Z10, ATT on official ATT 10.1.0.2019 software. I cannot do remote file access, it ALWAYS says it's offline when I check on my phone, but BB Link says it is enabled. Any help?

Thanks in advance!
    12-11-13 03:06 PM
    Are you signed into link on more than one pc. In my experience one pc only . Do you leave link open on the pc you need remote access? (required or only way it works for me )

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 03:13 PM
    No, I am only logged in on my laptop, I believe. It shows "PC name (Offline)" even though it is very clearly online and signed in on link.
    12-11-13 03:20 PM
    Rather than use BB link, you can enable remote file access on your phone, and use the PC to browse/copy files to and from. To enable this, make sure you are connected to your wifi network, then go to:

settings->Storage and Access, and turn Access using Wi-Fi on. It will ask you for a password, which you enter twice. Now work out your IP address in settings->About, select Network from the Category drop down menu, then look at the IPv4 address (ignore the part after and including the /). For example

IPv4
    1.1.1.1/24

you would remember 1.1.1.1

Now go to your (I assume windows) PC, and navigate to the phone share, either in file explorer, or from the start menu/command prompt. Enter your password when asked. The username is BlackBerry.

The address you want is:
    \\1.1.1.1\

you can specify the internal or external storage directly
    \\1.1.1.1\media
    \\1.1.1.1\removable_SDCARD

or just select it from \\1.1.1.1

This is one of the more awesome built in features of bb10. I use it all the time, as I run linux and can't use bb link.

If you want to copy files from your PC without touching it, install ghost commander. You can open network shares with it.

Hope this helps.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-11-13 05:14 PM
    Please forgive my ignorance, but what/where is this "Phone Share?" How do I go about finding this?
    12-11-13 06:43 PM
    Rather than use BB link, you can enable remote file access on your phone, and use the PC to browse/copy files to and from. To enable this, make sure you are connected to your wifi network, then go to:

settings->Storage and Access, and turn Access using Wi-Fi on. It will ask you for a password, which you enter twice. Now work out your IP address in settings->About, select Network from the Category drop down menu, then look at the IPv4 address (ignore the part after and including the /). For example

IPv4
    1.1.1.1/24

you would remember 1.1.1.1

Now go to your (I assume windows) PC, and navigate to the phone share, either in file explorer, or from the start menu/command prompt. Enter your password when asked. The username is BlackBerry.

The address you want is:
    \\1.1.1.1\

you can specify the internal or external storage directly
    \\1.1.1.1\media
    \\1.1.1.1\removable_SDCARD

or just select it from \\1.1.1.1

This is one of the more awesome built in features of bb10. I use it all the time, as I run linux and can't use bb link.

If you want to copy files from your PC without touching it, install ghost commander. You can open network shares with it.

Hope this helps.
    For those of us less involved in dealing with the in's and out's of network shares and Windows' needs - how does one fill out the info that Ghost seems to want so I can mosey over to my Win machine from the z10. I know I had it on the Playbook at one time but just went looking and nothing is filled out. Thanks (and if too involved, you can skip it)

I will refine my question: I seem to have gotten to a hard drive connected by ethernet cable to my router using its ip address (which I happen to know). But what about my C: drive or main computer? Or the other drive connected to my router by usb-usb.

Thanks.
    12-11-13 08:55 PM
    Try the suggestions in this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=882832

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 10:30 PM
    When I go to Docs to Go it now no longer says (Offline) it loads, but no docs show. I don't understand why this is so hard...
    12-11-13 10:51 PM
    Happened to me and if a reboot didn't work I installed latest version of Link and that cured it.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:11 PM
    I solved RFA not working once by "unlinking" Link from my BlackBerry and "relinking" them. Worked ever since. You don't need go waste your time with all this crazy drive mapping tomfoolery.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:38 PM
    So, delete my Z10 off of Link then reconnect it?
    12-11-13 11:59 PM
    Please forgive my ignorance, but what/where is this "Phone Share?" How do I go about finding this?
    Your bb10 device is more like a little PC than pretty much any other phone this side of meego. Sharing your files is the same as doing it on a windows machine. You must enable it in the settings pull down menu. Sorry if I didn't make it clear, so pull down the menu by swiping down from the top in the home screen, then tap on settings. So settings->Storage and Access means tap on settings, then in the menu that comes up, find "Storage and Access". You will have to scroll down, as it is near the bottom. Follow the rest of the instructions once you get the Storage and Access screen.

Now this makes your phone appear just like a PC. There are two predefined shares: /media, and /removable_SDCARD

Your PC needs to know where to go when trying to look at your phone. Its no different to selecting your CD/DVD drive, or a floppy (for those who still have them ) On a network, the IP address is like a street address, so you can find any machine in the world directly connected to the net. At home, you have your own little private network, but it still uses an address. So when you find out your IP address, this identifies your phone to any machine on your network. In windows land, you can talk to the phone using the notation:

instead of say c:\windows, or d:\videos use:

\\IP_ADDRESS\SHARE

e.g. for an IP address of 192.168.1.5, and the /media share, you get (notice the direction of the \ below)

\\192.168.1.5\media

Windows will ask for a username and password, the username is BlackBerry and the password is the one you set. You are now browsing your phone from your PC!

In Ghost Commander, the PC settings are essentially the same. It asks for: server, path, Domain, Username and Password. Now the server is your windows PC name/ip address. The path is the share name, and the username/password are your windows ones.

Maybe ES File Explorer is easier if you don't want to worry about this stuff. It is more like windows in that you can find out graphically what is on your network. I personally prefer ghost commander, but I think ES File Explorer might be others' favourite. Once you have installed it, make sure you are logged into your wireless network (like your home net).

Click the icon in the top left corner (looks like a phone over a globe).
    Select Network (a sub menu should open)
    Select LAN (local area network)
    Anything you have used before is now visible
    If you don't see your PC, tap scan
    After this has finished, you should see your PC.
    Click on it just like you would in windows, entering passwords etc if it asks for them.

You can look at files directly from here, so clicking on a .doc file will open it in docs2go.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by vader42; 12-12-13 at 05:24 PM.
    donmateo, FF22 and Ascumbas like this.
    12-12-13 05:11 PM
    VADER:

EXCELLENT tutorial. At the moment ES File Explorer was the quick way. Sheesh, access to everything.

I presume it would be too much to expect access from REMOTE locations (without inviting the rest of the world in).
    12-12-13 07:10 PM
    I understand computers, but not files and such.

I have everything setup on my phone, I know the IP and everything, but where am I typing the IP and media part into?

I'm sorry, but I am totally lost.
    12-12-13 08:17 PM
    I understand computers, but not files and such.

I have everything setup on my phone, I know the IP and everything, but where am I typing the IP and media part into?

I'm sorry, but I am totally lost.
    In Windows, Press the Start button (if your version still has it or what ever it might now be). In the SEARCH field enter

\\192.168.1.XX

Where xx is the address you find in your z10 (Settings/About/Network and look down under wifi ipV4), ignore the /yy) and press Enter. If you have established wifi sharing you should see your z10's contents.

By the way, if you reboot your computer or router or take other wifi things on/offline, that ip address can change which is why I established a static ip address.
    donmateo likes this.
    12-12-13 09:23 PM
    Got it! Thank you both very much! I thought the media part was to be put in the Search field, but it's a folder. Sorry for the confusion.
    12-12-13 10:27 PM
    I created a shortcut on my desktop that opens the Z10 using that info.
    12-12-13 11:44 PM
    Man so many threads on this issue. I was having it recently. One day it just stopped working and after hours of troubleshooting, I simply added another folder in Link that I wanted to share and remote access started working again.

Is it that so many people are not configuring their devices properly or is it that BlackBerry has not developed this feature properly?
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    12-16-13 03:24 PM
    Man so many threads on this issue. I was having it recently. One day it just stopped working and after hours of troubleshooting, I simply added another folder in Link that I wanted to share and remote access started working again.

Is it that so many people are not configuring their devices properly or is it that BlackBerry has not developed this feature properly?
    Maybe a bit of both.
    12-16-13 06:30 PM
    Maybe a bit of both.
    Lol... probably so F2.
    12-16-13 08:14 PM

I know this thread is a little dated, but you sir are a genius!
    02-19-14 04:30 PM
    I know this thread is a little dated, but you sir are a genius!
    So I'm guessing what I did worked for you? Glad to hear!
    02-20-14 06:06 AM
    So I'm guessing what I did worked for you? Glad to hear!
    Yes it worked great!

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 06:21 AM