I am a South African hoping to get my hands on the BlackBerry Z10, Vodacom the first SA carrier to offer the Z10 will launch it tomorrow. The contract deals are worse than iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy SIII yet SA is supposed to be an emerging market.

below are the contract deals by Vodacom.
    Screwed By Carrier-vodacom-z10-plans.jpg
    02-19-13 03:29 PM
    I am a South African hoping to get my hands on the BlackBerry Z10, Vodacom the first SA carrier to offer the Z10 will launch it tomorrow. The contract deals are worse than iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy SIII yet SA is supposed to be an emerging market.

below are the contract deals by Vodacom.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vodacom Z10 Plans.JPG 
Views:	407 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	136802
    What's the rate of exchange of the Rand to the US Dollar?
    02-19-13 03:38 PM
    1 South African Rand equals 0.11 US Dollar
    02-19-13 03:40 PM
    Just looked it up, which means Red VIP is US$225!!!!!!!!!!!

That is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-19-13 03:41 PM
    Well, one is a brand new device and the others are not. BBRY can influence the contract prices of carriers, but the carriers have freedom to price it how they want in the end.

It's odd that, there's only a deal for extra data with the 3G model, and not the LTE version. It's the LTE version's speed that could make it extra dangerous guzzling your data.
    Either way, remember that BB10 data consumption will be more similar to an iPhone as BB10 doesn't compress data the way the legacy BBOS devices did/do.

On a separate note, I noticed several South African apps (lots of news apps, iirc) added to BB World over the last couple days.
    02-19-13 03:43 PM
    Oh and by the way, welcome to CrackBerry!
    02-19-13 03:44 PM
    Well, one is a brand new device and the others are not. BBRY can influence the contract prices of carriers, but the carriers have freedom to price it how they want in the end.

It's odd that, there's only a deal for extra data with the 3G model, and not the LTE version. It's the LTE version's speed that could make it extra dangerous guzzling your data.
    Either way, remember that BB10 data consumption will be more similar to an iPhone as BB10 doesn't compress data the way the legacy BBOS devices did/do.

On a separate note, I noticed several South African apps (lots of news apps, iirc) added to BB World over the last couple days.
    Moving from my Curve 9320 on pre-pay and paying R59 ($7) per month for BIS to the lowest available deal which is R399 ($45) for 75mb will be such a rip off. We also pay R2 ($0.22) per mb, another rip of in our country.
    02-19-13 03:54 PM
    Oh and by the way, welcome to CrackBerry!
    Thank you, loving the threads. learning a lot about the phone.
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-19-13 03:56 PM
    Why does the phone you use effect the monthly price you pay?

I don't pay more or less per month for my home phone line depending on what phone I plug into the wall.

I don't pay more or less for my cable depending on what TV I use.

I don't pay more or less for my gas depending on what car I'm putting it into.

I don't pay more or less for my internet depending on what type of computer I use.

Billing based on handset instead of by usage is absurd.
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-19-13 04:05 PM
    Why does the phone you use effect the monthly price you pay?

I don't pay more or less per month for my home phone line depending on what phone I plug into the wall.

I don't pay more or less for my cable depending on what TV I use.

I don't pay more or less for my gas depending on what car I'm putting it into.

I don't pay more or less for my internet depending on what type of computer I use.

Billing based on handset instead of by usage is absurd.
    Your cable company isn't subsidizing your TV.
    02-19-13 04:10 PM
    Your cable company isn't subsidizing your TV.
    What does that have to do with it?

If I paid less for my TV by signing a contract that still wouldn't explain why my cable rate would be higher if I was using a Samsung TV than if I was using a Sony TV.

The subsidy effects the amount you pay for the DEVICE and the length of your contract and the amount of your cancellation fees. There is no justification for it to effect your monthly bill.

If I use 1,000 minutes and 1,000 texts and 1GB data I should be billed for that (or whatever exactly is included in my package). Billing me more or less because I happen to be using a Z10 or an iPhone 5 or a potato is ridiculous.
    Barljo likes this.
    02-19-13 04:15 PM
    wow over 200 for a month? that is a rip off
    02-19-13 04:17 PM
    It doesn't actually say anywhere here that the monthly service price varies between devices. Or did I miss that?
    It's not the easiest chart to read...
    02-19-13 04:25 PM
    It doesn't actually say anywhere here that the monthly service price varies between devices. Or did I miss that?
    It's not the easiest chart to read...
    Agreed it isn't but the chart is listing monthly plan pricing not hardware pricing, and he said it was more expensive the the iPhone pricing, so therefore the monthly plans are based on phone being used.
    02-19-13 04:28 PM
    Hoping to get a Z10 tomorrow at my local O2 - UK shop, the nearest equivalent plan I can see to the one I'll be going on is Red Premium, but I'll be paying the equivalent of 2,733 ZAR for the phone (then about 355 ZAR / month for the contract)

Having said that, I only see one price per plan in that chart, is that a one-off payment for the phone or monthly contract payment?
    02-19-13 04:30 PM
    Agreed it isn't but the chart is listing monthly plan pricing not hardware pricing, and he said it was more expensive the the iPhone pricing, so therefore the monthly plans are based on phone being used.
    Just seen this...seriously expensive
    02-19-13 04:35 PM
    That's why I was fighting for BIS but nearly no one cared. Heh

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 04:45 PM
    You may be right.
    I took at though like he was just stating the iPhone's purchase price with contract was lower than Z10's.
    02-19-13 04:46 PM
    That's why I was fighting for BIS but nearly no one cared. Heh

Posted via CB10
    Who were you fighting, and how?
    Or did you just mean... complaining about no BIS?

Anyway, what's done is done. We can't change this.

PS When you have a minute, remember to change your CB profile to indicate you have your new Z10. Still shows 9900.
    02-19-13 04:49 PM
    You may be right.
    I took at though like he was just stating the iPhone's purchase price with contract was lower than Z10's.
    Well when he said:
    The contract deals are worse than iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy SIII
    below are the contract deals
    He would have to mean the plans are worse or else his repeated use of the term "contract deals" doesn't make any sense.

OP how much less are the plans for iOS / Android?
    02-19-13 04:57 PM
    Who were you fighting, and how?
    Or did you just mean... complaining about no BIS?

Anyway, what's done is done. We can't change this.

PS When you have a minute, remember to change your CB profile to indicate you have your new Z10. Still shows 9900.
    Yes. All I did that I complained got nothing else to do in my hands.

Yes we can change what happened the BlackBerry 10 hardware supports the structure of the NOC they can include the ability to use BIS in an OS update

I will change my signature soon, probably this weekend when I have time to login to my PC.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 05:10 PM
    Hoping to get a Z10 tomorrow at my local O2 - UK shop, the nearest equivalent plan I can see to the one I'll be going on is Red Premium, but I'll be paying the equivalent of 2,733 ZAR for the phone (then about 355 ZAR / month for the contract)

Having said that, I only see one price per plan in that chart, is that a one-off payment for the phone or monthly contract payment?
    The prices listed are monthly contract payments
    02-19-13 07:10 PM
    The prices listed are monthly contract payments
    Ouch!!! On a 12 month contract that equates to about �1,400, almost 3 times what I could buy the phone outright for
    02-20-13 02:06 AM
    Ouch!!! On a 12 month contract that equates to about �1,400, almost 3 times what I could buy the phone outright for
    But if you did that you would still have to pay for 12 months of service on top of that. Buying the phone outright doesn't get you free service

Your monthly bill always adds up to more than the cost of the phone.
    02-20-13 02:24 AM
    But if you did that you would still have to pay for 12 months of service on top of that. Buying the phone outright doesn't get you free service

Your monthly bill always adds up to more than the cost of the phone.
    True, but based on my current sim only contract, what I need would only add �240 (just under 3,300 ZAR) to the years cost
    02-20-13 02:34 AM
28 12