So I've noticed my battery draining quickly the last few weeks. Today I had my phone on my bed and was reading, I heard a weird noise... like a hard drive ticking.

I put the Z10 to my ear (where the USB port is) and I can actually hear it, it sounds exactly like an old hard drive revving up...

I'm guessing this is bad

I have dropped it a few times, but not even a scratch on it (i use a pretty tough case)

I also don't know how long this has been happening, could be since I got the phone.

Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 06:22 PM
    LOL... I'm pretty sure there are no moving parts inside the Z10. Have you tried another battery? It could be the battery making 'fizzy' noises as it starts to fail.
    03-19-14 06:25 PM
    LOL... I'm pretty sure there are no moving parts inside the Z10. Have you tried another battery? It could be the battery making 'fizzy' noises as it starts to fail.
    I know right? I'm so confused

It is definitely making a sound though

I have tried with two batteries (i have the bundle)

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 06:27 PM
    Wow, I googled it and found this. This is the same sound... but it is constant, even while using the phone.

It's very low, you have to really listen.

https://soundcloud.com/ixec-gaming/untitled-4

(sorry for outside link, it's important to the topic though)

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 06:29 PM
    The only moving part should be the vibrator, maybe in one of the drops it got damaged?
    03-19-14 06:34 PM
    Wow, I googled it and found this. This is the same sound... but it is constant, even while using the phone.

It's very low, you have to really listen.

https://soundcloud.com/ixec-gaming/untitled-4

(sorry for outside link, it's important to the topic though)

Posted via CB10
    That popping could also be a speaker
    03-19-14 06:36 PM
    That's probably capacitor whine.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 09:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Is it normal?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 11:39 PM
    So I've noticed my battery draining quickly the last few weeks. Today I had my phone on my bed and was reading, I heard a weird noise... like a hard drive ticking.

I put the Z10 to my ear (where the USB port is) and I can actually hear it, it sounds exactly like an old hard drive revving up...

I'm guessing this is bad

I have dropped it a few times, but not even a scratch on it (i use a pretty tough case)

I also don't know how long this has been happening, could be since I got the phone.

Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    Funny, I read this and decided to put my phone to my ear. Right where the charging port is, and I can hear a constant ticking. Like a wristwatch. Kind of tripped me out. Lol. Normal I guess?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 11:53 PM
    Funny, I read this and decided to put my phone to my ear. Right where the charging port is, and I can hear a constant ticking. Like a wristwatch. Kind of tripped me out. Lol. Normal I guess?

Posted via CB10
    I hear ticking too but it's not constant, mine ticks in an almost cyclical pattern. Like Morse code lol...

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:55 AM
    They try to communicate with you )

Posted via CB10
    scorepion and sisko2003 like this.
    03-20-14 04:00 AM
    Wow I hear the ticking from mine too!

Very weird but I guess it must be normal.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 04:21 AM
    Mine don't tick

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 04:30 AM
    That ticking/whiring sound is the NSA pinging your phone. Apparently, you are somebody who needs to be watched and listened to.

Live it, love it, be it.....BB10
    03-20-14 05:14 AM
    Okay so here are my thoughts. I do not have issues with my Z really but figured I would see what could hear. To my surprise there was sound.

Is your phone a GSM version? To me this sounds just like when you put your phone next to some unshielded speakers and you can hear the GSM connection through them.

Maybe the speaker within the Z is shielded but not completely so then the sound feeds into the speaker.

Just my thoughts.
    03-20-14 06:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    This ^^

There was a thread on this topic a few months ago. The sound is normal.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 07:47 AM
    Okay so here are my thoughts. I do not have issues with my Z really but figured I would see what could hear. To my surprise there was sound.

Is your phone a GSM version? To me this sounds just like when you put your phone next to some unshielded speakers and you can hear the GSM connection through them.

Maybe the speaker within the Z is shielded but not completely so then the sound feeds into the speaker.

Just my thoughts.
    Mine is the Verizon model, but I think all of them have enough GSM components to cause the annoying audio interference. I don't think that's it though.

Mine sounds like a crystal oscillator used for timing (maybe for the USB port?)

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 08:13 AM
    Heh... i've just heard mine making the noise after I took it from the charger.. pushed sleep button and the noise disappeared..

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 06:30 PM
    There was a thread about this a while ago. My Z10 did the same thing. Not sure about my Z30. I'll test later this evening.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 06:36 PM