Is this an good idea, has anyone done this on here. I'm thinking about doing it because I have many confidential documents on the sd card.

What are some things I should know if I'm going to do this.

Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 01:52 PM
    I have to do it by IT policy. The downside is that if you wipe or install a new OS by autoloader, you have to re encrypt the card, so it's not as simple as normally just taking out your card to keep your media on an upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 02:03 PM
    I have to do it by IT policy. The downside is that if you wipe or install a new OS by autoloader, you have to re encrypt the card, so it's not as simple as normally just taking out your card to keep your media on an upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    So if the phone had a problem and I had to reinstall the OS on it the card wouldn't work? Makes sense as you wouldn't want someone to be able to view the data if they took it out. Thanks for letting me know.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 02:06 PM
    I only encrypt my phone data, which is where I store confidential documents. The SD card is used for random photos and videos, personal documents, etc. If I need to switch phones quickly I want to be able to simply swap my card over.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    06-01-13 04:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    So mine is encrypted by policy at work as well. How do you decrypt and re-encrypt?
    06-01-13 05:07 PM
    So mine is encrypted by policy at work as well. How do you decrypt and re-encrypt?
    There is a option in the settings to decrypt

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 05:31 PM
    There is a option in the settings to decrypt

Posted via CB10
    Your policy probably won't let you do it. You have to wipe before you can, to remove the policy, but then it's too late - it can't be decrypted.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 05:34 PM
    Is this an good idea....

Posted via CB10
    It's a perennial problem with data security approaches. Firstly you have identified the need for data protection, the only question is how.

I think it is hilarious when BlackBerry say something like "our login passwords are harder to break than Apple" and similar nonsense. If all you have to do is pull out the SDcard and stick it into a slot on a PC to read it, then what value the password at all?

It is the same as house with 2 external doors and placing a lock on 1 of them. Is the house any more secure? Only if the crook is really dim or extremely lazy.

I don't think any mobile company has made a serious attempt at being a true business platfom (except of course for the one I started).

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 05:51 PM
    Your policy probably won't let you do it. You have to wipe before you can, to remove the policy, but then it's too late - it can't be decrypted.

Posted via CB10
    Ok so that means i can't install a leak then?
    06-01-13 07:37 PM
    Ok so that means i can't install a leak then?
    Back up your card first, then install the leak. You can then re encrypt the card after installing the leak and copy files back over to it.

It's silly really.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 08:01 PM
    Any downside of doing this? I read once that it is causing some issues on the z10 but I don't know if it is already fixed by the leaks.

Posted using The Z10
    06-01-13 08:06 PM
    Back up your card first, then install the leak. You can then re encrypt the card after installing the leak and copy files back over to it.

It's silly really.

Posted via CB10
    By backing up do you mean just copy everything to my computer? Will I be able to do that if the card is encrypted?
    06-01-13 08:12 PM
    By backing up do you mean just copy everything to my computer? Will I be able to do that if the card is encrypted?
    Yes. As long as you've entered your password into your phone it will decrypt the info and allow you to copy it.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 08:37 PM
    If I use Sachup, will I need to decrypt the sdcard?
    06-01-13 10:30 PM
    If u have sensitive info then do so.

If u want usb mass storage to work on 10.1 then don't.

Remember if u reinstall os you need to decrypt sd card first, if you do not then you will not be able to use again.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 11:04 PM

Remember if u reinstall os you need to decrypt sd card first, if you do not then you will not be able to use again.

Posted via CB10
    Good points. I think you mean won't be able to access the card contents. The card could be reformatted and used again, but the contents will most likely be destroyed.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 11:37 PM
    If the device sd card is encrypted Dow sit allow you ti send mms? I remember when I had it in my 9900, the pictures could not be viewed anywhere but the 9900.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 10:06 AM