First, let me state that I am a fanatical diehard physical qwerty keyboard guy. I think the Bolds, especially the9930/9900, are the pinnacle of the ultimate KBs and have even posted here and elsewhere that I would be passing on the Z10 and may even pass on the Q10 based on what I've seen of it, willing to stay with my 9930 as long as I can. My phone is primarily for work first, personal use second and no touchscreen I've tried has convinced me I can be as productive nor as efficient as I am on my 9930. I humbly state that I can shoot off a text or email almost as quick, if not quicker, one handed, as most can two handed on their VKs. I've practiced quite a bit on the iPhones we used to have in the house, as well as the android devices our semi-permanent house guest is constantly upgrading to every three months. Still not impressed nor convinced, until today.

I was in WalMart, of all places, this evening and in passing the electronics dept. I saw a BB Z10 sign. Now I don't normally frequent WalMart, nor consider it a phone Mecca, and was surprised to see a Z10 sign there at all. I walked over to check it out and saw a Z10 phone dummy on display and thought "well that sucks". Then I noticed a guy and two girls a few feet away holding what appeared to be a Z10, playing on it and all talking at once. I watched for a few minutes and asked where they got it. One of the girls said the counter guy got it out for them. I actually had to wait more than 10mins for them to get through before I got it from them, but actually learned a lot watching. I'm serious, within a few minutes I was typing on it faster and with fewer typos than any other VK I've tried, and not discounting Kevin's comments on how well he adapted to the Z10 KB, I was still not convinced until then. So many things I was impressed with in the UI but I was especially blown away with the KB. I hate VKs! Or did.

Now I'm not sure about waiting for the Q10 anymore. I'm rethinking this Z10 and may have regrets if I don't spend some more time on it. Believe me, if I of all people can be swayed by a VK, then anyone with VK experience should fall in love with this one. I'll be spending more time in WalMart now, at least until Verizon gets theirs in.
    03-26-13 01:11 AM
    Hated touchscreen keyboards till the Z10. I moved from my Bold 9900 I prematurely declared that I was going to wait for the Q10 because I thought the Z10 would be like all other rubbish touchscreen keyboards out there. I was proven wrong the moment I had a go on the Z10. I can type faster on this than I could ever do on my Bold 9900.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 01:17 AM
    I had the exact same mindset as you. I would not give up my physical keyboard. Then I took the jump, the leap of faith because I wanted SOMETHING running bb10 (no pb doesn't count). I figured hey if it doesn't work out I can sell it and get a Q10 because of the keyboard. Man was i wrong. This thing is amazing. This keyboard you can just start typing away on the screen and then bam its like it knows exactly what you want to say. I tell you sir, you will not be disappointed nor will you want to go back to your qwerty.

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    03-26-13 01:18 AM
    I have to admit that I too was going to wait for the Q10 but just couldn't. I am (or was) a die hard for the KB and thought after I bought it and used it February 5th, wasn't too sure I made the right choice as I missed having the KB. However, after even a day of use it really is a fantastic VK.

I have absolutely NO intention now of looking to get the Q10. BlackBerry has outdone themselves with this VK.

Good luck with your decision! I think either way you won't be disappointed...it's still a BlackBerry and BB10 is a solid platform!
    rotorwrench and rcsgolf like this.
    03-26-13 01:21 AM
    I haven't counted the Q10 out, as it has a lot going for it. The problem is the adaptability of someone like me to the Z10 VKB has thrown a wrench into my gameplan, and I don't like rearranging my long term schedule
    jafobabe and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-26-13 09:56 AM
    More importantly, the Z10 doesn't make my thumbs sore!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    robkd likes this.
    03-26-13 11:30 AM
    It gets better as well. Just wait until you have been typing away and using the Z10 for a month.

Posted via CB10
    rcsgolf likes this.
    03-26-13 11:36 AM
    I was sure that I wanted the Q10, but I love touching the Z10. As I have stated many times, I am conflicted...and impatient.

Truth be told, if it weren't for the better battery life with the Q10, I would have a Z10 already.
    03-26-13 11:39 AM
    OP, same thing happened to me. Once I tried the VK on the Z10, it was game over..... I had to have one. The fact I could type faster then on my 9810 hard keys and had more screen space then the Q10 will offer made it a no-brainer for me.

Secret is don't look, just type ...... as fast as you can. It like magic!
    03-26-13 11:44 AM
    You should at least try it. You can return your phone within a certain amount of days (check with your carrier). I love physical keyboards but really the Z10 touch is not like any other. Half the time I am just swiping words up, and it learns more words and the style of your typing quickly. The first day I was stumbling all over the keys because I wasn't used to it, but it has been 3 days today and I am doing far much better.
    03-26-13 11:47 AM
    We just need keyboard shortcuts.. Come on blackberry.. Just add keyboard shortcuts!
    Since we can actually pull out keyboard in any screen, why not add them, even speed dialing, etc..
    03-26-13 12:42 PM
    I did the same thing. When the Z10 came out, I didn't want to wait another month for the Q. So I bought it figuring I could return it if it didn't pan out. Needless to say, it's not going back. It's a beauty.
    ddlax22 and rotorwrench like this.
    03-26-13 12:46 PM
    I was a die hard physical keyboard guy too. I was pretty convinced that I'd wait for the Q10. However, I had recently purchased a Samsung GS3 and had to use a virtual keyboard on it. You get used to it after while. Anyway, this passed Friday I walked into an AT&T store to check out the Z10. Well, to make a long story short, I returned the Samsung phone and left with the Z10. Of all the things this phone has to offer, it was the virtual keyboard that really blew me away. It is so easy to use and the swiping of words is such a plus. I doubt that I'll ever go back to a physical keyboard after experiencing the Z10.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    03-26-13 12:52 PM
    I am still having trouble getting the hang of the keyboard but I'm slowly getting better. It is without a doubt the best touch keyboard I've ever used.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 01:27 PM
    Well the virtual keyboard sure seems to be a hit...
    03-26-13 02:20 PM
    Of course it's a "hit" - it is the only new BB out.
    Some people still want a physical keyboard - and the Q10 will be the right phone for them.
    03-26-13 02:26 PM
    First, let me state that I am a fanatical diehard physical qwerty keyboard guy.
    One of my best friends is a longtime Blackberry user, last keyboard model was the Bold 9700. He was unhappy overall with the phone (restarts, battery pulls and described the browser as 'unusable'). He got the Z10 in early March and asked him about a week ago how he felt about the Z10. Loves it, and says that after a week of constant use he thinks he's faster on the Z10. And let me tell you , he used that keyboard a lot... I was surprised when he got the Z10, actually, but he seems really pleased. Cheers.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    03-26-13 02:37 PM
    Roto, I was the same as most of the folks posting here. I decided I was going to give the Z10 a shot right about when I learned the Q10 wouldn't have a trackpad, and reading the tales of CB Kevin et al about the Z10 keyboard. Four days later I'm still adjusting to it, but steadily improving every day. It really does get better the more you use it. And the finger flipping word substitution is the cat's a$$. If you think you can bang out texts fast now, imagine when you have a whole phone's worth of dictionary working for you just a flick away.

Posted via CB10
    jafobabe and rotorwrench like this.
    03-26-13 02:40 PM
    I was a die hard physical keyboard guy too. I was pretty convinced that I'd wait for the Q10. However, I had recently purchased a Samsung GS3 and had to use a virtual keyboard on it. You get used to it after while. Anyway, this passed Friday I walked into an AT&T store to check out the Z10. Well, to make a long story short, I returned the Samsung phone and left with the Z10. Of all the things this phone has to offer, it was the virtual keyboard that really blew me away. It is so easy to use and the swiping of words is such a plus. I doubt that I'll ever go back to a physical keyboard after experiencing the Z10.
    Yeah, it was the keyboard mainly, and the integrated inbox / Hub that sold me too. I was iPhone prior to that - 3G/4S... Night and day. The keyboard on BB10 is based on an Android App SDK, SwiftKeyPro, excellent program. And I love what Blackberry has added to it.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    03-26-13 02:41 PM
    Roto, I was the same as most of the folks posting here. I decided I was going to give the Z10 a shot right about when I learned the Q10 wouldn't have a trackpad, and reading the tales of CB Kevin et al about the Z10 keyboard. Four days later I'm still adjusting to it, but steadily improving every day. It really does get better the more you use it. And the finger flipping word substitution is the cat's a$$. If you think you can bang out texts fast now, imagine when you have a whole phone's worth of dictionary working for you just a flick away.

Posted via CB10
    You gotta train it! I compare it to a 'virtual pet' that I feed every day... Heh.
    03-26-13 02:42 PM
    You guys really aren't helping matters. I really want to like the Q better but more screen real estate and that KB, not to mention least of all the comments here, are screwing with my head. I feel like I'm being traitorous to the physical KB brotherhood Headed to WalMart now for some more time on the darn thing.
    03-26-13 08:26 PM
    You guys really aren't helping matters. I really want to like the Q better but more screen real estate and that KB, not to mention least of all the comments here, are screwing with my head. I feel like I'm being traitorous to the physical KB brotherhood Headed to WalMart now for some more time on the darn thing.
    Come to the dark side rotorwrench!
    Hahahaha.

I was also a die hard keyboard fan. I even had to get a keyboard for my PlayBook, but I wanted to try out the larger screen and I felt that bb10 was optimized for a touch screen experience. Got mine on Feb 13 and there's no going back. I type so fast on this keyboard I can outrun my thoughts. Lol.

Seriously though, the other day I was typing so fast the little clicks were just coming in a steady stream and my husband was staring at me in awe. At least, I think it was awe. Might have been Fear. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 09:00 PM
    One of my best friends is a longtime Blackberry user, last keyboard model was the Bold 9700. He was unhappy overall with the phone (restarts, battery pulls and described the browser as 'unusable'). He got the Z10 in early March and asked him about a week ago how he felt about the Z10. Loves it, and says that after a week of constant use he thinks he's faster on the Z10. And let me tell you , he used that keyboard a lot... I was surprised when he got the Z10, actually, but he seems really pleased. Cheers.
    I love my 9700, I do not have a lot of crapware so I rarely have to do a battery pull, usually it is the apps that mess up, sometimes weird voltage chargers do that doo.. Anyway, i am not sure how he is faster on Z10, I am very sure that it will be slower for me, because I file my e-mails all the time, everything is filed, now with Z10 that is impossible, at least impossible at the speed I am filing now. I type the folder name and there it goes into that folder, BB always picks the related folder next time a similar e-mail comes in, then I don't have to type. With over 100 folders, it will be pain for me to scroll and pick a folder every time I need to file an e-mail. I just wish we could use keyboard when we were filing the e-mails. Can someone try it? Go to folder and then pull out the keyboard (two finger slide from bottom) can you type folder name?
    03-26-13 10:00 PM
    Coming from a 9780 as a qwerty die hard and hating virtual keyboards like the iphone ipod touch the keyboard on the z10 is a breathe of fresh air.

I was hesitant because the iphone ipad keyboards would always have me spending a lot of time correcting my sentences.

The adaptive keyboard with heat sync on the z10 is amazing. The autocorrect and swipe features are excellent as well. It really is the best keyboard on a mobile phone. I tried my friends note 2 a few times and always found myself searching for keys. Sticking with my z10 keyboard and extra screen real estate and not going back.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    sleepngbear and rotorwrench like this.
    03-26-13 10:10 PM
    While I do love the virtual KB on the Z10, the thing that irks me is that I still haven't gotten comfortable typing without looking at what I'm typing. Granted, it's only been a week, but I haven't noticed any improvement in that area. It is far, far more accurate than any virtual KB i've used though, it's the first that hasn't annoyed me in about ten minutes.

Which I never thought was possible.
    03-26-13 10:10 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD