I have read reviews from Kevin, Engadget, Tech Crunch and others. Unfortunately all are reporting mediocre battery life. Most saying it will be hard to make it through a day under normal use. Unless they tweak the software to improve this between now and March release in US, I will have to pass on this model.

A normal days usage is my test. If a phone can't do that, I'm not carrying it.
    01-31-13 12:45 PM
    I have read reviews from Kevin, Engadget, Tech Crunch and others. Unfortunately all are reporting mediocre battery life. Most saying it will be hard to make it through a day under normal use. Unless they tweak the software to improve this between now and March release in US, I will have to pass on this model.

A normal days usage is my test. If a phone can't do that, I'm not carrying it.
    so ...... I guess you won't be getting any phones
    01-31-13 12:47 PM
    I couldn't get a day from my 9900. I can get a day (barely) with my Lumia 920.
    I am not seeing great battery life on the Z10 yet, but need to run a lot of tests. See how it works with BT/WiFi on and off. Until NFC takes off, it will be Off.
    01-31-13 12:48 PM
    All smartphones these days barely make it through the day, its sad but its the reality for now.
    01-31-13 12:53 PM
    so ...... I guess you won't be getting any phones
    Oh please, the least a phone should be able to do nowadays is make it through a day under moderate usage. The iPhone can, as can many new Android phones; my current phone is over a year old and one of the first to come with LTE but I can always make it until 9 or 10 pm (even with ~1 hour of Netflix in between classes). Only (supposedly) going until 6 pm is pretty weak.
    TroubleTrouble likes this.
    01-31-13 12:56 PM
    I'm not saying it's going to have great battery life all of a sudden, but normally you need to wait at least 2 weeks before judging a phone's battery life to let it cycle a few times. That is a fact.
    01-31-13 12:59 PM
    When you're using a phone to test it for a review, obviously you're going to use it more heavy than normal and you'll see worse battery life than normal. The fact that they are saying it's "mediocre" and not "terrible" is actually a good sign.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 01:22 PM
    I have a Bold 9900, and a regular user all day, no problems getting 1.5 days out of it. As long as you remember to close programs after you are done with them and not leaving them running in the background you should have no problems. My Bold is about 14 months old.
    donmateo, Ansovald and xiaohuaxing like this.
    01-31-13 01:31 PM
    There aren't that many devices that can easily make it through the day nowadays. Especially with LTE sucking up more life. For some of the others though that think no devices can do it are wrong. I easily make it through on iPhone 5, GS3 and when I tried the Note 2 for a week. I just wonder about the power management of the OS because this is something that could be corrected in the future besides haven't to get super thick extended batteries.
    Rickroller and polytope like this.
    01-31-13 01:32 PM
    LTE is the biggest killer imo on the z10. My Galaxy Nexus only lasts me between 6AM-5PM with minimal use and that's on HSPA+. Hopefully the z10 will be better.
    01-31-13 01:44 PM
    The fact that they are saying it's "mediocre" and not "terrible" is actually a good sign.
    lol - We've sunk to a new low as consumers when "mediocre" is acceptable.
    seamonky, raino and xiaohuaxing like this.
    01-31-13 02:02 PM
    This was MobileSyrup's take on Battery. Interesting:

Battery Life
    For the first few days, your BlackBerry Z10 will likely not last the whole day; there is a fair amount of data being synced behind the scenes. Once everything has settled down, you can be certain of at least 10 hours of moderate to heavy usage depending on the number of accounts pushing notifications to your device. Thankfully, RIM thought it prudent to endow the Z10 with a removable battery, and there will be a dual-charging dock available at launch which will charge your phone as well as an extra cell.

In our extensive battery tests, the Z10 lasted just over 10 hours looping a video on 50% brightness with all network connectivity turned off. In our browsing tests, where we had the Z10 reload a page over LTE until the phone died, it lasted roughly eight hours. In other words, the handset, even when used heavily throughout the day, should last as long or longer than the average Android phone, and slightly less than the iPhone 4S and 5.
    01-31-13 02:10 PM
    in my opinion the LTE have a dramatic impact on the battery life.

i will bet my cent that if we disconnect from LTE the battery drain will stop

very much IMO
    meganVee likes this.
    01-31-13 02:11 PM

I have a Bold 9900, and a regular user all day, no problems getting 1.5 days out of it. As long as you remember to close programs after you are done with them and not leaving them running in the background you should have no problems. My Bold is about 14 months old.
    this is my situation exactly now that I am on 7.1. I have made it for 48 hours once and I live in a VERY bad service area.
    I know a few people with iphone 4S's and they can't make it through the day with very light usage.
    I thought that they were working on it hard so that battery was better then most, Sounds like the Q10 will be stellar.
    BB's have always been better then the competition when it came to battery life and they should have made a better effort IMO.
    I would rather have a phone that is .5-1.0 mm thicker and have plenty of battery at the end of the day.
    Geeoff and ralfyguy like this.
    01-31-13 02:23 PM
    i will bet my cent that if we disconnect from LTE the battery drain will stop
    can it be turned off?
    That would be really good for me because it doesn't exist in my town.
    I am surrounded by better service and LTE, just not here damn-it!
    uaisol likes this.
    01-31-13 02:24 PM
    Battery is a tough one. All that skyrocketing tech is competing with battery life advancements that moves like an elderly turtle.

HD screens+LTE+Dual Core+BlueTooth+Touchscreen+NFC

is a tough order. Agree RIM could improve, but I don't think it's realistic to expect the same battery life on a 9700
    thekidshop likes this.
    01-31-13 02:26 PM
    the fact that they needed to spend resources on making one of these is scary IMO:
    BlackBerry Battery Charger Bundle for Z10 | BlackBerry Battery Chargers | ShopCrackBerry
    it is a great idea and pretty cool, but it almost seems like they knew it would be necessary.
    01-31-13 02:27 PM
    Been playing with the phone all day. Off the charger since 9am. Battery right now at 65%.
    01-31-13 03:08 PM
    Of course it can be turned off, but if you don't actually have an LTE coverage around then you dont even have to turn it off. It drains the battery only when you're connected to LTE and using it. So, I guess it's better to to set it to 2G&3G mode from network settings and use LTE only when super speed is required. Other than streaming videos, I dont think LTE is needed these days.
    can it be turned off?
    That would be really good for me because it doesn't exist in my town.
    I am surrounded by better service and LTE, just not here damn-it!
    thekidshop likes this.
    01-31-13 03:16 PM
    What about the active tiles? Could that be a culprit? Can you disable them?
    01-31-13 03:22 PM
    What about the active tiles? Could that be a culprit? Can you disable them?
    They're not active tiles, they're minimized apps running which you can choose to close out.
    01-31-13 03:28 PM
    They're not active tiles, they're minimized apps running which you can choose to close out.
    I know, but they are called active tiles. Did they change that?
    01-31-13 03:38 PM
    In our extensive battery tests, the Z10 lasted just over 10 hours looping a video on 50% brightness with all network connectivity turned off. In our browsing tests, where we had the Z10 reload a page over LTE until the phone died, it lasted roughly eight hours. In other words, the handset, even when used heavily throughout the day, should last as long or longer than the average Android phone, and slightly less than the iPhone 4S and 5.
    This. Read this guys.

Their battery tests are the first QUANTITATIVE tests I've seen yet, instead of this stupid speculation. Continuous page loading for 8 hours over LTE? That sounds pretty friggin' good to me. Sold. I'm buying me a Z10.
    01-31-13 03:45 PM
    None of my Iphones or my androids can last from 8 am till 12 am without hitting the charger. My 9900 would last 36 hours.

So.. I'm used to not having a phone last 2 days like they used to
    Last edited by adrenaline_x; 03-04-13 at 12:18 PM.
    wtrmlnjuc, info600 and Starbuck_38 like this.
    01-31-13 03:53 PM
    you can always trust MobileSyrup for a good review.... Possibly one of the best review sites out there. Not jaded like other big sites.
    01-31-13 03:59 PM
299 123 ...