Long story short I currently pay $100 a month for 450 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited 3G. My unlimited data plan will no longer be applicable (no longer offered by Verizon) once I'm ready to upgrade, seems like I will need to switch to 4GB 50 dollar data plan - which will put me at $110 a month. Seems pretty ridiculous to be paying this much for a damn phone. I'll be able to early terminate without a fee.

The post today about Solavei (BlackBerry Z10 comes to the US early thanks to Solavei | CrackBerry.com) really got me thinking about making a move. $50 a month for unlimited t-mobile 4G seems like a really good deal- I'd just have to source an unlocked phone from Canada at a decent price (don't feel like paying $999 as mentioned in the link above) and I'm golden- any insight would be much appreciated- thanks guys!
    02-11-13 11:08 PM
    I'm not digging this map:

Coverage Map and Availability of Cell Phone Service | Solavei
    Coverage in Canada and Mexico not included.
    Service Partner: Also known as Domestic Roaming is when service is provided by a Roaming Partner. Typically data services are at 2G speeds.Service activations are not possible within "Service Partner" and "No Service" coverage areas.
    And that's T-Mo they're running on. I'm curious if they'll switch to LTE, or stay on 4G. Price for service is awesome. Phones, not so much.

Edit - You should check with VZW on their site. My work email yeilded a 21% discount the same plan, with a smaller text plan, and pay $65mth.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-11-13 11:34 PM

Coverage Map and Availability of Cell Phone Service | Solavei

And that's T-Mo they're running on. I'm curious if they'll switch to LTE, or stay on 4G. Price for service is awesome. Phones, not so much.

Edit - You should check with VZW on their site. My work email yeilded a 21% discount the same plan, with a smaller text plan, and pay $65mth.
    Thank you for the reply. I'm located in NJ/NY so the coverage looks great in my area. What do you mean by work e-mail?
    02-12-13 12:18 AM
    so... if they run on TMO, but TMO can't release the Z10 until testing is complete, then... I don't quite get that.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    02-12-13 12:21 AM
    http://www.verizon.com/b2c/support/employee-discount-email

@southlander - Beats the crap outa me *shrugs*
    02-12-13 12:27 AM
    You'll save a LOT using prepaid even if the mobile is expensive outright. If you have the money, go for it
    02-12-13 01:32 AM
    http://www.verizon.com/b2c/support/employee-discount-email

@southlander - Beats the crap outa me *shrugs*
    Ahh thanks- I'm currently self employed so that doesn't help me!

You'll save a LOT using prepaid even if the mobile is expensive outright. If you have the money, go for it
    That was my thinking as well- thanks for your input.
    02-12-13 09:20 AM
    If you like the coverage you receive from Verizon, I wouldn't leave for Solavei AND still pay $600 + for the Z10. I currently have both Verizon and Solavei, and of course the speed and coverage from Verizon is better, but Solavei's(T-mobile) network in my area is better than expected. As long as you pay for your own phone, versus getting the discounted upgrade pricing, you won't lose your unlimited data with Verizon. But if you plan on getting rid of Verizon to save $ on your monthly, then yeah I'd go with Solavei. I'm actually interested in the Z10 myself, just don't want to pay that hefty price for either carrier just yet.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 03-01-13 at 12:25 AM. Reason: advertising
    02-28-13 11:09 PM
    If you like the coverage you receive from Verizon, I wouldn't leave for Solavei AND still pay $600 + for the Z10. I currently have both Verizon and Solavei, and of course the speed and coverage from Verizon is better, but Solavei's(T-mobile) network in my area is better than expected. As long as you pay for your own phone, versus getting the discounted upgrade pricing, you won't lose your unlimited data with Verizon. But if you plan on getting rid of Verizon to save $ on your monthly, then yeah I'd go with Solavei. I'm actually interested in the Z10 myself, just don't want to pay that hefty price for either carrier just yet.
    Thanks for the thoughtful response, much appreciated. Although I'd like to keep the unlimited data- I've come to realize I probably don't even use close to 4gb a month- I'm not really a power user. With that being said- I'm more or less just looking to save money on my monthly- $100 bucks a month to have a phone is kind of crazy IMO.

So is there anyone here that has a z10 on Solavei yet? I'd love to hear some more feedback before making the jump....

PS- I am the OP, just posting under my new username...
    03-18-13 04:12 PM
    Would ATT's version of the z10 work on Solavei's network? This seems the be the cheapest way to get the phone currently. ($550)

BlackBerry Z10 - Black cell phone from AT&T
    03-18-13 04:56 PM
    bumppp - anyone?
    03-19-13 07:35 PM
    And that's T-Mo they're running on.
    solavei is partnered with t-mobile and uses the same 4G roaming agreement with at&t as what a regular t-mo customer would get. . therefore, if you have a t-mo LTE phone on t-mo's network then you'll roam on at&t LTE.

for a true representation of 4G coverage on solavei, look at at&t's 4G map as well as t-mobile. . this holds true for t-mo customers as well, not just solavei.

everyone craps on t-mo's 4G service but the failed at&t merger very well could leave the nay-sayers eating crow and an influx of customers switching to (or back to) t-mobile. . time will tell.

If you like the coverage you receive from Verizon, I wouldn't leave for Solavei AND still pay $600 + for the Z10.
    with verizon at $100~110 per month, that's $1200~1320 per year assuming the device is free. . if solavei is $50/month and $690 for the phone, that's $1290 for the year. . the math looks fairly equal save for the change in network. . that might not be such a bad thing in the end.

Would ATT's version of the z10 work on Solavei's network? This seems the be the cheapest way to get the phone currently. ($550)
    if at&t will actually sell it outright to a non-customer without a contract then i'd be surprised. . even if they did then it would be locked, requiring unlocking before it could be firmware updated on t-mobile's network to include 1700MHz 4G support. . the chances of this process working smoothly is slim, especially since it's highly unlikely to get at&t (or any other carrier for that matter) to sell you a phone without some sort of service or contract.

Ahh thanks- I'm currently self employed so that doesn't help me!
    in that case you might want to take a look at t-mo's small business value plans: Small Business Unlimited Phone Plans | Business Savings | T-Mobile

(full disclaimer: i have NO affiliation with t-mobile other than being a long-time customer)
    03-19-13 08:15 PM
    So I'm on a tmobile prepaid plan and love it. Thirty bucks a month for unlimited data (5gb at 4g) unlimited messaging. The kicker is only 100 minutes but most people use less than that. I setup a voip connection on an old android or use Gmail on my computer for long calls. So I think it's fine as I get unlimited minutes when I'm on wifi. I haven't seen a good voip app yet for the z10 so that's limited to the home right now.

Yes the service isn't great, but I'm in a big city so I don't notice that much. Also tmobile is famous for being not great at going through buildings. I didn't get much reception in the boonies of new Hampshire when I lived there.

So yes if you think you can live without the luxury of a full fledged post paid plan I absolutely recommend it. You save so much its not even fair. I remember looking at AT&T and vz plans a few months ago. 100 bucks a month is a huge rip off and I can't believe the scammers carriers can get away with charging people that much. Blows my mind. Oh yea and like you said with prepaid you can buy your own phone which socks up front but I save at least 60$ a month, Definitely worth it over a year or two. Plus I can pop out my sim card whenever I want and don't have to call vz to activate it or anything.

Hope that helps sorry I can't speak to that solveri company but sounds like I'm using the same network. Feel free to ask away or BBM me at pin:24D200B3.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 08:26 PM

BlackBerry Z10 - Black cell phone from AT&T

I've heard the best prices are on gsm arena or Newegg for unlocked z10s

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 08:28 PM