Why do some applications ask permission for device information? The pin and all? Why do they need it? And is it safe to allow them to use it?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 09:50 PM
    Some developers do not seem to discriminate when setting up permissions and just throw them all in there. In some cases, you can deny one or more permissions and the apps will still work while in other cases, they all have to be enabled - up to developer.

Whether to trust is up to you and your instincts and maybe reading reviews in BBWorld and here on Crackberry to get a feel for the app or developer. But if it does not feel right - don't do it. And you can ask for a refund within a reasonable time if you purchased but don't like the Permission issues.
    02-11-14 10:17 PM
    Some developers do not seem to discriminate when setting up permissions and just throw them all in there. In some cases, you can deny one or more permissions and the apps will still work while in other cases, they all have to be enabled - up to developer.

Whether to trust is up to you and your instincts and maybe reading reviews in BBWorld and here on Crackberry to get a feel for the app or developer. But if it does not feel right - don't do it. And you can ask for a refund within a reasonable time if you purchased but don't like the Permission issues.
    Okay thanks!
    But y exactly do they need this information?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:19 PM
    Some like whatsapp or Viber they take your contacts and auto load it in the app to work. As they use mobile numbers. They need permission as well to access your camera and photos for you to be able to send your images. In other apps you it's ok not to share your pin and all because the app doesn't need it to work.

Posted via Q10
    02-11-14 10:23 PM
    Okay thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Varies from app to app
    The app Whine i.e. uses this to send error logs
    The app OpenWhatsApp used this to obtain the device IMEI to register with the WhatsApp servers
    It totally depends on what type of app it ia and what the developer needs for it to function

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:26 PM
    Okay thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Data mining, maybe sell it ....
    02-11-14 10:29 PM
    And what about allowing WhatsApp and others to use shared files? I know that WhatsApp is a reputed app but still can it access my pictures and see all the pictures? And maybe leak them?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 09:30 PM
    And what about allowing WhatsApp and others to use shared files? I know that WhatsApp is a reputed app but still can it access my pictures and see all the pictures? And maybe leak them?

Posted via CB10
    If you don't want to send/receive media you can try to run Whatsapp without shared folders permissions.

It's actually a shame that permissions are set on a high level. Would love to have more control. I could imagine a prompt that asks for permissions to read or write to a file/folder every time when the app want to do this. I would use it for some apps.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    02-14-14 10:54 PM