After almost seven months in my possession I stumbled across an amazing asset that comes with the Z10. I'm thinking it was introduced with the latest version of Link but I can't be sure.

It's Remote Access!

I set up what folders my Z10 could see and instantly I can access my computer's desktop folders on my phone through the Z10 file manager.

No software to download, nothing too complicated to set up.

Amazing. My own private cloud.

Via my Z10 beta 10.4.1.1338
    dusdal likes this.
    08-21-13 02:39 PM
    So you consider Link is not a software?
    08-21-13 02:46 PM
    Been there from.day one, quite a few threads on it. A very underrated, little known. BlackBerry should have pushed this feature from day one. I often leave my PC running, and can access it via device from anywhere in the world!

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 02:52 PM
    You missed my point.

Link was already on my computer.

I simply selected the folders I wanted to access using Link and did nothing else. I installed nothing on my phone yet I can see everything in my Desktops folders.

Aside from setting up the folders, Link isn't running on my desktop.

As long as the computer is running, I can see all my files and folders.

I will say you need to check off the "allow access via mobile network" to get access.

That's pretty cool considering my wife can't do that with her iDevice without additional software.

Via my Z10 beta 10.4.1.1338
    08-21-13 02:53 PM
    Meh, remote access is available on all other platforms too. (Well, iOS and Android... Not sure about WP8)

It's an allright feature, but too complicated. I shouldn't have to mess about with folders and remote access. My phone should just have access to all that stuff regardless.
    (For example, when you go into photo or video gallery, you also get a gallery of photos and videos that are on your computer...)

Oh well, maybe in ios8...
    08-21-13 03:04 PM
    Yep. This is a nice capability. I put Dropbox and Amazon Cloud Drive on my computer and shared them in Link so I see my computer and cloud storage in one place. I use EyeFi on my DSLR camera. When I'm out making photos I turn on HotSpot on my Z10, EyeFi connects and transfers the pictures directly to my computer which makes them available on my Z10 via Remote File Access. So a few minutes after taking a picture on my DSLR the pic is available on my Z10. I can edit the pics and post them using phone. And, the picture files are on the computer where they are automatically backed up to the cloud.

I also have drives from my other computers mapped and shared via Link so I can access files on any of those machines.
    08-21-13 03:12 PM
    I agree,this is a good built it feature,

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 03:57 PM
    This is one of my favourite BB10 features - while on a train heading into the City with my boss for a client meeting I was able to remotely access my laptop, and through that our company's server, and pull up some files that he was looking for - they were on his email, but his Samsung Galaxy (II I believe) was struggling to load the email client. I had the files on my Zed before he could begin searching.

Very underrated feature!
    08-22-13 09:40 AM