Previous to my Z10 I had a 9900 which I had since November 2011 so I got pretty used to it and relied on it by a fair amount. One feature which I really do miss from BB7 is the Social Feeds app. I've asked BlackBerry via Twitter if they're going to be bringing it to BB10 but they didn't reply so I'm not quite sure as to what that means. I've now decided to stop relying on my 9900 and now need a decent RSS reader for my Z10. I've looked at what's available in BlackBerry World but nothing seems to look like it can fill the void of the RSS reader from Social Feeds so can any of you guys suggest an app that has similar features to that of Social Feeds?
    04-01-13 12:14 PM
    I use gnewsreader pro and am fairly happy.
    ruhban likes this.
    04-01-13 12:20 PM
    What's so good about it? Are there any useful features that make it stick out next to all of the other apps that are available?
    04-01-13 02:50 PM
    It is pretty fast in syncing and has a clean, easy interface. It actually loads faster than any RSS reader I have used. I have it linked up to Google Reader and I am perfectly happy with it. It offers mobilizer integration (insta, readability etc), sharing options from within the app and everything I need from it. Also it does apparently not consume a whole lot of data.
    04-01-13 03:00 PM
    What are notifications like?
    04-01-13 03:19 PM
    I just went through the entire list of RSS readers in BBworld, and couldn't find any "generic" RSS readers that looked any good.

There are tons of readers that require Google Reader (like gnewsreader), but that service is going offline shortly so that's a dead-end. (Even if I ever wanted to use it, which I don't, because it's just another way for Google to get their claws on more of my personal data I don't feel like giving them)
    04-01-13 03:31 PM
    News Republic is pretty good. An android port and a bit sluggish. But quite comprehensive and fairly customizable.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 03:35 PM
    I just went through the entire list of RSS readers in BBworld, and couldn't find any "generic" RSS readers that looked any good.

There are tons of readers that require Google Reader (like gnewsreader), but that service is going offline shortly so that's a dead-end. (Even if I ever wanted to use it, which I don't, because it's just another way for Google to get their claws on more of my personal data I don't feel like giving them)
    The best I could find is "RssReader".

It is basic and simple ........ just wish I could get a bigger font on the main screen. Other than that.... it just works.
    Last edited by duckduke; 04-01-13 at 09:50 PM.
    04-01-13 04:14 PM
    i suggest sideloading flipboard.

it works really well.
    04-01-13 04:15 PM
    I use "Daily the NewsReader". Nice simple interface, loads fast and displays my feeds the way I like.
    04-01-13 04:29 PM
    News Republic looks "curated", as in they are getting paid by the entities that they feature. Can you just put a raw RSS/Atom URL in there?

RSSreader might be worth checking out.

Couldn't find "Daily the Newsreader".

Re: flipboard - rather not install any more Android ports, most of the ones I've tried that are not really really simple things end up annoying me.
    04-01-13 07:23 PM
    Flipboard is awesome. I prefer native apps too but this one is worth it to sideload. There was talk of coordinating flash mob like attacks on developers via social networks to encourage development for BlackBerry 10. Of course Netflix was the first target but I would rather have Flipboard

via CB10 on ZED10
    Itstakenovermylife likes this.
    04-01-13 07:45 PM
    Has anyone tried this one?

BlackBerry World - News Spot
    04-01-13 09:36 PM
    Social feeds was great. I used it mainly for Craigslist feeds.
    Itstakenovermylife likes this.
    04-02-13 03:41 PM
    Flipboard is awesome. I prefer native apps too but this one is worth it to sideload. There was talk of coordinating flash mob like attacks on developers via social networks to encourage development for BlackBerry 10. Of course Netflix was the first target but I would rather have Flipboard

via CB10 on ZED10
    On your recommendation I went ahead and sideloaded Flipboard. Have to agree with you 100%. I've been using Taptu for awhile, which is similar in concept, but Flipboard is definitely better, IMO. And soooo much smoother and visually appealing.
    Last edited by Itstakenovermylife; 04-05-13 at 08:29 AM.
    Benjamin Black likes this.
    04-05-13 07:17 AM
    Since we're talking about Android apps, how about Feedly? I keep hearing about that one.

FWIW, I bought "News Spot". Missing some things, one bug I discovered, but some nice features and a lot of potential if the developer keeps improving it.
    04-05-13 10:01 AM
    I have also been looking for a good RSS reader and have tried several that I wasn't happy with for one reason or another. After reading this thread I browsed BB World again and just installed Taptu. This app is cool! After getting to know it and how to set it up the way I want it I'm loving it. I love the way the articles are displayed, the way you can group them the way you want, easy to add feeds and easy to open an article in the native browser to take advantage of the BB10 Reader feature. It seems to have all the bells and whistles I was looking for. It imported my feeds from Google but doesn't seem to be dependent on Google after the import. So far I love it.
    04-05-13 10:33 AM
    Found Sparse RSS app in BlackBerry World. Seems to work fine. Only thing I don't like is having to paste the feed url in. Social feeds had a menu button on the browser to add a feed from the page you're viewing.
    04-10-13 09:10 AM
    Found Sparse RSS app in BlackBerry World. Seems to work fine. Only thing I don't like is having to paste the feed url in. Social feeds had a menu button on the browser to add a feed from the page you're viewing.
    None of the native apps right now seem very exciting. I certainly didn't mind paying a paltry $2 for News Spot, but it's underwhelming on a variety of levels.

It can 'search' for feeds but I prefer to import my existing ones exactly the way I have them working elsewhere. (in this particular case, on my Android tablet)

But it doesn't support import or export, and there's a bug in the manual URL configuration where if it doesn't end in a 'dot', it won't recognize it. So every time I need to add a feed via URL, I have to append a dot to the end of the URL, then remove the dot, in order for it to allow me to subscribe to it.

Plus it's way too simplistic from a reading standpoint as well. I will probably limp along with it until I find something better that's native.

The last thing I want to do is have to install a bunch of proprietary apps for every single news source. (One exception is AFP, which pulled all their RSS feeds, so their proprietary app is the only remotely useful way to read their content on the Z10. But it's a sluggish app, and there is no way to share a link from the app so if you want a friend to read something of theirs, they make it basically a PITA. For that reason I may remove that one as well.)
    04-10-13 01:21 PM
    I used xprss on my bold 9930.... I certainly miss it....

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:22 PM