I have not been able to get RFI to work on my Verizon z10. I removed my computer in the settings for Link, and now and I can't get my computer to show as a paired computer. What do I have to do? I already erased Link and reinstalled it, but that did not work.
    Reconnect your BB10 device to your computer via USB and run Link, it should add your computer back.

(SN: Sorry for all the double posts, can't seem to multi-quote with the CB10 app yet and I'm too lazy to go to a computer and/or grab my PlayBook. Dammit Z10, what have you done to me?!)

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    04-30-13 01:18 PM
    Has it occurred to anyone else this is using a mechanism very similar to PrintToGo and Protect? Here's the deal:
    Your device cannot be accessed from the outside in. How does it establish a connection between your computer (which also can't be accessed from outside in) and your BB10 device? You should ask how you can print on your computer and have it show up on your phone as a PDF file? How does Protect establish a connection to your device to send instructions to lock or alert or wipe or report it's location, etc...

All of those work the same way, your Z10 creates a tunnel between it's self and a system in the BlackBerry Network. This is also how BIS works. Now, with the tunnel open, BB can access your device to do stuff like send Protect instructions. Technically, this is VPN your phone opened in the background to BB. I don't know if it is encrypted but it would make sense to do so since the capability is in place. Typically authentication is greatly encrypted but the data is lightly encrypted. This protects from bogus connections but speeds up data transfers.

Now, with Link and PrintToGo, your computer also opens a tunnel to BB. It knows by the BBID used on both sides to permit data to pass between those to tunnels. You have, in essence a VPN between your PC and your phone by way of BB. This actually explains why it doesn't work through a VPN. In that case, you are bypassing the BB NOC. Authentication of your phone has not be verified by Link so it won't permit access.

Why doesn't it work through Verizon? I don't know but I do know Verizon blocks inbound and outbound IP traffic for all but eMail and Web access. This is very likely why, when the Verizon connection is active the outbound tunnel traffic is blocked. If you had BIS provisioned on your Verizon account, it might actually work because they permit BIS tunnel traffic in that case.
    00stryder and LadyOfTheLAN like this.
    04-30-13 01:59 PM
    I am on Telus (Canada) I can access my laptop when I am on my home network but I just get a blank screen when I try when I am away from home. Is there a router port I need to open or what am I missing or is it Telus. I love my Z10. This is a really cool feature.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 05:04 PM
    I suspect the unofficial 10.1 update doesn't have all the code needed to allowing this feature on all carriers. Some happen to work, others not. We may find out starting tomorrow when the official 10.1 comes out on the Q10 in Canada.
    04-30-13 05:12 PM
    Has it occurred to anyone else this is using a mechanism very similar to PrintToGo and Protect? Here's the deal:
    Your device cannot be accessed from the outside in. How does it establish a connection between your computer (which also can't be accessed from outside in) and your BB10 device? You should ask how you can print on your computer and have it show up on your phone as a PDF file? How does Protect establish a connection to your device to send instructions to lock or alert or wipe or report it's location, etc...

All of those work the same way, your Z10 creates a tunnel between it's self and a system in the BlackBerry Network. This is also how BIS works. Now, with the tunnel open, BB can access your device to do stuff like send Protect instructions. Technically, this is VPN your phone opened in the background to BB. I don't know if it is encrypted but it would make sense to do so since the capability is in place. Typically authentication is greatly encrypted but the data is lightly encrypted. This protects from bogus connections but speeds up data transfers.

Now, with Link and PrintToGo, your computer also opens a tunnel to BB. It knows by the BBID used on both sides to permit data to pass between those to tunnels. You have, in essence a VPN between your PC and your phone by way of BB. This actually explains why it doesn't work through a VPN. In that case, you are bypassing the BB NOC. Authentication of your phone has not be verified by Link so it won't permit access.

Why doesn't it work through Verizon? I don't know but I do know Verizon blocks inbound and outbound IP traffic for all but eMail and Web access. This is very likely why, when the Verizon connection is active the outbound tunnel traffic is blocked. If you had BIS provisioned on your Verizon account, it might actually work because they permit BIS tunnel traffic in that case.
    Makes sense to me, thanks for that insight.

04-30-13 10:48 PM
    Not working for me either. I am on telus.

The laptop shows up but when I go into it on the device it is just blank. Please help!

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 12:11 AM
    Docs To Go is now integrated with Remote File Access in 10.1.0.1627.

The Music Player is not, however.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    05-02-13 05:13 AM
    That sounds very interseting. Since you say it works with Windows Home Server 2011, this would mean that I can access a NAS without having my PC running, assuming that I have Windows Home Server 2011 and Blackberry link on the NAS?

Could you confirm this?

It works on WHS 2011.
    Attachment 155842

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 05:18 AM
    Needs to have .mkv support

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 05:22 AM
    I am on Telus (Canada) I can access my laptop when I am on my home network but I just get a blank screen when I try when I am away from home. Is there a router port I need to open or what am I missing or is it Telus. I love my Z10. This is a really cool feature.

Posted via CB10
    You must be running the leaked OS - 1483 or up , and have "Download files over mobile" checked in the Link settings on the phone.

This feature is truly awesome. I'm in a building full of iPhone and Android users and even the diehards are impressed. Yesterday while installing some interior accessories on a new vehicle, I was streaming music from my Macbook at home to my Zed10 through the cars bluetooth audio. Awesome.
    05-02-13 05:43 AM
    That sounds very interseting. Since you say it works with Windows Home Server 2011, this would mean that I can access a NAS without having my PC running, assuming that I have Windows Home Server 2011 and Blackberry link on the NAS?

Could you confirm this?
    This will work. Run Link on the server and make whatever folders that you like accessible to the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    ShowMoe likes this.
    05-02-13 06:15 AM
    Needs to have .mkv support

Posted via CB10
    As someone already pointed out, there is already mkv support of a kind. Mkv is just a wrapper. If BlackBerry supports the audio and video codecs that are wrapped, the mkv will play.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 06:33 AM
    You must be running the leaked OS - 1483 or up , and have "Download files over mobile" checked in the Link settings on the phone.

This feature is truly awesome. I'm in a building full of iPhone and Android users and even the diehards are impressed. Yesterday while installing some interior accessories on a new vehicle, I was streaming music from my Macbook at home to my Zed10 through the cars bluetooth audio. Awesome.
    Yesterday I wanted to download the 10.1.0.1629 leak onto my phone at work and then copy it to my PC at home for when I got back. But, Mega doesn't work in the z10's browser.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 06:36 AM
    It seems that Acrobat Reader AND docs to go are integrated with Remote File Access.

Please do this with the Music Player and Video Player too!

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    05-02-13 08:49 AM
    It seems that Acrobat Reader AND docs to go are integrated with Remote File Access.

Please do this with the Music Player and Video Player too!

Posted via CB10
    And the latest update for Adobe Reader makes it so much better too!

05-02-13 11:00 AM
    Installed the latest official leak and it finally works! I love this feature. It's a shame I don't get enough data from my carrier.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 12:55 PM
    Here are some more observations.

When my Z10 is bridged to my PlayBook, I try to open a remote file from my PC on my PlayBook through File Manager on the z10.

If I hard press a remote file, I can choose "share" and then "open on Playbook."

I tried this with pics, docs, mp3s and video. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. The Playbook tries to open each of these files but I encounter different problems with each file type.

Can anyone try this and see if you have more luck? It would be cool if this works.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 04:15 PM
    Not working for me either. I am on telus.

The laptop shows up but when I go into it on the device it is just blank. Please help!

Posted via CB10
    If you on Windows: Did you try to disable firewall?
    05-02-13 04:44 PM
    I'm having trouble with it as well. The phone shows up on BB Link as available but I never see the "paired" indication on the phone itself at the bottom of the link pane in settings. It WAS working but stopped -- and has not come back despite reboots of both the phone and PC, and a full re-install of BB Link as well.

Nothing else is causing me trouble but this either -- I'm on the latest leaked OS.

Does anyone know exactly what ports and such the software wants open? I don't see anything being blocked by my firewall, but it won't come up.

I have the Windows firewall turned off.
    05-02-13 08:33 PM
    I'm also having trouble using remote file access on my Z10 with the latest leaked OS. It indicated that both of my computer are offline. I've reinstalled Blackberry link on both. Reboot etc... And still not working. As anyone been able to correct the "offline" situation?
    05-02-13 08:56 PM
    HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWEOME.

The not so awesome is that I am Verizon. Push the damn update already you bastards!
    05-02-13 08:59 PM
    I unloaded and reloaded all the PC side stuff and it is now working.

But it will not run over a cell connection on T-Mobile, whether I have an IPSEC VPN up to the location where the hosts are that are paired with it or not.
    05-02-13 09:56 PM
    Mine has been seriously finicky. I think it's the phone software. Last night I reinstalled link and setup everything. It worked great over wifi and cellular. Went to bed and was out on the road today and it wouldn't access my computer files. Just blank screen. 2 hours later I rebooted my phone cuz BBM wasn't clearing notifications for some reason and boom! All my files were showing from my computer. It's a finicky system. Now if I could just figure out why there is a 10 second delay on BBM voice with legacy BlackBerry devices i will be a very happy person.
    05-02-13 10:27 PM
    Here is another tidbit.

When Bridged to the Playbook, you can use the Playbook's File Manager to browse the Z10. The Remote folders that are set up can be browsed on Playbook. But, I get the same errors trying to open files this way as when I try using the "Open on Playbook" function on the Z10.

I hope that this can be made to work eventually.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 07:17 AM
    It's the PC side folks.

Delete (COMPLETE, including settings!) the PC software and reload it.

I did that and the problems went away. It's rock-solid now and I've got two machines authorized.
    05-03-13 07:34 AM
542 ... 1314151617 ...