02-02-14 04:23 PM
446 ... 15161718
tools
    OK so apparently it was a server that was providing calibration information to the phones that was causing the problem

Posted via CB10
    Obviously, BB did something. I want to know what they do and what they control.

But really, ALL of the sensors are controlled remotely? Is data immediately transmitted to BB, they know my magnetic closure is in place or not in place? My face is near the screen or not near the screen? My device is in portrait or landscape and then transmits back to my device to react?

Can they do what I see in "Person of Interest" and turn on my microphone remotely anytime they want? What about the camera? I am somewhat serious - what the heck to they control and when?
    12-04-13 09:25 AM
    Obviously, BB did something. I want to know what they do and what they control.

But really, ALL of the sensors are controlled remotely? Is data immediately transmitted to BB, they know my magnetic closure is in place or not in place? My face is near the screen or not near the screen? My device is in portrait or landscape and then transmits back to my device to react?

Can they do what I see in "Person of Interest" and turn on my microphone remotely anytime they want? What about the camera? I am somewhat serious - what the heck to they control and when?
    This is truly an uncomfortable surprise. We need some clarifications from BB. Why does sensor functionality on a handset need to communicate with a remote server for calibration? How does the feature work if there is no SIM card, and there is no WiFi either, basically in zero-connectivity situation? Through some kind of "always open" back channel?
    12-04-13 09:31 AM
    This can be very tricky to find, as it can be a chained event as in
    GPS location? < Current time ? < Time Zone ? < Country ?
    The more I think of it, the more I believe it's time related (not a time bomb, btw).

All of this (except perma connex.) is 100% speculative, of course.
    I agree. I know the exact time mine started. It was about 9:45pm EST. I was trying to watch MNF and the screen switched from landscape to portrait on me and would not change back.

Also, if BB servers can "accidentally" disable the sensors on my phone, can't they also turn on sensors like the camera and microphone?
    12-04-13 09:31 AM
    Why do I have a feeling this is related to BBM users using the latest version of BBM with Channels?

...And has anyone noticed that you can't type landscape when BBM'ing in the actual BBM app? But possible to type landscape from the Hub? You'd think you could type landscape with all native messaging services.

Can any of this be related?

Posted via CB10
    That's not new. If you want to type in landscape, go to BBM via the hub for now.
    12-04-13 09:37 AM
    I agree. I know the exact time mine started. It was about 9:45pm EST. I was trying to watch MNF and the screen switched from landscape to portrait on me and would not change back.

Also, if BB servers can "accidentally" disable the sensors on my phone, can't they also turn on sensors like the camera and microphone?
    Ha Ha, you should see some of the stuff we can do in the Enterprise.
    12-04-13 09:38 AM
    Final words :
    Yesterday's sensor issue was due to corrupt server data | CrackBerry.com

A server that provides sensor calibration information to the phone was sending corrupt data that would affect the sensors on the phone. The issue was resolved at the server. Customers that are affected can simply restart their phone to resolve the problem.
    edit: sorry, I'm sooo late in the party.
    OK so apparently it was a server that was providing calibration information to the phones that was causing the problem
    Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 09:56 AM
    No.
    They (BlackBerry) didn't turn it on/off in any way. See above

edit :
    Ha Ha, you should see some of the stuff we can do in the Enterprise.
    Doubtful how far "you" can go but anyhow 100% illegal here (I mean spying with cam/mic or even location tracking if the user isn't aware of it and acknowledged)...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-04-13 at 10:10 AM.
    12-04-13 09:57 AM
    Doubtful how far "you" can go but anyhow 100% illegal here (I mean spying with cam/mic or even location tracking if the user isn't aware of it and acknowledged)...
    Oh the possibilities are endless, once you consent to monitoring, it's game over. Fortunately we're honest people with a job to do.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-04-13 10:36 AM
    I did everything trick in the book and I'm still have the same issue, the sensor work random, the only change i did was update to the latest os 10.2.0.429 about 2 weeks ago and last Tuesday my sensors stop working and still not working!! I have call my carrier to see if they could help and they didn't have any idea and their solution was to send it in for repairs to Blackberry and it could take 3 weeks!!! Great customer service from both BB and rogers!! Did anybody from Blackberry actually look into this issue?
    12-04-13 11:41 AM
    No.
    They (BlackBerry) didn't turn it on/off in any way. See above

edit :

There are more agency's monitoring our phones than I care to mention. It's amazing we can even use our devices.
    FF22 and kbz1960 like this.
    12-04-13 11:54 AM
    There are more agency's monitoring our phones than I care to mention. It's amazing we can even use our devices.
    Well the whole world wanted smart devices and there you have it.

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    12-04-13 02:54 PM
    If I were so worried about being spied on, tracked, followed and such I would not own a smart phone, computer or any other electronic devices and would most certainly not be complaining about it in a public forum.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-04-13 03:21 PM
    I did everything trick in the book and I'm still have the same issue, the sensor work random, the only change i did was update to the latest os 10.2.0.429 about 2 weeks ago and last Tuesday my sensors stop working and still not working!! I have call my carrier to see if they could help and they didn't have any idea and their solution was to send it in for repairs to Blackberry and it could take 3 weeks!!! Great customer service from both BB and rogers!! Did anybody from Blackberry actually look into this issue?
    Which specific sensors have the problem? Orientation which is Portrait or Landscape? The Proximity sensor which detects if the phone is near your face or moved away? The screen darkening/lightening?

Try a restart:

Press and HOLD both Vol Up/Down buttons. Keep holding while the screen goes fully black, keep holding through the Black/White logo and when the Colored Logo shows up, release those buttons.

If you have the STL100-1 variant the volume button reset method doesn't work. In that case, Press and HOLD the Power On Button until you see the LOGO as above

Which OS do you have loaded?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-04-13 04:01 PM
    I am not an expert with smartphone sensors, but one example of sensor calibration is the GPS: ever noticed how face the GPS gets a fix? BlackBerry servers would send data to the phone based to satellite positions and wifi triangulation to help get a fix.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 05:01 PM
    I am not an expert with smartphone sensors, but one example of sensor calibration is the GPS: ever noticed how face the GPS gets a fix? BlackBerry servers would send data to the phone based to satellite positions and wifi triangulation to help get a fix.

Posted via CB10
    No. You get a quick potion without data in Osmand too.
    The reason it is a lot better is that the Z10 also supports Glosnas and not only GPS.
    Newer better and more accurate .
    (And Galileo should be better still once it's done.)

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 03:00 AM
    Did anybody from Blackberry actually look into this issue?
    As you can see by the title of the thread, BBerry did "solve" the issue (unclear how, but remotely) only requiring a reboot.
    12-05-13 03:39 AM
    Huh, weird. The same issues just happened again to my Z10. The BlackBerry Virtual Expert app is saying that the sensors aren't supported again. All I did was turn off the screen then back on. I noticed that the screen went to full brightness. Weird. I'll try a restart soon (I'm downloading Real Racer 3 so I don't want to have to restart the inapp download).

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 04:53 AM
    proximity and brightness sensors are not working again...
    12-07-13 05:57 AM
    proximity and brightness sensors are not working again...
    As far as I know, the workarounds helped everyone or almost everyone. Before reporting that yours aren't working again, I suggest disabling data (wifi and cell) and rebooting, then checking again. If the problem vanishes, and then when you re-enable data the problem returns after a short while, then you've got the same thing again.

Otherwise... could be something else.
    12-07-13 10:19 AM
    Sensor issue is back :-(!

Sent from z10 in Sweden

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 11:26 AM
    Same here on z10 with 10.2.0.429

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 11:48 AM
    How did you resolve the issue?

My Z10 had this problem at the beginning of December and was due to a server at BlackBerry sending corrupt data out to calibrate the sensors, sorted the following day...however about an hour ago it is back again!

Posted via CB10
    ndorazio likes this.
    12-18-13 12:35 PM
    Ahaha. It is back!!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 12:42 PM
    Yes it is...one guy on a different thread about it is on the phone with support since over an hour and a half and they tell him it isn't them. Pathetic...

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 01:17 PM
    Seems to do it when gps is used, for example in bb weather app. Restart worked, until I started the app en gps info was required

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 01:18 PM
446 ... 15161718