecting to different networks. It will then connect to the one where it has the strongest signal. Of course a stronger signal means a better connection for voice calls.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 11:23 PM
    When at home I am in the habit of setting my phone on wifi and network to GSM. But my voice connection is marginal (which is why I usually have wifi-calling on a phone). Tonight I noticed this: wifi + network setting to HSPA + UMTS + GSM resulted in my signal/voice/text strength going from no signal + maybe 1, to 3 to 5. Why is that?

Thanks... and remember:
    "If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?" - Scott Adams.
    Now, I'm just guessing here, but perhaps the setting you had was denying access to the strongest network available to you? You reset, and the connection actually got to work as it should. If anyone else has input, go for it!
    04-29-13 11:26 PM
    Why are you switching to gsm at home?

Posted via the Batcave
    Because not every carrier has the same signal strength for everything everywhere. I know because I too have suffered with this.

Back on the 9780, I had to go EDGE+WiFi at home if I wanted to get phone calls. 3G was too spotty to be trusted and it would disconnect calls frequently (luckily the Z10 can handle HSPA+, which my carrier has a much better signal here).

Now, on the OP's not stupid at all question: You got me curious there. Berger's theory of interference could be right though.
    04-29-13 11:37 PM
    Okay but I'm asking the OP why he's switching at home seems bad reception isn't the cause or he wouldn't of switched to gsm when he's getting better reception on a better network that comes set out of the box.

Posted via the Batcave
    04-29-13 11:44 PM
    Okay but I'm asking the OP why he's switching at home seems bad reception isn't the cause or he wouldn't of switched to gsm when he's getting better reception on a better network that comes set out of the box.

Posted via the Batcave
    I was switching to GSM (and on wifi) because I wanted to be sure I was using wifi for data and it seems like all I'd need for voice signal is GSM. But I guess the crux of the question is: do these other frequencies carry a "voice" signal? Or look at it another way: why should I need anything besides GSM for voice?

Thanks
    Last edited by scrannel; 04-30-13 at 08:06 AM.
    04-30-13 06:55 AM
    I was switching to GSM (and on wifi) because I wanted to be sure I was using wifi for data and it seems like all I'd need for voice signal is GSM. But I guess the crux of the question is: do these other frequencies carry a "voice" signal? Or look at it another way: why should I need anything besides GSM for voice?

Thanks
    Really...

Yes, 2G, 3G, HSPA+, LTE... they all carry a "voice signal".

Only reason to go down a knot is to get better signal strength. Usually, carriers have stronger signal for older, well established, technologies.

Data is controlled by software. Your phone will use WiFi first, then carrier if WiFi isn't available.

So if you switch to GSM because your 3G signal is bad and you wanna make sure you get your calls, fine. But doing it to make sure you don't use carrier data is irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 11:25 AM
    What you need to do is leave mobile networks on and turn data services off when at home on Wifi. This way you will receive all your normal services and all data will be via wifi

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 12:58 PM