I think BlackBerry is only insofar foolish as to make the encryption so dependent on the hardware. When I enable encryption on my Mac, I get a unique master password that allows me to decrypt the hard drive in case the encryption key is lost. Why BlackBerry 10 does not have something similar is indeed a bit weird. But at least we can be assured that the files are pretty much inaccessible without access to the phone on which the files were encrypted.
    Recently, I had my credit card compromised. I did a Credit Check and saved the results as a pdf file. Since I do not encrypt my sdcard, I placed the pdf into Internal Memory. The phone IS password protected. That way, if the phone disappears, that credit report is protected but not on my sd card. I try keeping generic files on the sd card that do not generally need protection.
    05-29-14 10:10 AM
    Recently, I had my credit card compromised. I did a Credit Check and saved the results as a pdf file. Since I do not encrypt my sdcard, I placed the pdf into Internal Memory. The phone IS password protected. That way, if the phone disappears, that credit report is protected but not on my sd card. I try keeping generic files on the sd card that do not generally need protection.
    That is a good idea. The thing is I have a 32 gb card and not so many generic files. I only save important stuff.

People, if you prefer to remain ignorant about how encrypted files work, follow this guy's suggestion; it's a good one. Don't encrypt your card, store anything sensitive in your password protected device's memory, and store innocuous things on your sd card. So many people just wing it, generally plan poorly, and then blame the manufacturer because something doesn't work the way they, in their cluelessness, imagined that it would.
    05-29-14 10:18 AM
    It depends on your usage I suppose. If I were to use an SD card, it would be as an extension to my internal storage. In that case, I would prefer encryption, since you can’t protect your SD card otherwise, as you said. If you regularly take out your SD card, then encryption is obviously not going to be an option.
    05-29-14 10:23 AM
    I find this story to be less believable than Sasquatch.

that's a good one... some people do believe in sasquatches...
    05-30-14 11:38 AM
29 12