This phone was suppose to be all that was not with iPones, I guess better battery life was not included! This one a definate no, next model please or wait maybe a Samsung?
    Go over to some of the iPhone forums and read about battery life from users. Very enlightening. Nuff said.
    polytope likes this.
    02-01-13 09:05 PM
    I've owned the following smart phones:

Sidekick 2, 3
    iPhone 1, 3G, 3GS
    Evo 4G
    Bold 9930
    Galaxy Nexus

I have never owned a phone that lasts me the whole day if I'm using it. I haven't owned the iphone 5 but all my friends complain about the battery life (just like I do with my Galaxy Nexus).

It's a smart phone. It's literally a mini computer in your pocket, especially with how powerful these things are becoming. I'm amazed they last as long as they currently do.
    02-01-13 09:17 PM
    I have read reviews from Kevin, Engadget, Tech Crunch and others. Unfortunately all are reporting mediocre battery life. Most saying it will be hard to make it through a day under normal use. Unless they tweak the software to improve this between now and March release in US, I will have to pass on this model.

A normal days usage is my test. If a phone can't do that, I'm not carrying it.
    Simple solution is to get a backup battery. Z10 has a removable battery!
    02-01-13 09:27 PM
    I have read reviews from Kevin, Engadget, Tech Crunch and others. Unfortunately all are reporting mediocre battery life. Most saying it will be hard to make it through a day under normal use. Unless they tweak the software to improve this between now and March release in US, I will have to pass on this model.

Well, I never use z10 before, touch and hold it? yes. But, let me give a try first. I had spend several weeks with Dev Alpha Loaded with BB 10 OS which is used in London EU. So, Alpha that I used and usually used to make screenshot and made leaks for you all, is lasting for about 10 hours (HSDPA mode, No LTE available here). Before it loaded with London BB10 OS, it's just last for about 5-6 hours (using 1st generation of BB10). AFAIK, alpha uses 1500 mAH battery. If Alpha can last for about 10 hours, then Z10, which uses 1800 mAH, possibly can stand for about 12 hours and up.

But, that's my opinion. Btw, I use the Alpha to make a phone calls, voice chat, emails, browsing, downloading, games, etc.
    02-01-13 09:28 PM
    Yesterday I stayed home all day, I was running errands today so I was on LTE for a while. Had a bluetooth link with my car for few hours too

Anything different you can point to today? Location/reception? Any LTE use?
    02-01-13 09:32 PM
    On my iPhone 5, it would die within 6/7 hours on LTE & using it to the max. S3 would die 8/9 hours. I for one have not used the Z10 yet as i am getting it Tuesday but will test it out & check out the battery.
    Will be interested to see your anecdotal report. As I said, I don't think it's a big deal....it's around "normal" for a current smartphone. I actually give credit to the CB'ers who are blasting the battery life of the z10 now....they are the only ones who had a right to criticize the iphone or other phones before!
    02-01-13 09:34 PM
    What about the active tiles? Could that be a culprit? Can you disable them?
    There is no culprit. You're carrying a 1.5Ghz dual-core processor in your pocket with 2GB of RAM that's connected to an LTE wireless network. Computers only a few years ago ran on less. Everyone should do themselves a favor whenever they buy a new smartphone that has a removable battery -- buy a spare. These devices aren't Motrola RAZR V3's any more and you're simply not going to get the battery life you once had, that's the reality of the situation. Look around and you will find the same concerns on every device on every platform at some point or another. iPhone, Android, Windows Phone -- all have issues with battery life because of our unrealistic demands. Everyone wants faster processors, faster networks, faster everything... with the same battery life as before - How come no one ever screams for bigger and better battery technology?

Make it thin, make it compact, make it fast, make it look great. PS: Do it all on 10 year old battery life technology!

Seems legit.
    02-02-13 01:46 AM
    My galaxy lasts two hours of active usage. So ya, I am fine with the Z10 battery life.
    02-02-13 01:46 AM
    Aside from the fact that pretty much all these hot new phones have crap batteries, nothing seems to have changed. I also don't see it changing anytime soon. It is what it is nowadays, but we still have an advantage with the removable battery.

It's also quite amusing watching people bicker about "my phone last this long" and "no this phone doesn't long this long" topics, because what some people fail to realize is that each carrier, each location, each country will provide a different level of batter life for the SAME phone, and the difference can be MASSIVE. A few (real) examples using my trustworthy 9700...

Phone: 9700
    Carrier Rogers (Canada)
    Network: 3G
    Battery duration: 1.5-2 full days

Carrier STC Saudi Arabia
    Battery duration: 9-11 hours (sometimes even 6-7hrs)

Carrier: Orange (France)
    Battery duration: 2 days

I know that when I get my Z10 and be on LTE here, the battery will probably not fair well at all. However, if I switch to 3G/2G, then it should be fine.
    02-02-13 03:43 AM
    Aside from the op getting blasted on this subject and a few others acting like this is ridiculous (I don't like charging at all. When I had a DROID x I was charging 5x per day. Galaxy S was 3+) I use about 6 gigs of data a month and I charge my 9930 twice a day. So some people can't expect it to last. But my point being, GIVE IT TIME TO BREAK IN. ITS BRAND NEW. WTF.
    02-02-13 03:54 AM
    Hold on what? You mean to say that in the box they give you 2 Batteries and a portable charger?
    That was the media demo package. Haven't seen anything yet about what is actually coming from the carriers.
    02-02-13 05:31 AM
    I know that when I get my Z10 and be on LTE here, the battery will probably not fair well at all. However, if I switch to 3G/2G, then it should be fine.
    Bad battery life on LTE is no longer a given. While this was certainly true on Android early into the LTE wave, newer phones can make it through more than a day of general usage. Heavier users will have different experiences. I've got both. 9930 and an iPhone 5. The iP5 can easily make it through a day from a full charge in the morning. On a weekend, I sometimes don't charge it at all from Friday morning until Sunday night. This is with about a three bar LTE connection.

In a poor coverage area, the battery life suffers if the phone is constantly switching back to 3G and the searching for, acquiring, and trying to maintain LTE. This seems to be the case with any LTE device.

One thing I suspect will factor into battery life as well will be what is running in Active Frames. If those apps,tend to consume a significant amount of power, it will chew through battery charge. This is an area where it will be interesting to see how BlackBerry's development team has handled the blend of power consumption versus productivity gains.
    02-02-13 05:44 AM
    LTE is fast but it burns battery faster as does the processor. The old Blackberrys have 2 days because they are 3G and need less power to run the processor.

Best solution is grab a spare battery pack for $40 and call it a day.
    LTE also burns your data in no time. Got a 5GB montly cap? You can burn it off in less than a day.
    02-02-13 05:47 AM
    There is no culprit. You're carrying a 1.5Ghz dual-core processor in your pocket with 2GB of RAM that's connected to an LTE wireless network. Computers only a few years ago ran on less. Everyone should do themselves a favor whenever they buy a new smartphone that has a removable battery -- buy a spare. These devices aren't Motrola RAZR V3's any more and you're simply not going to get the battery life you once had, that's the reality of the situation. Look around and you will find the same concerns on every device on every platform at some point or another. iPhone, Android, Windows Phone -- all have issues with battery life because of our unrealistic demands. Everyone wants faster processors, faster networks, faster everything... with the same battery life as before - How come no one ever screams for bigger and better battery technology?

Make it thin, make it compact, make it fast, make it look great. PS: Do it all on 10 year old battery life technology!

Seems legit.
    We need better battery technology. Someone should invent a 48000mAh battery that is as small as a dime.
    02-02-13 05:51 AM
    One thing I suspect will factor into battery life as well will be what is running in Active Frames. If those apps,tend to consume a significant amount of power, it will chew through battery charge. This is an area where it will be interesting to see how BlackBerry's development team has handled the blend of power consumption versus productivity gains.
    According to Dev Relations, apps that are minimized (i.e. showing the active frames) are capped at 10% CPU. Of course, if you have 8 of these CPU-hogging apps running, you'll be at 80% CPU, which will kill off even a MacBook Air in 1.5 hr. But that is why Built for BlackBerry apps are preferred. They have been tested to NOT hog the CPU. You have BlackBerry's stamp of approval that these apps don't kill your battery.

BFB apps tend to be more expensive. But you pay for what you get.
    02-02-13 05:55 AM
    what would be awesome for future models is a capacitor in the phone that lets you change the battery without shutting the phone off. 30 seconds of power storage - just enough to change and keep going.
    02-02-13 06:26 AM
    what would be awesome for future models is a capacitor in the phone that lets you change the battery without shutting the phone off. 30 seconds of power storage - just enough to change and keep going.
    I like the idea of hot-swappable battery. An unremovable reserve battery that lasts a couple of minutes would also do.
    02-02-13 06:50 AM
    My battery has been pretty poor this morning but I have been downloading apps and sorting out contacts, which is something I won't bo doing everyday so hopefully it gets better!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    02-02-13 06:59 AM
    Speaking of batteries, has anyone heard anything about Seido coming out with an oversized battery?
    02-02-13 07:11 AM

I'm up at 5:30 every morning and as I use my 9900 as an alarm it's on from that moment on. On a regular day my phone is down to about 12% by around 2 in the afternoon. If I use my 9790 it lasts to about 3-3:30. Even some of the "poorer" reviews suggestion that what ever the Z10 gives me is going to be an improvement over what I'm getting now and I'll gladly take it. Besides, I'm not really bothered by any kind of battery reports this early in a phone's life. Let's see what everyone's saying in a month or so, I always find batteries improve with use and the first few times are generally awful.
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 02-02-13 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Speeling n' stuff
    02-02-13 07:13 AM
    Had mine off charge for 24 hours after downloading and playing loads with it while on charge so 24 hours of normal use and the battery is now at 22%. I say normal use but then I have been showing it off to people a bit so battery should be good for a day and night easily for me. My android phone would usually get me through 10 hours by comparison so happy with the battery life. I work shifts so yesterday day worked for 8 hours and then the night for 8 so if you use your phone all day and charge at night then you'll be more than ok.
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-02-13 07:22 AM
    Sorry that you choose to disagreee, my wife and daughter both have iPhones. Both use heavily during the day and dont have a battery issue. You watch, this phoneonce it hits US will turn out to have many battery issues. Just my opinion.

I like your signature quote, but you say nothing about "know it all fanboy bullys".

Thanks
    02-02-13 08:12 AM
    Sorry that you choose to disagreee, my wife and daughter both have iPhones. Both use heavily during the day and dont have a battery issue. You watch, this phoneonce it hits US will turn out to have many battery issues. Just my opinion.

I like your signature quote, but you say nothing about "know it all fanboy bullys".

Thanks
    You say that, but what experience do you have with this phone? I'm not really sure where you have enough data to state that the Z10 will have battery issues as emphatically as you have. Most reviews have been positive with battery life barely being mentioned. In the UK there have been hundreds of thousands of Z10s sold and yet those users haven't been jamming up everyone's bandwidth complaining about battery life, either. As I said earlier, if what the vast majority of views are saying is correct, battery life will be a vast improvement from what I'm getting now for how I use a phone. And again, like I said earlier, it's far too early to judge how a battery performs until it's been fully cycled 9 or 10 times. How are you so sure that the Z10 is going to fail in the battery department? Where did you get that data from?
    02-02-13 08:33 AM
    According to Dev Relations, apps that are minimized (i.e. showing the active frames) are capped at 10% CPU. Of course, if you have 8 of these CPU-hogging apps running, you'll be at 80% CPU, which will kill off even a MacBook Air in 1.5 hr. But that is why Built for BlackBerry apps are preferred. They have been tested to NOT hog the CPU. You have BlackBerry's stamp of approval that these apps don't kill your battery.

BFB apps tend to be more expensive. But you pay for what you get.
    And, guys, most decent apps will use NO CPU while they're minimized, aside from the handful that actually need to do something in that state. It's basically trivial to have your app listen to and handle the various system messages it is sent telling it "you're minimized now, STFU" and "now you're not even visible so stop rendering, fool!". Maybe Android ports won't handle that well, and some developers are too green to deal with this yet, but any decent app that doesn't have a specific reason to keep chewing CPU will use none, nada, zip.

You'd be hard-pressed even to find 8 apps in your usual set that would chew 10% each while minimized.
    02-02-13 08:45 AM
    Have no experience, just from this post. Is that ok? Is it OK with you?

I hope after implemented in the states the battery life is within an acceptable use category. Not a well its a nice phone mentality and I am willing to over look the poor life of the battery mentality!

We dealt with this for years with BB and poor battery performance in other units.
    02-02-13 08:47 AM
299 ... 56789 ...