Yesterday road workers in our street severed our broadband cable resulting in total loss of Internet, cable TV and land line phone. Mobile phone voice/data service not affected or interrupted. It was the work of barely 2 minutes to set up a Mobile Hotspot with password which was then seamlessly identified and joined by an up to the minute W10 Dell laptop and an ancient W7 Dell laptop. This 8 year old Z10 is unmatched for ease of use and transparent management. Just sayin'. (There was a coincidental W10 large update that was rather data-expensive but not ridiculously slow.)

Posted via CB10
    06-08-21 08:36 PM
    Yesterday road workers in our street severed our broadband cable resulting in total loss of Internet, cable TV and land line phone. Mobile phone voice/data service not affected or interrupted. It was the work of barely 2 minutes to set up a Mobile Hotspot with password which was then seamlessly identified and joined by an up to the minute W10 Dell laptop and an ancient W7 Dell laptop. This 8 year old Z10 is unmatched for ease of use and transparent management. Just sayin'. (There was a coincidental W10 large update that was rather data-expensive but not ridiculously slow.)

Posted via CB10
    Mobile Hotspot is a single tap on every device. The protocols haven't changed.
    06-08-21 08:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah depending on your carrier, LTE is plenty fast enough for most folks needs. In some situations 5G might not really be any faster - but others it can be blazing fast if your near one of those MM Towers.

One warning about Hotspot... some carrier's do have limits on data used on a Hot Spot. If you landlines are going to be down for awhile... might not want to be doing Windows updates. Is a setting in Windows to put it on "metered connections".
    06-09-21 08:11 AM
    Mobile Hotspot is a single tap on every device. The protocols haven't changed.
    Doing tasks like this on Android is a hassle. I think that's what the OP was saying. I agree and use both OS's.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-21 01:14 PM
    Doing tasks like this on Android is a hassle. I think that's what the OP was saying. I agree and use both OS's.

Posted via CB10
    How is it a hassle on Android? It's a simple toggle in the pull-down quick settings.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    06-09-21 01:35 PM
    How is it a hassle on Android? It's a simple toggle in the pull-down quick settings.
    [IMG=270x585]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210609/9f00f5ac8005e8ad06d36f1454520b45.jpg[/url]
    For turning it on and off yes, you'd have to configure the password etc before you could use it for the first time. But I still don't get what the big difference is between BB10 and Android.
    06-09-21 02:20 PM
    [IMG=270x585]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210609/9f00f5ac8005e8ad06d36f1454520b45.jpg[/url]
    It's not always that readily available. On my Samsung Note20u there is no pull down in the quick settings for this at all (carrier firmware), I need to click 4 times to get to it; however if I flash the North American unlocked firmware I get a shortcut in quick settings, go figure.
    06-09-21 02:25 PM
    It's not always that readily available. On my Samsung Note20u there is no pull down in the quick settings for this at all (carrier firmware), I need to click 4 times to get to it; however if I flash the North American unlocked firmware I get a shortcut in quick settings, go figure.
    Guess that's why I like to stick with pure Android - no overlays, skins, or bloat.
    06-09-21 02:30 PM
    Guess that's why I like to stick with pure Android - no overlays, skins, or bloat.
    No biggie, just need to be careful assuming things works the same on all Android phones as on "pure" (lol) Android. Even silly things like pull-down menus that carriers seem to fancy tampering with for no apparent reason except to frustrate their customers.
    06-09-21 02:47 PM
    On my Samsungs (S8, S9 and now S20 FE), I can add to and rearrange the pull down quick settings and put the hot spot button on the end of the top row of the first page. This on AT&T firmware.
    Setting up and using Mobile Hotspot-screenshot_20210609-145859_nova7.jpg
    06-09-21 03:00 PM
    On my Samsungs (S8, S9 and now S20 FE), I can add to and rearrange the pull down quick settings and put the hot spot button on the end of the top row of the first page. This on AT&T firmware.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210609-145859_Nova7.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	450853
    Different phones, different carriers, different firmware, different options...isn't Android fun?
    06-09-21 03:15 PM
    Different phones, different carriers, different firmware, different options...isn't Android fun?
    Are you sure your plan allows for Mobile Hotspot? I've heard of the toggle disappearing if not.
    06-09-21 03:18 PM
    Are you sure your plan allows for Mobile Hotspot? I've heard of the toggle disappearing if not.
    As I said in my post earlier I can get to it, I just need to click four times through menus to get there. I guess someone at my carrier had the bright idea to remove it from the quick menu, no idea why as it is fully supported by my plan.
    06-09-21 03:19 PM
    As I said in my post earlier I can get to it, I just need to click four times through menus to get there. I guess someone at my carrier had the bright idea to remove it from the quick menu, no idea why as it is fully supported by my plan.
    Are you sure you can't add it to the quick menu? I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't a way to add a shortcut to your home screen or something.
    06-09-21 04:14 PM
    Are you sure you can't add it to the quick menu? I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't a way to add a shortcut to your home screen or something.
    Nope, it's not there at all. It's annoying because it's one of the few quick menu items I would actually use regularly. Anyway, screw them - I got around it by taking advantage of a Bixby routine to turn it on when I need it, no buttons required. "Bloat" comes in handy sometimes.
    06-09-21 04:22 PM
    Nope, it's not there at all. It's annoying because it's one of the few quick menu items I would actually use regularly. Anyway, screw them - I got around it by taking advantage of a Bixby routine to turn it on when I need it, no buttons required. "Bloat" comes in handy sometimes.
    When you pulldown the quick settings shade, and then pull down again to get the whole page, there should be 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner. Tap that and there should be an Edit Buttons option.

I can't believe there's a carrier that would mess with a phone's UI more than AT&T. Who is your carrier?
    Setting up and using Mobile Hotspot-screenshot_20210609-163214_nova7.jpgSetting up and using Mobile Hotspot-screenshot_20210609-163218_nova7.jpg
    06-09-21 04:36 PM
    When you pulldown the quick settings shade, and then pull down again to get the whole page, there should be 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner. Tap that and there should be an Edit Buttons option.

I can't believe there's a carrier that would mess with a phone's UI more than AT&T. Who is your carrier?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210609-163214_Nova7.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	450854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210609-163218_Nova7.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	450855
    Yes, I am very familiar with the process. It's been removed by my carrier. In fact the only way I even knew it was an option on Samsung was after I put US unlocked firmware on it. I'm on Canadian firmware/ Telus, which is even more surprising because @conite has it on his Pixel, also Telus. I guess Google does have some sway over carriers after all lol.
    06-09-21 04:47 PM
    Yes, I am very familiar with the process. It's been removed by my carrier. In fact the only way I even knew it was an option on Samsung was after I put US unlocked firmware on it. I'm on Canadian firmware/ Telus, which is even more surprising because @conite has it on his Pixel. I guess Google does have some sway over carriers after all lol.
    Telus doesn't touch anyone's OS. My friends' Samsungs on the same carrier seem to have the option (just asked).
    06-09-21 04:50 PM
    Telus doesn't touch anyone's OS. My friends' Samsungs on the same carrier seem to have the option (just asked).
    Actually they do touch it. RCS on US firmware won't work either even thought it does work on Canadian firmware, but heck what do I know I've only been using Samsung phones for years...
    06-09-21 04:52 PM
    Actually they do touch it. RCS on US firmware won't work either even thought it does work on Canadian firmware, but heck what do I know I've only been using Samsung phones for years...
    So why do you not have Hotspot shortcut when others on Telus (stock OS) do?

RCS compatibility is not a UX/firmware issue. It's a provisioning/IMEI/SIM issue.
    06-09-21 05:13 PM
    So why do you not have Hotspot shortcut when others on Telus (stock OS) do?

RCS compatibility is not a UX/firmware issue. It's a provisioning/IMEI/SIM issue.
    No idea if your friend has any idea what he/she is taking about, I can only report what I have on my own device. All I can say is it's been that way for a couple of years on various Samsung devices I've used and it's related to the firmware.

As for the RCS issue, you obviously didn't read my post. If that were the case my RCS would be provisioned by my carrier no matter which firmware I was using. Unfortunately that doesn't happen in the real world. If you don't believe me, get a Samsung yourself, fire up Odin, and flash to US unlocked firmware and let me know how it works out for you.
    06-09-21 05:32 PM
    Eh, as "fun" as a slab can be
    06-09-21 06:03 PM
    Eh, as "fun" as a slab can be
    How is a PKB any more "fun" as I don't think of any typing as "fun" really.
    06-09-21 07:09 PM
    Pushing buttons is more satisfying than glass...and shortcuts and people's reaction to the device
    06-09-21 08:50 PM
    The few times I've fired up my Key²LE and typed on the pkb surprisingly I found having to push keyboard buttons mildly annoying. I've adapted just fine to my Pixel 4a vkb and being able to quickly type by tapping.
    06-10-21 05:21 AM
44 12