I have owned the Z10 for a week. I'm really liking it but something is frustrating me.

I have the name and number call display service that Rogers and Fido offer (it goes back to the CRTC forcing Microcell to have name display when they were first created and Rogers/Fido and me benefiting from it).

Anyhow, I receive many calls from clients, many of whom I don't know before they first call, and I wanted to have name display to make it easier for me to associate who's calling with their number. The caller list is great because I see the name and number of the person who called and I didn't have to enter anyone into my contact list for the name to show up. I realize that most wireless providers have number display only but there are still those that offer name display as well.

The problem for me starts when I want to simply add the caller in the call list to my contacts. Only the number gets added to the contact and I have to manually type the name of the contact when the Z10 could have simply inserted that information for me using the entry in the call list that it copied the number from.

How do I get BlackBerry to make this functionality work as I think it should?

I have no problem if the "name" from the call list gets added to the contact as a "Nickname". I assume that the OS wouldn't know what part of the callerid name is the first name or the last name. I'm just tired of manually typing the name into the new contact when it should already know that information. Why do I need to type something that is already there in the call list?

I had LinkedIn in the Hub but removed it when I saw how all the contacts suddenly cluttered my contact list.

I'm still learning the Z10 but I'm very happy so far.

Marc
    04-11-13 11:27 AM
    Are there any CrackBerry Z10 experts who might know the solution to this problem or who could forward my issue to a relevant person within BlackBerry to get an answer?

I hope someone can help me out.

Marc
    04-12-13 07:54 AM
    Can anyone give me the name of someone at BlackBerry that I can direct my question to?

Surely it can't be difficult to make BB10 take a name and number from your caller list and add it to your contact list without having to retype the name. Is it possible that BlackBerry is unaware that Rogers and Fido offer name display?

Thanks,

Marc
    04-12-13 03:50 PM
    Did you try calling Rogers/Fido?
    If you use twitter message @blackberryhelp

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    04-12-13 04:01 PM
    I contacted both Rogers and Fido multiple times. All they say is that the phone wasn't designed to add the name and number from the caller list. In fact, they go as far as saying that no phone will add the name automatically.

I find it very hard to believe that BlackBerry could miss something like this. I realize that Rogers and Fido are the exception in offering name display but BlackBerry should be aware of this service otherwise the phone would not be able to show the name as it's being provided from the caller.

I was hoping that someone from the CrackBerry team could use their close relationship with BlackBerry's management personnel to ask the question. I just don't know how something like this could have been missed.

Thanks for the tip regarding twitter. I'll check it out.

Marc
    04-12-13 05:08 PM
    were you able to do it with other devices?

remember that is a feature of the carrier not of BB. so BB making the programming for it, for just one carrier is a hard bargain... no financial benefit in it at all... you might be on your own with this one...
    04-12-13 05:30 PM
    It's just a variable that needs to be copied from the caller list to the contact list, just like the phone number is done now.

Surely BlackBerry can add the few lines of code to make this happen.

I guess I didn't expect such a simple thing to be overlooked.

Marc
    04-12-13 06:37 PM
    I would not want that at all - problem is sometimes it comes as a company name and sometimes as the personal name. The OS would never figure out the difference, because the caller ID is always transmitted as a single variable, where the personal name or company both come in using the same variable, not two different variables. So that wouldn't work, now.

2nd, very often, caller ID's come in somewhat messy at times...and the device would in these cases, not be able to identify 1st and last names...etc...

Other times, I may not want to store the names in the contact list the way they come in...for example, I'm on my own VoIP server and I program my own caller ID...which I setup as "D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.?". So how would one store that in the contact list exactly? It's obviously not my real name...and I can think of many other examples like this.

For all of these reasons, phone manufacturers can't make this happen. There are really no set rules for caller ID in the telco's that would allow successful population of the caller ID data into the contact list. But you can certainly ask BlackBerry to do this, albeit it won't fly.

I don't believe it's a reason to get so upset over this though...

In my opinion FWIW, I don't think BlackBerry missed anything here...
    04-12-13 07:06 PM
    I appreciate your point Steve. In my original post I indicated that I didn't mind if the caller name got automatically added to a "Nickname" field that I could edit if things didn't look right but for the most part, callers using their home phones (which most of my clients are), their names come in with a standard format.

Nonetheless, I understand your point and, although I don't think BlackBerry missed much with the Z10 and BB10, I do think they should have added that feature for those of us who have name display. It wouldn't affect anyone who only has number display but I waited a long time before moving to Rogers so I could get the name display service with the new Z10.

Hopefully BlackBerry will add this functionality.

Marc
    04-13-13 09:22 AM