OK, Saturday went to Costco and plopped down a little over 12 bucks total for a new white Verizon Z10. Bad thing is that it wasn't in stock and I won't have it until Wednesday, Thursday latest. I have been a member of this site for a few years, first had a 9650 then a 9930. I currently love my 64GB Playbook.

After reading a bunch of stuff here on CB, I am wondering if, before I do anything else, I should just dive headfirst into 10.2 since Verizon keeps dragging their feet. I figure that way I won't have to worry about losing any messages, data, settings, or apps. But I have also read that maybe I should wait a few days before I do it. It's not like I am a newbie or anything. I previously loaded leaks on both my old BBOS phones, and I sideload stuff on the PB all of the time. I figure that the OS is made for the phone, so there shouldn't be any issues, specially in a brand new virgin phone.

Lookin for a little feedback. TIA.
    08-26-13 11:56 AM
    OK, Saturday went to Costco and plopped down a little over 12 bucks total for a new white Verizon Z10. Bad thing is that it wasn't in stock and I won't have it until Wednesday, Thursday latest. I have been a member of this site for a few years, first had a 9650 then a 9930. I currently love my 64GB Playbook.

After reading a bunch of stuff here on CB, I am wondering if, before I do anything else, I should just dive headfirst into 10.2 since Verizon keeps dragging their feet. I figure that way I won't have to worry about losing any messages, data, settings, or apps. But I have also read that maybe I should wait a few days before I do it. It's not like I am a newbie or anything. I previously loaded leaks on both my old BBOS phones, and I sideload stuff on the PB all of the time. I figure that the OS is made for the phone, so there shouldn't be any issues, specially in a brand new virgin phone.

I'm on VZW too.
    10.2 is awesome. It adds a whole new layer of functionality to the z10.

Even with data, it really isn't that bad installing the leak.

I would also recommend a screen protector & case. (Although many brave souls in here like to keep it naked)

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 12:03 PM
    Woo hoo! Wednesday or Thursday will be a great day for you! Once you're through getting used to it (it's so different from OS7), go ahead and load the most recent leak available. Each leak produces better and better experiences IMO.

Enjoy and congratulations!
    08-26-13 12:05 PM
    I have found a couple of bugs in 10.2 but nothing that I lose any sleep over. There are some very good improvements to the calendar, messaging and camera functions so I'd go for it. Then spend some time getting used to the OS as it is quite different from legacy phones. Remember it is a new OS and doesn't have the same features as 7.1 or earlier versions of BBOS.

I'd also second the comment about a screen protector or case. You need to protect the screen in some way because the phone won't work if the screen is damaged. Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy your new BlackBerry 10. It's a great device that is only getting better with time.

Posted via CB10
    robkd likes this.
    08-26-13 12:13 PM
    Update the phone to official 10.1 MR1 OR yeah, the leaked 10.2. The usual social network stuff: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn. Some sort of 2-factor auth app (I use Authomator).

The rest? Well, go nuts!

I just got the MR1 update on Wind Mobile Canada, and it seems a lot smoother and more polished than before.
    rayzian likes this.
    08-26-13 12:20 PM
    Install the latest 10.2 leak in my signature. Better battery and you get the toast notifications of 10.2
    08-26-13 12:22 PM
    First of all check the device! This app is very useful: Check out BlackBerry Virtual Expert in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/27226887

....... if is everything OK then update to the newest OS.

Have fun.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 12:23 PM
    I'm on VZW too.
    10.2 is awesome. It adds a whole new layer of functionality to the z10.

Even with data, it really isn't that bad installing the leak.

I would also recommend a screen protector & case. (Although many brave souls in here like to keep it naked)

Posted via CB10
    Maybe I should run the original OS for a while so I can really appreciate the changes in 10.2.
    08-26-13 12:24 PM
    Put the SIM card in?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Enjoy the phone, it's beautiful!
    08-26-13 12:37 PM
    Maybe I should run the original OS for a while so I can really appreciate the changes in 10.2.
    Sounds good. I agree with the previous poster too. Check all the functions on the device before installing the leak.
    08-26-13 12:37 PM
    I'd say go a day with the out of box OS just to let a feel for the phone but jump to 10.2 asap as it is really a beautiful thing.

Cannot wait to see what 10.3 has in store for us

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 12:55 PM
    10.2 all the way and get the latest android runtime...most of the side loads work now! a screen protector is a must and a BlackBerry transform hard shell should do the trick! Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 01:23 PM

I just got my Z10 as well and loving it more everyday. Typing is a joy, it's beautiful to look at and butter smooth. I personally chose not to update to 10.2 right away just in case the device has any issue out of the box. I'm going to do so this week if time allows. I'd say take your time to learn all you can about the Z10 and OS 10 (strengths weaknesses) and try different things like side loading apps and updating to 10.2 over time. No need to rush, let the love slow burn
    08-26-13 01:36 PM
    08-26-13 01:42 PM
    Learn how to sideload using "PlayBook App Manager" Chrome extention.
    http://m.crackberry.com/sideload-app...-google-chrome

There is an unlocked android runtime that will make "ANY" android app run on your Z10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...untime-842651/

Then when you are ready to download 10.2 which is easy. You just have to download the file and plug in your phone then click on the file.

I would advise you to do 10.2 first since it has a restoring problem 95% of the time. I just use "IntouchApp Contacts" to backup my contacts. I don't care about backing up my phone too much since I'm always installing leaks.

New Features in 10.2:
    - toast notifications (pop down IMs) probably the best thing
    - 4.2.2 android runtime if you want to be able to sideload any app you'll need it. P.S. That second link won't work on a 10.1 OS.
    - I find their are less issues on 10.2 then 10.1
    - 10.1 seems very unfinished to me
    - Lock screen notifications come in handy once in a while
    - all core apps are working out the kinks

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 01:57 PM
    I know you said you don't want to start off on 10.2 but trust me, it'll make your life much easier

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 01:58 PM
    I would install 10.2 immediately.

It just makes the Z10 that much better.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 02:04 PM
    First things first...get that CB10 app!!
    bluetroll likes this.
    08-26-13 02:04 PM
    First things first...get that CB10 app!!
    This guy knows what's up.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 02:15 PM
    10.2 all the way and get the latest android runtime...most of the side loads work now! a screen protector is a must and a BlackBerry transform hard shell should do the trick! Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    I always use a screen protector. Nice thing about buying this from Costco is that I get a free Transform Shell case as part of a rebate. Too bad it's black, but it should go fine with the white phone.
    bluetroll likes this.
    08-26-13 02:19 PM
    First, go buy a 64GB microSD card as long as you're waiting for you phone to arrive..

Then, open up the web browser and open up, like, 10 tabs, just because you can.

Then play with the awesome camera features and show your friends how great the time shift and HDR camera capabilities are.

Then go buy the spare battery/charging pack. This allows you not only to always have a fully charged battery on hand, but also a charging station on hand as well. And it's all in a slim package that can be used to quickly charge any microUSB device.

Then make sure you show it off and its awesome features to anyone you're able.

Cheers mate.
    08-26-13 02:21 PM
    Awesome man! Me too! Got one off-contract from a source at BB for 150 Clams! Get it Wednesday!

(No it isn't hot!)
    08-26-13 02:25 PM
    Open the box and turn it on.....wait don't forget screen protector.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 02:26 PM
    Learn how to sideload using "PlayBook App Manager" Chrome extention.
    Sideload Android apps to your BlackBerry 10 device using Google Chrome | CrackBerry.com

There is an unlocked android runtime that will make "ANY" android app run on your Z10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...untime-842651/

Then when you are ready to download 10.2 which is easy. You just have to download the file and plug in your phone then click on the file.

I would advise you to do 10.2 first since it has a restoring problem 95% of the time. I just use "IntouchApp Contacts" to backup my contacts. I don't care about backing up my phone too much since I'm always installing leaks.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I use the Google extension to sideload to my Playbook already.

Read about the new runtime today. Definitely gonna need to do that.

Already downloaded 10.2.0.1371

Thanks for the heads up on "IntouchApp Contacts"

Kevin
    08-26-13 02:29 PM
    Activate BB protect, so that when you forget that you brought it out with you on the porch and you can't find it before you go to sleep you can wake the dead from their graves with the noise it makes to help you find it not that I expect it will leave your side anytime soon... Love my Z10. I'm holding off on 10.2 until I get better at side-loading and read more about this back bar always on at the bottom business...
    08-26-13 02:31 PM
57 123