When Kevin did his post on the unboxing, he pulled out an extra case that has a battery in it, and the ability to plug into the phone. Basically, if you are in a call and can't switch batteries, just plug the extra one in as a charger, and then once your done the call you can replace the battery...

BlackBerry Z10 Review Unit Unboxing! - YouTube
    That's a review unit. Pretty sure consumers aren't going to be getting the spare battery and charger, as cool as it would be.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-31-13 07:33 PM
    I think it has bad battery life because everything is running all the time.. Constantly doing something to drain the battery!
    six6xis likes this.
    01-31-13 07:40 PM
    Guys the extra battery and charger only came with the devices given out at the event and to testers before rollout. The package included the bluetooth speaker too. Us Joe average buyers need to purchase the extra battery separately.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-31-13 07:43 PM
    TA-DA!
    Reported Bad Battery Life :-(-img_6396.jpg
    (In before I don't want to lug this around, I have one for my 9930 its unnoticeable in my right front pocket of my jeans, get over it)
    01-31-13 07:47 PM
    on your 9930 and 9900 bolds I wish you would give us your secretes for 1-2 day battery life!
    01-31-13 07:52 PM
    on your 9930 and 9900 bolds I wish you would give us your secretes for 1-2 day battery life!
    Update the OS.
    01-31-13 07:57 PM
    Battery life is very subjective. I noticed that with my Bold 9900, I can easily make it through the day with heavy usage if I remain home where I get 5 bars all the time. Its HSPA+ with Bell. But at the office, even with light use, I cannot make it through the afternoon. I think it depends on the signal strength cause I only get a couple of bar at work... and sometime it fluctuates to 0 bar.
    xiaohuaxing and bodjor like this.
    01-31-13 08:01 PM
    I just pre-ordered the spare battery. It's hard to comprehend how people out there figure their phones should last at least a week on battery power. These same people expect the phone to operate 150% of the time every second. I find it hard to comprehend that some of the most important features of any new device is battery power. Whenever there is a release of a new product one of the first forum discussion threads is battery life. I know not many will do this but people have to accept what they have for what they have. There is no battery for any "smartphone" that will last a week unless you have it shut off or you have no friends and never get emails or texts. Battery life depends on how much you use your phone and how many apps are still running in the background. Get over it, the battery won't last more than a day. No big deal. Just get an extra battery.
    01-31-13 08:02 PM
    Battery life is very subjective. I noticed that with my Bold 9900, I can easily make it through the day with heavy usage if I remain home where I get 5 bars all the time. Its HSPA+ with Bell. But at the office, even with light use, I cannot make it through the afternoon. I think it depends on the signal strength cause I only get a couple of bar at work... and sometime it fluctuates to 0 bar.
    Reception has a major impact on battery life, which is why reports about battery life are always inconsistent.
    bodjor likes this.
    01-31-13 08:03 PM
    Guys the extra battery and charger only came with the devices given out at the event and to testers before rollout. The package included the bluetooth speaker too. Us Joe average buyers need to purchase the extra battery separately.
    I understand the concept of that BUT really they should give us the extra battery & charger as well. It would be nice if a company would do that for us average joe.
    01-31-13 08:04 PM
    I carry around an extra battery for my Samsung Galaxy S 3 so I'm used to not getting through an entire day. I also use my phone a lot.

I thought I read a while ago that Blackberry was looking to make the life of their battery in their first bb10 phone last exceptionally long?
    01-31-13 08:10 PM
    Off charger stats are completely useless for judging battery life...screen on time is the only true way to judge battery life. Does anyone have screen on stats by chance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 08:15 PM
    One of the reasons I came back to Black was for battery life. My 9780 rules here.
    But its not a deal breaker. I was on Android and iPhone 4s. Pitiful battery life. I had to charge during the day, and often twice on my iPhone.
    So if the new Z10 needs a mid day charge... no biggie!
    I've got plenty of AC outlets!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-31-13 08:20 PM
    When Kevin did his post on the unboxing, he pulled out an extra case that has a battery in it, and the ability to plug into the phone. Basically, if you are in a call and can't switch batteries, just plug the extra one in as a charger, and then once your done the call you can replace the battery...

BlackBerry Z10 Review Unit Unboxing! - YouTube
    That is not the official retail Z10 package. You will most like get the phone, a case or holster, earphones, a charging cable and usb cable, a phone and a battery. Not fancy speakers or fancy extra battery and charger.

I just pre-ordered the spare battery. It's hard to comprehend how people out there figure their phones should last at least a week on battery power. ........
    Because dumphones used to last us at least a week before requiring recharging. My mom uses and old Nokia dumbphone and she charges one or twice a week
    01-31-13 08:34 PM
    Off charger stats are completely useless for judging battery life...screen on time is the only true way to judge battery life. Does anyone have screen on stats by chance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Read the thread man.

The stats we have so far included just over eight hours of video watching, and ten hours of 4g browsing. They did those tests with the screen on, because... well... they were browsing and watching video.
    01-31-13 08:39 PM
    so ...... I guess you won't be getting any phones
    Sorry but you are wrong on this one. The GS3 will easily get you 14 hours with heavy usage. The note 2 is in a different universe in comparison.
    01-31-13 08:40 PM
    the fact that they needed to spend resources on making one of these is scary IMO:
    BlackBerry Battery Charger Bundle for Z10 | BlackBerry Battery Chargers | ShopCrackBerry
    it is a great idea and pretty cool, but it almost seems like they knew it would be necessary.
    I thought these came with the device? or was that a special edition given to Kevin?
    01-31-13 08:42 PM
    I thought these came with the device? or was that a special edition given to Kevin?
    It was a special review unit.
    01-31-13 08:48 PM
    What I want to know is if they have any apps running in the background and how many they have on days where the battery is drained? Josh from theverge indicated that sometimes he would make it to the evening and sometimes it would last from 9am to 6pm. That makes me think that he probably has some apps open and perhaps a page or two. The new Blackberry 10 OS can actually multitask unlike other phones so if they have flash ads up and other apps they will stay running in the active frame.
    01-31-13 08:52 PM
    I understand the concept of that BUT really they should give us the extra battery & charger as well. It would be nice if a company would do that for us average joe.
    I do kinda agree, but it doesn't seem like that would be good business sense. Realistically, there aren't many people who are away from some possible charging source for most of the day, which is why people generally don't worry about battery life, even when its terrible. If you have access to a USB port, or a car, or any wall socket (available on lots of trains and such now too) then battery life needn't be a real concern. So for a lot of people, a spare battery wouldn't get used, just left in a drawer somewhere with the charger, and if either part gets lost or damaged then both are useless.

I totally sympathise with people who are away from power a lot, because I do have those kind of days when my crew and I are out filming. It can be really tough to find the time to stay in one place and let things charge, even if you have things to charge from. But its just not worth it for any manufacturer to hand out additional batteries for free. It would be seriously nice of them of course, but it wouldn't make a real difference to the vast majority of people, and people buying batteries makes them money too.

Personally, I'm not really down with the extra battery thing; I prefer a USB battery pack. You can get them with up to 15000mAh with plenty of sockets, and while they take up more space and don't give you the immediate jolt, they are a lot more versatile. Being able to charge my phone and my tablet, as well as any phone anyone else might have is great and particularly for top-ups you only need to stay on charge for 10-20 mins to keep you going for another couple of hours. I do have a spare for my Torch and it lives in my go-bag and just sits there, always ready to rumble if I need it, but for day to day use I use my battery pack.
    01-31-13 08:53 PM
    Actual multitasking is new to Android/IPhone/Windows Phone users. Be gentle.
    Last edited by six6xis; 01-31-13 at 08:57 PM. Reason: I do own a WP7 phone but also own a Playbook.
    01-31-13 08:57 PM
    13 Hours now at 30%. Been really hammering it now. Spent some time playing Angry Birds Star Wars. More emails and browsing. The phone did get warm when playing Angry Birds.
    01-31-13 08:57 PM
    What I want to know is if they have any apps running in the background and how many they have on days where the battery is drained? Josh from theverge indicated that sometimes he would make it to the evening and sometimes it would last from 9am to 6pm. That makes me think that he probably has some apps open and perhaps a page or two. The new Blackberry 10 OS can actually multitask unlike other phones so if they have flash ads up and other apps they will stay running in the active frame.
    The thing to remember is that on BB10, the running apps are actually visible. Whenever you leave one open it stays there being very visible and easy to close down. Having an immediate visual representation of what is running should help people make smart choices about leaving things running, certainly battery hogs like games and video should be very obvious and you just click once to make them die.

I think part of the reason why bad journalists are reporting the Z10 has bad battery life is because they haven't gotten used to using the active frames. They are treating them like they are a 'recent apps' thing, and because they are used to OSes that can't multitask, they assume that if you aren't in the app its not doing anything. With a little more experience, you get the hang of closing things down when you no longer need them. Particularly since those guys have obviously been playing games and such, if they've been leaving that stuff open that would explain why they think they are getting bad battery life. If they've been leaving open angry birds and pocket ninja and shark dash all together, then opening up a video on top... yeah that'll eat your battery.
    01-31-13 08:58 PM
    Reception has a major impact on battery life, which is why reports about battery life are always inconsistent.
    this is so true, at work where I have a bad reception I only get about 5hrs on my phone and that is with Wifi off. At home with Wifi on I get about 10 hrs per charge
    01-31-13 08:59 PM
    this is so true, at work where I have a bad reception I only get about 5hrs on my phone and that is with Wifi off. At home with Wifi on I get about 10 hrs per charge
    Mmmhmm. Its one of the reasons my commute eats battery life unless I turn the radio off. I'm in and out of tunnels almost the whole way up, and then on the underground where signal is weird and it has to keep scanning for it.
    01-31-13 09:01 PM
299 12345 ...