Some people might had noticed when accessing the engineering screen a "Sanity Monitor". I was curious and I googled it and this is what i came up with

Software sanity monitor
    US 6665758 B1
    ABSTRACT
    Disclosed is a Software Sanity Monitor for automatically detecting and remedying software lock-up conditions without user intervention. Users often refer to these conditions as �hangs� or �forever loops�. Although the Software Sanity Monitor uses the operating software's information, it is designed to execute independent of the operating system software; thereby, eliminating reliance on a �sane� operating system. If a �hang� condition is detected, the Software Sanity Monitor will automatically restart the system after logging the failure and, optionally, notify the user or host system.

Could this be the "cause" of random reboots certain are experiencing? Basically the OS will hang and just reboot... I haven't experienced any random reboots on my Z10. Maybe someone could test it out.
    04-08-13 08:26 PM
    That sort of mechanism is not uncommon, though the usual name for such a monitor is usually something more like "watchdog timer".

The sanity monitor itself would not technically be the cause of the lockup/freeze/reboot - it is whatever the sanity monitor is monitoring that gets into a sub-optimal state, which then presumably results in the sanity monitor restarting the device.

If there were no sanity monitor/watchdog timer, the device in such a circumstance would most likely freeze, perhaps corrupt data, and then sit there with the screen frozen until the battery went dead.

So in reality, the sanity monitor is probably a good thing.
    04-12-13 06:36 PM
    Maybe that is why they hid it in the escreen so that no one plays with it and mess up their Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 08:12 PM
    Maybe that is why they hid it in the escreen so that no one plays with it and mess up their Z10.

I'm sure that's a key part of it.

I was hoping to use the escreen to generate some locally-visible logfiles so I could do my own troubleshooting on the restarts, but I haven't been able to locate the logs anywhere yet. I'm going to try a secure filesystem access trick posted by someone here to see if I can find them that way. If my carrier/BBRY won't solve the issue I may just have to take matters into my own hands...
    04-12-13 10:46 PM

I was hoping to use the escreen to generate some locally-visible logfiles so I could do my own troubleshooting on the restarts, but I haven't been able to locate the logs anywhere yet. I'm going to try a secure filesystem access trick posted by someone here to see if I can find them that way. If my carrier/BBRY won't solve the issue I may just have to take matters into my own hands...
    I am too afraid to play around in there... my thumbs shakes when I am in the escreen! let me know what you manage to do in there!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:46 PM
    I am too afraid to play around in there... my thumbs shakes when I am in the escreen! let me know what you manage to do in there!
    Actually what I'm thinking of doesn't involve the escreen directly. I just used the escreen to (supposedly) save logs to SDcard.

But I have to admit, they made that screen such an unnecessarily annoying and arcane PITA, no wonder people get shaky thumbs trying to navigate it.

Maybe that was their intent.
    04-13-13 12:05 AM

i think if you SSH into the device ([email protected] or whatever the IP is) you can access some logs with "slog2info -w"
    haven't tried it, but had read that in a few different places.
    04-13-13 12:08 AM
    Mmmm shakey thumbs

Omnomnomnomom

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 12:09 AM
    i think if you SSH into the device ([email protected] or whatever the IP is) you can access some logs with "slog2info -w"
    haven't tried it, but had read that in a few different places.
    Ah, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. What I was actually going to try was a little trick with the browser...

Mmmm shakey thumbs

Omnomnomnomom

I thought the zookeeper was supposed to have fed you already today.
    04-13-13 12:18 AM