I'm using my Z10 for about week now and I'm quite happy with it although there where some doubts concerning the question whether BB will continue support for the Z10

A thing that annoys me a bit is the lower edge of the display. While being overly a great screen, mine shows a decrease of color quality and brightness towards the lower edge. There are also little shadows as if the LEDs that illuminate the screen are located there and shadow themselves at the very edge. It's barely or not at all noticeable with coloful screens but quite obvious with a white background. Is that normal or are the LEDs faultily shielded on my device? If you check you need a white background and concentrate on the lower edge of the display.

Thanks
    06-26-14 03:28 AM
    That's odd. My screen is perfectly fine. I have no problems with it whatsoever.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    06-26-14 04:26 AM
    Sounds like backlight bleed. I suggest to take it back and have it replaced/repaired under warranty. Its not a widely occurring BB10 issue as far as I am aware.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    06-26-14 04:33 AM
    Download Blackberry Virtual Expert (it may be included in newer versions of the OS). It contains a series of tests.

You can test colors and see if anything is suspect. As suggested, it bleed return it.
    06-26-14 09:11 AM
    Yes me to having same issue
    Left bottom of my screen

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 12:36 PM
    Are there any actual pictures of that phenomenon so I can compare them with my issue? I havent found anything via Google. Also Virtual Expert shows only blue, red and green screens but it is most noticeable against a white background.

It's not a mayor problem but I really can't help myself looking at it when reading text on the device. White also gets a light yellowness towards the left bottom of the screen. Like I said, it is barely noticeable for someone just playing around with it but to me, who is reading and writing on it all day it is quite obvious and annoying.

Also increasing brightness of the screen doesn't help. I usally run it at 0-20% to save battery...
    06-27-14 07:34 AM
    OK, I'm resurrecting this thread for little update.

I talked to Amazon and they just send me another device right away. That gave me the chance to compare them and I have to say that I'm a little shocked - the displays seem to variy by a great deal. The Display of the new Z10 has a severe yellowness, actually of the kind I criticised on the other one in the bottom corners but over the whole display. After a little search on Google I stumbled over this thread that seems to discuss a similar problem but almost 1,5 years ago.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...gested-766954/

Based upon the two Zs I have here it seems to be still an issue.

The one I got first shows a far better white but has these slightly yellow patches in the bottom corners. The other has this slight yellowness but has none of the little LED-shadows that I described for the first Z.
    If someone could tell me how to upload a photo here I could show you the difference - but the photos are pretty large (DSLR).

Should I just keep one of them or should I just return them both and get a third example? In the end there is always a little variance with these products but I'm not sure...
    07-02-14 10:04 AM
    Ok, sorry I didn't realise that you can embed a pictures so easily. So here is the first one which shows the difference in colour temprature. As you can see, the bar for the white balancing is almost at the exact same position on both phones, the brightness is turmed to the maximum on both devices. The left one is new, the right one I got first.

shadows on the lower display edge-p7021335.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P7021335.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	282330

Here is one where I tried to capture the yellow patches I mentioned on the screen of the first one ... quite hard to make out on camera though. I think you can still see them in the left and right corner.

shadows on the lower display edge-p7021345.jpg

And here is a last one showing the two screens next to each other again but with a different white balancing and shutter time on the camera I took these pictures with. The left one is the one I got today, the right one I got about 10 days ago. I'd say overall the right one is far better. The left one has a quite extreme yellowness allthough the bar is far on the colder side of the adjustable spectrum. None of them is perfect though...

Not quite sure what to do here. It may seems silly and pedantic but it really annoys me when readin an article or PDF on the phone...
    07-02-14 03:56 PM
    In addition to the camera shots, it would be immensely helpful if you could upload direct screen captures from both phones. (To capture a screen shot on a BB10 depress both volume rockers at the same time).

07-02-14 04:03 PM
    shadows on the lower display edge-p7021359.jpg

Here is the last one, something went wrong with the attachment.

What would a screenshot be good for? It only shows what is shown on a screen but not how it appears on the display (colour temprature etc...). I don't have a problem with faulty graphics or something. It really is the panel I think.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    07-02-14 04:07 PM
    Here is a screen shot of my Z10. Does it differ from your phone? Remember that my STL 100-1 does not have the ability to set colour balance.

shadows on the lower display edge-img_20140702_232205.png

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 04:25 PM
    In addition to the camera shots, it would be immensely helpful if you could upload direct screen captures from both phones. (To capture a screen shot on a BB10 depress both volume rockers at the same time).

That wouldn't help in the slightest..
    07-02-14 04:33 PM
    My reasoning is if it is a back light bleeding, the screen shot would appear normal, would it not?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 04:36 PM
    It looks the same but that doesn't really mean anything. If you make a screen shot it just shoes what the graphic unit put out but not how it appears on the display, dead pixels for example. I dont see an edge or anything that would devide the white on the screen capture you took from the white background of carckberry. Because the info says white and on the screen it appears as the same white as the background.

The pictures show a tremendous difference in how the panels display colours and seemingly they both have a problem with yellowness. The right one only in the bottom corners (which you don't see because of the command bar), the left one on the whole screen. I mean look at them. You can see that the adjustments are the same... still, nobody can tell me that these screens put out the same picture - colour-wise I mean.

Here is one

shadows on the lower display edge-img_20140702_233831.png

see, it looks exactly the same
    07-02-14 04:40 PM
    Yes, that's what I mean. If the screen shot is normal, it excludes the GPU as cause, leaving the screen/digitizer and backlight.

I remember with the initial iPhone 4 there were yellow spots but this time it was related to the adhesive used in the assembly process. Definitely not an issue here. My money is on backlight bleed.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 05:22 PM
    Doesn't backlight bleed mean that you see little, bighter areas because of faulty shielded LEDs? It doesn't really explain the yellowness IMO but I'm really not an expert. It looks like a problem with the panel to me...
    07-02-14 05:50 PM
    True that. Light leaking from edges interfering with the on-screen display. I've since moved over to my 21 inch and had a better look at the pictures. Not a typical screen bleed pattern as best as I can see. I have blown up the pictures as big as I could and the yellow tint is visible near the bottom. First time I've seen this. I have also searched the BlackBerry support forums for similar issues (nil found) You could run a little Android app from the Google Play Store (via Snap) to make sure if it does not detect anything. It is called Backlight Bleed test. Different color backgrounds can be selected via the app to test. Now you have 2 choices: send it back again and get a third unit (third time lucky) or simply live with the slight hue. I would go for the third time lucky option.
    Last edited by m1kr0; 07-02-14 at 06:54 PM.
    07-02-14 06:29 PM