I'm having trouble connecting to my iMac. It shows up in BlackBerry Link
    On the z10. But I can't access it.
    My iMac is named " Gary's imac"
    But it shows up on the z10 as " Gary^as imac " is it the ' that is throwing it off? I tried changing the mac. I went into sharing settings on the imac and changed the name to
    Just " imac". But even on blackberry link on the Mac, it still shows up as
    "Gary's imac ". Nothing changed on the z10 either.
    I can access my Mac mini just fine.
    Any ideas?

Gary

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 02:26 PM
    It's the PC side folks.

Delete (COMPLETE, including settings!) the PC software and reload it.

I did that and the problems went away. It's rock-solid now and I've got two machines authorized.
    Comfim, delete Blackberry link from your computer and delete also name of your computer form your Z10.
    Connect Z10 to computer by usb cable and install Blackberry link while Z10 is connected. After instalation of BB Link confirm your BB ID in BB Link. Computer and Z10 will pair.
    ShowMoe likes this.
    05-03-13 03:51 PM
    Here are some more observations.

When my Z10 is bridged to my PlayBook, I try to open a remote file from my PC on my PlayBook through File Manager on the z10.

If I hard press a remote file, I can choose "share" and then "open on Playbook."

I tried this with pics, docs, mp3s and video. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. The Playbook tries to open each of these files but I encounter different problems with each file type.

Can anyone try this and see if you have more luck? It would be cool if this works.

Posted via CB10
    This is similar to the problems I've found using "Open on PlayBook" from a Z10 Bridged to a PlayBook in a BES 10 environment running the BlackBerry Work Drives app, which gives a BB10 phone on the BES access to Windows shares on servers on work's internal network as Drive letters or Drive names in File Manager in a similar way to how they can be mapped to Drive letters in Windows. That's doing a very similar thing to Link and BB10 but BlackBerry may be using their own file sharing protocol built in to Link rather than using Windows shares to shate folders (I've not tried it yet or looked in to exactly how it works).

Anyway, if I try to "Open on PlayBook" a file on a Work Drive (a Windows share on a remote server on my work internal network) on my Z10 Bridged to a PlayBook...nothing happens at all. Not even an attempt to open the file or an error message. It looks like Bridge has only been designed to open files physical stored on the phone and pass the data through to the PlayBook. It's close but no cigar.

They could develop a sync system for files you "Open on PlayBook" from a remote share so that it gets copied to the phone first and then opened on PlayBook and then say if it was a document you were editing it could be copied back to the remote share after you've saved your changes but there's not much point developing Bridge to handle this as when PlayBook gets BB10 you'll be able to open the file on the remote computer using the PlayBook in the first place, whether that's using the Work Drives app or Link, you won't need the phone in the middle.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 07:11 PM
    Comfim, delete Blackberry link from your computer and delete also name of your computer form your Z10.
    Connect Z10 to computer by usb cable and install Blackberry link while Z10 is connected. After instalation of BB Link confirm your BB ID in BB Link. Computer and Z10 will pair.
    I've done it twice and still, it says that the computer is offline. I had for a while, on one of the two windows computer I've tried it on, a period when it didn't says offline, but I was still unable to see any files. I was able to create a folder, but It never been created on my computer or wasn't able to add any file in it... I have my firewall off. I don't see anyting in my antivirus log. I don't see on the router also. Do I have to do some setting in the router, port opening or something else?
    05-03-13 08:25 PM
    I've done it twice and still, it says that the computer is offline. I had for a while, on one of the two windows computer I've tried it on, a period when it didn't says offline, but I was still unable to see any files. I was able to create a folder, but It never been created on my computer or wasn't able to add any file in it... I have my firewall off. I don't see anyting in my antivirus log. I don't see on the router also. Do I have to do some setting in the router, port opening or something else?
    Just asking, because this happened to me...are you logged in to Link with the BBID on your phone? Somehow, Link logged me out on my laptop. Once I logged in, it was available again on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 08:42 PM
    Can I set this up in the following scenario?

Me and my phone are in Los Angeles, my computer is in Cincinnati. I'm not going over there in a long time.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 08:48 PM
    Just asking, because this happened to me...are you logged in to Link with the BBID on your phone? Somehow, Link logged me out on my laptop. Once I logged in, it was available again on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I'm log in to link with the BBID on my phone. I've uninstalled again and reinstalled on both computer. There not appearing offline anymore, but I have a blank content for both computer in the files manager. Should it appears instantly or over many hours? I would really like it to worked because it such an awesome feature.
    05-03-13 10:53 PM
    Can I set this up in the following scenario?

Me and my phone are in Los Angeles, my computer is in Cincinnati. I'm not going over there in a long time.

Posted via CB10
    You have to set up your computer in Cincinnati first but it will work after that.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 06:47 AM
    Yes, I'm log in to link with the BBID on my phone. I've uninstalled again and reinstalled on both computer. There not appearing offline anymore, but I have a blank content for both computer in the files manager. Should it appears instantly or over many hours? I would really like it to worked because it such an awesome feature.
    Rebooting the phone works in that case for some people.

Maybe I am lucky but this has been pretty bullet proof for me. I am on T-Mobile and use a PC. I use windows firewall and ms security essentials.

I suspect that some of the problems people are experiencing are caused by third-party security software like Symantec or McAfee. Just a guess.

There also seem to be some issues with specific carriers like Verizon. In some case there are workarounds for those.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 06:53 AM
    Mine has been seriously finicky. I think it's the phone software. Last night I reinstalled link and setup everything. It worked great over wifi and cellular. Went to bed and was out on the road today and it wouldn't access my computer files. Just blank screen. 2 hours later I rebooted my phone cuz BBM wasn't clearing notifications for some reason and boom! All my files were showing from my computer. It's a finicky system. Now if I could just figure out why there is a 10 second delay on BBM voice with legacy BlackBerry devices i will be a very happy person.
    Mine was a bit finicky yesterday as well. Couldn't RFA anything, even though my Macbook was still running Link and hadn't been touched. This morning I rebooted both devices and still nothing. Connected through USB and re-installed link - nothing. The Z shows up in finder and I can access the media card. Finally I closed Link and voila, file access! Weird I know, but I think it's something to do with Link trying to sync/backup at the same time as RFA is happening. I'm not so technically adept as to understand it but I am persistent
    05-04-13 07:32 AM
    Is there anybody that have RFA working with Rogers? I see my computers in file manager, but I have blank screen. I'm wondering if it's a carrier problem.
    05-04-13 03:28 PM
    Is there anybody that have RFA working with Rogers? I see my computers in file manager, but I have blank screen. I'm wondering if it's a carrier problem.
    What happens if you to turn the Mobile Network off and keep wifi on?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 03:34 PM
    I'm on Rogers, carriers not a problem.
    Like my earlier post says, I think Link is a bit finicky.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 04:08 PM
    It's the PC side folks.

Delete (COMPLETE, including settings!) the PC software and reload it.

I did that and the problems went away. It's rock-solid now and I've got two machines authorized.
    In my Z10 it works but unfortunately temporary One day it works and another not...and I have to reinstal everything...
    KMB4 likes this.
    05-05-13 01:49 AM
    They're using a tunnel internally to do this and that can be finicky.

It works (now) in my environment on the local LAN with the VPN on the phone turned on (!), which I had to screw with for a while to get to operate. It will NOT show me the files on Cellular with the VPN enabled, but will if it's not. I am using IKEv2 (through my own gateway) and I suspect that the problem is that the cell connection is inherently behind NAT (at the carrier) and while IKEv2 handles this fine trying to shove the RFA down the tunnel in that environment fails. I'm not entirely sure why and will put some more effort into tracing it. I was quite surprised that it worked with the VPN up on the local WiFi network as that was the opposite of my expectations. There may be a port or firewall issue with my gateway that is blocking this and if so I'll be able to nail it.

When you try to initiate a RFA over the VPN the following gets logged on the PC side:

09:04:17.010803 IP Karl-Desktop.Denninger.net.49229 > 68-171-241-194.rdns.blackberry.net.https: Flags [P.], seq 48:180, ack 1, win 16425, length 132
    09:04:17.070271 IP 68-171-241-194.rdns.blackberry.net.https > Karl-Desktop.Denninger.net.49229: Flags [.], ack 180, win 501, length 0

I suspect what's going on is that the BlackBerry servers are trying to determine the current IP of the phone and they get the non-VPN'd address (that is, NOT the tunnel) and as a result the operation fails.

Fixing this would require determining intent, as a VPN tunnel can have two purposes -- to tunnel everything (which is how I use it) and to tunnel only to the corporate network and leave the rest of your access alone. This is determined by the route entries you send down to the phone when the tunnel comes up and since the RFA cannot determine your intent it likely is picking the wrong instance in this case. This would also explain why it works when I'm on the local network even with a VPN up, as the "non-tunnel" address is local and therefore the intent choice immaterial since the PC can find the other end.

BlackBerry could fix this by having the RFA look at the tunnel's routing table entries as sent by the VPN server; if it finds a default route then it would presume that the user's intent is to "tunnel all" and the proper place to direct the RFA is the other (remote) end of the tunnel. If it does not then it presumes that the user's intent is to tunnel only the corporate access and therefore electing the original remote end is correct.
    Last edited by tickerguy; 05-05-13 at 09:13 AM.
    00stryder likes this.
    05-05-13 08:57 AM
    I'm starting to wonder if the real reason BlackBerry developed this RFA system was to give corporations and BES users an opportunity to access their work files away from their office intranet?

If you think about it, BlackBerry could hand over the controls to the IT dept to allow read/write access, accessible files/folders, etc. and allow them to set the permissions on a user by user basis. It would certainly be better for the corporation than to let their workers store files on a cloud service's server or store things on a laptop/tablet, while still keeping BlackBerry deeply ingrained in the software management of their customers' MDM solution.

My my, Mr. Heins, this is very clever! If this is true, I can definitely see why he keeps mentioning why a BB10 device may eventually become the only mobile device people need in the next few years.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    05-05-13 03:18 PM
    I love this feature, when it was working, i can only connect when I'm on the same Wifi network, when I'm away from home my computer shows as offline! Wtf! I'm going to set everything up again and see if that fixes it

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 08:39 PM
    I don't have Blackberry Link as a settings option on my phone. I installed all OS updates 10.0.9.422 yet I can't find this setting. I have checked Remote Access and shared folders on Link but still nothing. Does anyone know what's up with this?
    05-06-13 12:40 PM
    I don't have Blackberry Link as a settings option on my phone. I installed all OS updates 10.0.9.422 yet I can't find this setting. I have checked Remote Access and shared folders on Link but still nothing. Does anyone know what's up with this?
    You need 10.1.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 12:51 PM
    ok....not sure if this is relevant to any techy but I just tried this.

Let me start by saying I'm on Verizon. I've been trying to RFA for a minute and thanks to this thread found that it works when you turn of data connection or mobile network. Turn off that and your PC says you are connected (little wifi symbol appears over your phone icon in LINK)

Even after installing 10.1 I get random reboots....I read somewhere that it may be the sim card.

I had an LG Lucid before my z10 so I decided let me try that sim card.

turn the phone on with the old sim and my PC tells me I'm connected (no USB connection). Sure enough I access file manager on the phone and yep I'm connected to my files.

However I never turned off data prior to the sim card switch. So I go into setting to see and everything is still on (wifi, mobile, and data)

BUT here is the difference my signal was 3g NOT 4GLTE.

I have no idea if that makes a difference but apparently it did. I had to change back though because my SMS stopped being able to send messages.

also if I'm away from home and want to connect do I have to turn wifi off? or do I need to be on a wifi outside my home and have mobile/data off for it to work.

hope that wasn't too convoluted...
    05-06-13 06:20 PM
    Have you tried Tinycam? They have a free and a paid version (pro). I use it to view cameras at my cottage and home. Works very well. Even support PTZ for some model.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 06:30 PM
    Found out that this obviously doesn't work if the PC goes into sleep mode! Tried to show a buddy access to my files when I was out, only to realize I couldn't see them because my PC goes to sleep after 30 minutes. Turned off sleep mode. I'll turn off the PC on Earth Day!
    05-06-13 07:14 PM
    ok....not sure if this is relevant to any techy but I just tried this.

Let me start by saying I'm on Verizon. I've been trying to RFA for a minute and thanks to this thread found that it works when you turn of data connection or mobile network. Turn off that and your PC says you are connected (little wifi symbol appears over your phone icon in LINK)

Even after installing 10.1 I get random reboots....I read somewhere that it may be the sim card.

I had an LG Lucid before my z10 so I decided let me try that sim card.

turn the phone on with the old sim and my PC tells me I'm connected (no USB connection). Sure enough I access file manager on the phone and yep I'm connected to my files.

However I never turned off data prior to the sim card switch. So I go into setting to see and everything is still on (wifi, mobile, and data)

BUT here is the difference my signal was 3g NOT 4GLTE.

I have no idea if that makes a difference but apparently it did. I had to change back though because my SMS stopped being able to send messages.

also if I'm away from home and want to connect do I have to turn wifi off? or do I need to be on a wifi outside my home and have mobile/data off for it to work.

hope that wasn't too convoluted...
    Nope, I understood it quite well. I think it is the way 4G data is handled on Verizon's network, I think we had a brief discussion about it several pages back. It might be the limitations of CDMA technology or it may eventually be overcome, but it is definitely a nuisance.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    05-06-13 09:41 PM
    I still never been able to connect my two home computer. One shows offline and the other one appear 4 times now due to multiples attempts to connect to link,reinstall, etc. I was able to see that it can work because I've installed link on a computer at work and it work the first time. So still searching what cause it not to work at home. Here,s a screenshot.
    Remote File Access: Awesome!-img_00000084.png

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 10:00 PM
    The computer that appears multiples times shows a blank screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 10:03 PM
542 ... 1415161718 ...