I am actually in the middle of a security wipe. It is taking FOREVER! It has been about 20 minutes just on the "Security Wipe In Process" screen, looking like it isn't doing anything, no indicators, progress, nothing. I was tempted to do a battery pull until I saw this.

Those who have had successful security wipes, how long does it take? Does yours show some sort of progress bar or something?
    Never mind, it just finished. Word of caution, don't get impatient and pull the battery! It may look like it is frozen or not making progress...just wait, it WILL finish eventually.
    b320 likes this.
    02-15-13 08:13 PM
    Thanks guys.

Just kept it on the charger and let is sit there...it eventually does the deed.
    02-15-13 08:15 PM
    yes, very carefully. don't wipe Z10
    I've wiped my phone twice and it's fine
    But is there a way we can reset the phone to factory settings.... or is it the same..?
    Security wipe on BlackBerry 10 is fine and it's officially supported. Please charge your device to full before you start your Security Wipe and keep your device on the charger during the wipe. If an issue develops, please open the KB article from BlackBerry posted by the OP and perform an OS reload.

It's also possible to perform a "Restore to Factory Settings" using BlackBerry Link. This is not as effective at ensuring your personal files are gone from the device but will achieve a device "reset." See BlackBerry Link documentation for details.
    02-15-13 08:15 PM
    Thanks guys.

Just kept it on the charger and let is sit there...it eventually does the deed.
    Sure thing! If I were you, I would still do an OS reload. That will make sure nothing else went wonky. Follow the instructions in the BlackBerry KB article posted by the OP.
    02-15-13 08:17 PM
    I recently read an article on CrackBerry about checking for updates on BlackBerry 10. Going into BlackBerry World and having to manually check for updates, so I did. I got notifications that I had a bunch of apps that needed to be updated i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Blackberry Maps, etc. So I decided to hit upgrade all. Once the process was done, I went to check the apps that were upgraded and to my surprise, BlackBerry Maps' icon changed to a blank very light triangle, square and circle. Being a BlackBerry user for many years now, I realized that this was never a good sign. I got home and right away tried to restore my phone to a earlier back up that I performed just two days ago. The backup was restored, and I noticed that now, several apps had the famous triangle, square and circle logo instead of the native logo that was attributed to them. Ok I said, I will simply perform a security wipe and all should be good. But no, after a first security wipe, my phone froze to a checking for upgrade upon re-installing the OS. Frustrated I tried resetting it by pulling out the battery. Finally I got through to my home screen on my BlackBerry and noticed that again, the BlackBerry Maps logo was a triangle, square and circle and did not want to open at all. I am currently performing my second security wipe, hopefully this time it will work or I will definitely have to bring this thing in. I am frustrating to say the less that I've given BlackBerry chance and chance again and yet I still have problems with the damn thing.
    02-15-13 09:47 PM
    Finally got a backup restored, and now I noticed that BlackBerry Maps is completely removed from my device... I don't know if I should bring it back and try and get a new Z10?
    02-15-13 10:35 PM
    Finally got a backup restored, and now I noticed that BlackBerry Maps is completely removed from my device... I don't know if I should bring it back and try and get a new Z10?
    I just read both of your posts. The second security wipe was unnecessary as it wasn't going to bring back your Maps app. Hold on for a few minutes as I'm going to look for and then post instructions that should work to put your device back in order.
    02-15-13 10:37 PM
    I just read both of your posts. The second security wipe was unnecessary as it wasn't going to bring back your Maps app. Hold on for a few minutes as I'm going to look for and then post instructions that should work to put your device back in order.
    Please charge your device using the regular charger to at least half capacity. While your device is charging, you can review the instructions here. While your device is not having the problems described below (keyboard freezes or not booting), performing an OS reload described below will resolve your app issues followed by a botched Security Wipe.

You will need a Windows PC with Firefox or Internet Explorer. After your device has a decent amount of charge, please reload using these instructions and let us know if you still have issues. Quoting from: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7982445

... I prefer these instructions: KB33480-BlackBerry 10 smartphone does not boot and displays a Phone with USB icon after an interrupted Security Wipe

There are also these that people also like: How to reload your BlackBerry 10 smartphone operating system | CrackBerry.com

Both involve essentially the same reload process. The instructions directly from BlackBerry also suggest trying performing an OS reload using BlackBerry Link if the earlier process fails. I second that ...
    02-15-13 10:45 PM
    Please charge your device using the regular charger to at least half capacity. While your device is charging, you can review the instructions here. While your device is not having the problems described below (keyboard freezes or not booting), performing an OS reload described below will resolve your app issues followed by a botched Security Wipe.

You will need a Windows PC with Firefox or Internet Explorer. After your device has a decent amount of charge, please reload using these instructions and let us know if you still have issues. Quoting from: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7982445

Cheers buddy, I will try this now and hopefully this will help
    02-15-13 10:49 PM
    This issue only happens when the security wipe process is interrupted.....so most people who do a security wipe will not have this issue. My battery died in the middle of the process, which is why it happened to me.
    Always connect the BlackBerry Z10 to a wall socket before performing a security wipe and/or software reload. To do otherwise is akin to setting out on a 500 km road-trip with a faulty car battery; you are tempting the universe to give you a spanking.
    02-15-13 10:56 PM
    Do NOT do a battery pull. DO keep your device on the charger during the wipe. Should the wipe fail, the OS reload process will ensure that your device is wiped AND that you have a fresh OS load.
    Never mind, it just finished. Word of caution, don't get impatient and pull the battery! It may look like it is frozen or not making progress...just wait, it WILL finish eventually.
    Cheers buddy, I will try this now and hopefully this will help
    I hope so too. Post back if it doesn't. During the "initial setup" again after the full OS reload, make sure you have your device on the charger when it asks you to do an OS update (again, this is during the setup after all the steps of the OS reload).
    02-15-13 10:56 PM
    Its like any computer device that relies on reloading software elements, if you power off a device mid way through this process you risk corrupting the data, or leaving it in a state that it cannot recover from, I have corrupted previous BlackBerry devices doing wipes, or even just pulling the battery without turning it off.

What it does suggest (to me at least) is that a wipe is in fact a much more intensive process than others, and its taking a wipe seriously and it really totally resetting the device rather than a quick reset of a few settings, a focus perhaps more on how secure that BlackBerry remain focused, especially as if you get things wrong (i.e. a person is trying to hack a stolen device) that no matter what they do if they try and by-pass something, then maybe it will not get them the data they are trying to get.

Nice that BlackBerry have acknowledged it, doesn't mean its a bug, but may mean they can put in place some additional checks, or processes to allow people to continue where it left off or provide tools (as are appearing) to reload a device.

The advice therefore should be similar to applying a firmware update.. do not wipe or upgrade any device that does not have battery or is plugged in.. take an iPhone, if you wish to upgrade firmware etc, if there is enough charge, it won't let you do it, or will warn you about it.
    02-15-13 10:59 PM
    User errors are not covered under most retail return policies. Am I the only person sick of the postings saying "my BlackBerry Z10 doesn't behave as I expect after I did something so I am returning it for a replacement"?
    02-15-13 11:00 PM
    b320, I am unable to find the "Check for updates" on the BlackBerry Software Updates page. I might be blind, but it is nowhere to be found...
    02-15-13 11:03 PM
    User errors are not covered under most retail return policies. Am I the only person sick of the postings saying "my BlackBerry Z10 doesn't behave as I expect after I did something so I am returning it for a replacement"?
    After I did something? I simply installed all of the upgrades that my BlackBerry World notified me of. This is not a "User error".
    02-15-13 11:06 PM
    Why do you guys put up with this stuff? When I buy a device I want it to work.
    02-15-13 11:17 PM
    b320, I am unable to find the "Check for updates" on the BlackBerry Software Updates page. I might be blind, but it is nowhere to be found...
    Which browser and browser are you using? If it's Chrome or Safari, please go back to the instructions.
    02-15-13 11:18 PM
    I always said that I would go down with the ship... I am currently regretting this, to be completely honest.
    02-15-13 11:19 PM
    Why do you guys put up with this stuff? When I buy a device I want it to work.
    Your post doesn't add anything to this troubleshooting instruction. The user pulled battery during a Security Wipe resulting in a need for OS reload. Please do not hijack this thread. Post your device feedback in one of the many existing threads on that subject or start a new one.
    Fuzz360 likes this.
    02-15-13 11:20 PM
    After I did something? I simply installed all of the upgrades that my BlackBerry World notified me of. This is not a "User error".
    No point to point fingers. Can we just get along so that PH1L's sad sad device can be restored to its former glory and we can all move on?
    02-15-13 11:22 PM
    Which browser and browser are you using? If it's Chrome or Safari, please go back to the instructions.
    OK, after all those fast replies, no reply yet. Please make sure you're using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox or a recent version of Internet Explorer. Must be on Windows. You will not see the "check for updates" button if you're not using a compatible browser. It simply won't show up, so there won't be anything for you try.
    02-15-13 11:28 PM
    b320, I am currently on my Macbook, going to bootcamp and restart this thing on Windows 8 and try it from there. Thanks for everything mate.

If everyone on this forum would be as helpful and nice as b320, this thing would be a better place
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-15-13 11:29 PM
    OK, after all those fast replies, no reply yet. Please make sure you're using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox or a recent version of Internet Explorer. Must be on Windows. You will not see the "check for updates" button if you're not using a compatible browser. It simply won't show up, so there won't be anything for you try.
    Are you saying that Mac users won't be able to check for updates unless they install a version of Windows??
    02-15-13 11:33 PM
    b320, I am currently on my Macbook, going to bootcamp and restart this thing on Windows 8 and try it from there. Thanks for everything mate.

If everyone on this forum would be as helpful and nice as b320, this thing would be a better place
    OK, great. Thanks for the kudos. Once you're in Windows 8, it will probably be worth it to load Firefox from getfirefox.com because IE in Windows 8 has compatibility issues and several other posters reported better experience doing the OS reload using Firefox.

EDIT: PH1L, any updates?
    Last edited by b320; 02-16-13 at 12:12 AM. Reason: request updates from PH1L
    02-15-13 11:36 PM
    Are you saying that Mac users won't be able to check for updates unless they install a version of Windows??
    Updates on BlackBerry 10 devices are delivered over-the-air. You do not need to install Windows to perform updates. We are dealing with a full OS reload repair procedure after a botched security wipe here.
    02-15-13 11:37 PM
103 1234 ...