I know comparisons to any other platform are not right, but would anyone else like to see the ability to search your contacts and call from the home screen simply by starting to type brought into BB10? Could this be a part of 10.1 with the release of the Q10? Since you can already double swipe up and get the keyboard from anywhere would it be as simple as double swipe up brings you to search contacts? I know the search feature is available, but it could take a few steps out of the process for sure with the ability to just double swipe up and start typing and boom phone start to populate.

Then again maybe I just need to learn the new system...
    toutounjiomar likes this.
    04-15-13 01:53 PM
    Amazing idea!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 01:58 PM
    I haven't tried calling from the home screen, but when I click the magnifying glass on the home screen I can start searching for stuff and have no issues finding anything. Will have to try with contacts after work.

JB
    04-15-13 02:00 PM
    I heard the type and go feature on the Q will come to the Z in 10.1 it was said in one of BlackBerry's official video on the type and go...

but when I asked the BlackBerry rep at the CrackBerry party he said no...

He said we can do that by simply hitting the search option on the main screen... but that's not the same nor as efficient.

we shall see lol

I'd love to have the type and go feature on the Z

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 02:02 PM
    ^ continued...

also it would be good to get some actual functionality since we can pull up the keyboard on the home panels but while typing it doesn't do anything...

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 02:04 PM
    If you are talking about the Z10 with no physical keyboard...

I don't see a difference in:

1) swiping up from the bottom edge with two fingers if you are in an app to bring up the keyboard (the advantage might be one less step but the disadvantage is you need to use two hands)

Versus

2) swiping up with one finger from the bottom edge if you are in an app and clicking the magnify glass (the advantage is you can use one hand to do this but the "disadvantage" is that it's one extra step)

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 02:09 PM
    "Type and Go" I did not know this feature had a name. Several of us had 9700s in the office and when comparing to the droids in the house we called it the " cut the "stuff" I want to call the "guy" " feature. Glad to see it will be coming out though.
    04-15-13 03:45 PM
    To be honest, I feel the 2 finger gesture up to show keyboard is rather annoying. Same for closing the keyboard, holding the space bar is SLOW!

I wish it was just like a x2 swipe from bezzle to bring up keyboard or remove it...
    As to the OP's concerns, I agree, we should be able to do universal search, exact same feature from Q10 should be available for Z10. But in a business perspective, that is a selling point for Q10.

I know comparisons to any other platform are not right, but would anyone else like to see the ability to search your contacts and call from the home screen simply by starting to type brought into BB10? Could this be a part of 10.1 with the release of the Q10? Since you can already double swipe up and get the keyboard from anywhere would it be as simple as double swipe up brings you to search contacts? I know the search feature is available, but it could take a few steps out of the process for sure with the ability to just double swipe up and start typing and boom phone start to populate.

Then again maybe I just need to learn the new system...
    04-15-13 03:58 PM
    I assumed that the physical keyboard was a must to maintain its legacy base, but the capabilities of the two devices should/would remain the same. My z10 is the first touch screen device I have owned. The thought was better to evolve somewhat with a brand I am familiar with than be forced into a new platform should BBRY go the way of the buggy whip before I do.
    04-15-13 04:09 PM
    wake up phone > search > type name it open up the card then call...is it what you are talking about?
    04-15-13 04:28 PM
    Yes, on past devices you searched the phone number was pre-selected and you hit call.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 04:37 PM