I am trying to register my phone with a Google ID. Can anyone help??

Posted via CB10
    02-14-19 08:21 AM
    Is that even possible? I’m assuming you’re attempting to use Google Play Store and unsuccessful....
    02-14-19 08:35 AM
    I am trying to register my phone with a Google ID. Can anyone help??

Posted via CB10
    If you are trying to get the Google Play Store (as Chuck has inferred), just point your Z10 browser here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sergey...-apk-download/ and download and install the Yalp Store. That is a portal to the Google Play Store.
    02-14-19 09:51 AM
    Yes, Chuck, I'm trying to use Google Play Store.

Thanks, Brookie. I Googled a way to do this but after a few (of the many) steps, I couldn't go any further. I'll try the link you provided and will let you know.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-19 12:11 PM

Thanks, Brookie. I Googled a way to do this but after a few (of the many) steps, I couldn't go any further. I'll try the link you provided and will let you know.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry for the abbreviated reply.... what @brookie229 says is correct and better answer than I gave the first time... I’m not always the best multitasker
    02-14-19 01:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hey audrey,

Check out Cobalt's method for registering with a Google ID/otherwise enabling Google Play Services and the store directly. You can definitely get Yalp if that's all you want, but I suspect from your original post you may be looking more for what Cobalt has enabled.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...g-page-965257/
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    02-14-19 10:35 PM
    Thanks, Chuck :-)

Brookie, the download in the link you sent either isn't working, the apk downloads super slow (so slow that I think it's not) or something is wrong with my phone. Any ideas??

TrumpetTiger, at the risk of sounding obviously ignorant: what's the difference between the two?

Posted via CB10
    02-15-19 02:10 AM
    Thanks, Chuck :-)

Brookie, the download in the link you sent either isn't working, the apk downloads super slow (so slow that I think it's not) or something is wrong with my phone. Any ideas??

TrumpetTiger, at the risk of sounding obviously ignorant: what's the difference between the two?

Posted via CB10
    Audrey, I've seen people I might categorize as ignorant related to BB10; you are definitely not one of them.

Downloading Yalp (or any other way to utilize the Google Play Store) simply allows you to download the APK files from the store. Using Cobalt's method (and registering a Google ID) allows you to actually utilize many of those apps by enabling Google Play Services on your Z10.

Essentially just downloading Yalp lets you download APKs straight from Google but doesn't register a Google ID, sign you up with Google Play, turn on their services, etc. Cobalt's method does do all of that.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    02-15-19 02:39 AM
    Hey TrumpetTiger,
    For a while, I was able to get Android apps via 1 Mobile Market but I've not been able to connect to their site for several months. At first, I thought the error was due to my phone's Internet (no problem with any other app/site, including ones downloaded through them) but now I wonder if the company went belly-up.

Are you familiar with 1 Mobile Market? Is Yalp a similar application? If so, then I'd rather go Cobalt's way.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-19 08:14 AM
    Hey TrumpetTiger,
    For a while, I was able to get Android apps via 1 Mobile Market but I've not been able to connect to their site for several months. At first, I thought the error was due to my phone's Internet (no problem with any other app/site, including ones downloaded through them) but now I wonder if the company went belly-up.

Are you familiar with 1 Mobile Market? Is Yalp a similar application? If so, then I'd rather go Cobalt's way.

Posted via CB10
    When I used BB10, I used 1MobileMarket, but, have since been scolded here on CB as it may have not been the best choice, as in a bad idea.

I believe Yalp was suggested as better solution and Cobalt’s method also recommended but it may be more labor intensive.

For more detail, I’ll let @TrumpetTiger or @conite provide the more thorough explanations.
    03-17-19 08:58 AM
    Hey TrumpetTiger,

Posted via CB10
    Yalp is an actual Play Store client.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sergey...-apk-download/
    03-17-19 10:01 AM
    Hey TrumpetTiger,

Posted via CB10
    The Yalp Store https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com....min.yalpstore/ allows you to download and install apps DIRECTLY from the Google Play Store and is now the preferred method to obtain android apps for BB10 users. Much, much safer than most other android app stores. 1 Mobile Market has had security issues in the past and is not recommended by CB'ers generally.

Since BB10 devices require much older versions that are not available in the Google Play Store or Yalp (and therefore more likely to work) , we have an option to obtain these from other android app stores considered reasonably safe. Stores such as APKmirror and imo, APKpure offer older versions of apps which may work on the ancient android runtime (ver 4.3) of BB10 devices. It is really trial and error for these apps but quite often we are pleasantly surprised when we discover they work fine.

Cobalt's stack is now really out of date and not really required so there is no use in learning how to install imho.

My recommendation is to use as FEW android apps as possible to allow for a smoother experience (limit if you can to 12-15 android apps depending on your device) and install the Yalp Store app. Then for any apps you cannot find in Yalp, obtain them from APKmirror or APKpure. Both of those sites have app store apps that you can install on your BB10 device but why bother. It just adds to more problems with efficiency of your device. Just keep a shortcut on your desktop to either or both sites and navigate to the app you may want to try WHEN you need to.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
    03-17-19 10:06 AM
    Hey TrumpetTiger,

Posted via CB10
    Hi Audrey,

To answer the question I am somewhat familiar with 1 Mobile Market, and while previous comments about Yalp being a Google Play store client are correct I do not recommend using it since Google Play tends to only provide the most up-to-date versions of an application, which typically do not run with Blackberry 10.

I'd recommend APKPure for all your Android app needs, among other reasons because they host multiple versions so you can get a version that will work with BB10 (if it will work at all) easily. Others will claim Yalp is superior for security/verification/etc., but as you've no doubt discovered there are disagreements between myself and some others here on many aspects of BB10.

As for the Cobalt stack: I've heard the argument that it's out of date but have not verified that myself and, based on what I know of how Cobalt's method works, I find it unlikely that it would not be useful at all for those cases when apps would otherwise require Google Play Services. Let me know if you have trouble with any specific app and I'll do my best to test it for you.
    03-17-19 06:16 PM
    Hi Audrey,

To answer the question I am somewhat familiar with 1 Mobile Market, and while previous comments about Yalp being a Google Play store client are correct I do not recommend using it since Google Play tends to only provide the most up-to-date versions of an application, which typically do not run with Blackberry 10.

I'd recommend APKPure for all your Android app needs, among other reasons because they host multiple versions so you can get a version that will work with BB10 (if it will work at all) easily. Others will claim Yalp is superior for security/verification/etc., but as you've no doubt discovered there are disagreements between myself and some others here on many aspects of BB10.

As for the Cobalt stack: I've heard the argument that it's out of date but have not verified that myself and, based on what I know of how Cobalt's method works, I find it unlikely that it would not be useful at all for those cases when apps would otherwise require Google Play Services. Let me know if you have trouble with any specific app and I'll do my best to test it for you.
    Play Store / Yalp DOES host multiple app variants for different API levels (and architectures and DPIs). The only caveat being that some get REMOVED when the developer has decided that the app experience or the security verifications are no longer acceptable.

The version of Cobalt's modified Play Services app is so old, that most apps that need those services will warn that an update is required.
    03-17-19 06:26 PM
    Play Store / Yalp DOES host multiple app variants for different API levels (and architectures and DPIs). The only caveat being that some get REMOVED when the developer has decided that the app experience or the security verifications are no longer acceptable.

The version of Cobalt's modified Play Services app is so old, that most apps that need those services will warn that an update is required.
    Even if that is the case regarding Cobalt's app, that means that some may still work. We don't know which ones people need.

As for Play Store/Yalp: again, even allowing for the hosting of older app variants specifically for older devices, there is no way of knowing when they would be removed. This makes the Play Store/Yalp unreliable, which is why I do not recommend it.
    03-17-19 06:29 PM
    Even if that is the case regarding Cobalt's app, that means that some may still work. We don't know which ones people need.

As for Play Store/Yalp: again, even allowing for the hosting of older app variants specifically for older devices, there is no way of knowing when they would be removed. This makes the Play Store/Yalp unreliable, which is why I do not recommend it.
    They are being removed at the behest of the original developer and/or the security requirements of Google.

By using older (removed) apps, you are violating the TOS of the developer (and Google). So it depends on how one defines "unreliable".

As long as people are aware of the security risks, all is good.
    03-17-19 06:32 PM
    Others will claim Yalp is superior for security/verification/etc., but as you've no doubt discovered there are disagreements between myself and some others here on many aspects of BB10.
    I'm one of those who respectfully disagree. I recommend Yalp first and foremost then if an older apk is needed go to APKmirror or APKpure in that order.
    03-17-19 06:48 PM
    Thanks for all of your thoughts and inputs! I hope this thread hasn't caused any permanent ill-will towards anyone :-)

So now I'm not sure if I should attempt Cobalt's downloads or not. They are quite daunting to an Advanced Beginner, like myself! I can't tell if I need to download one link/file or several. Then there are the patches which confuse me more! Either using his or any of the other "remedies", I have a couple of follow-up questions:
    1. Should I delete 1Mobile Market from my phone?
    2. If I do, will all of the apps go too?

To be honest, I am most concerned with having/keeping WhatsApp. Right now, it's one of the only actual working apps I have/use, as the others are now shortcuts. Any apprehension I have about deleting stems from a fear of losing WhatsApp. I also just got a Fitbit and would like the app, if possible.

For the record, I'll be getting a new phone as soon as my finances permit (hopefully long before 31 Dec!). However, I need to make the best of my faithfully-outdated Z10 until then.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-19 08:54 AM
    1. Yes
    2. No

p.s. Don't worry there is absolutely no ill-will on this thread, lol
    03-18-19 09:16 AM
    Thanks for all of your thoughts and inputs! I hope this thread hasn't caused any permanent ill-will towards anyone :-)

So now I'm not sure if I should attempt Cobalt's downloads or not. They are quite daunting to an Advanced Beginner, like myself! I can't tell if I need to download one link/file or several. Then there are the patches which confuse me more! Either using his or any of the other "remedies", I have a couple of follow-up questions:

To be honest, I am most concerned with having/keeping WhatsApp. Right now, it's one of the only actual working apps I have/use, as the others are now shortcuts. Any apprehension I have about deleting stems from a fear of losing WhatsApp. I also just got a Fitbit and would like the app, if possible.

For the record, I'll be getting a new phone as soon as my finances permit (hopefully long before 31 Dec!). However, I need to make the best of my faithfully-outdated Z10 until then.

Posted via CB10
    Hey audrey,

Please do not be concerned about any ill-will. As you'll see on other threads, there are simply disagreements about BB10 and how to use it amongst various individuals, notably myself and conite. My feeling is to provide the best advice I can and ultimately let the user decide--ultimately, it's your device and you should use it in whatever way and to whatever extent works for you.

To answer your questions:

1. There's no need to keep 1Mobile Market, but also no specific need to delete it. It's just taking up sapce.

2. The apps will not go anywhere and should continue to work normally.

3. It may be possible to use Fitbit; I don't have one so I can't test fully but let me know if you have trouble and I'll check into it.

4. Sad to hear you'll be leaving us on the BB10 side of things, but as mentioned above if that's the choice you have to make for you then that's the important part.
    03-18-19 02:42 PM
    Thanks! I just want everyone to get along...plus, this just isn't that serious :-D

I think I may try to tackle Cobalt's "program" but I'm scared because of the many steps and me only an advanced beginner. I also need this phone to work as well as possible (given that BlackBerry is steadily moving towards its elimination) until the end of the year.

Yes, I'll be sad to go too but if BlackBerry is stopping all support for the Z10, I don't have a choice. And honestly, it seems to me that I'd be better off with something else and not BlackBerry-Android hybrid something.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-19 11:11 AM
    it seems to me that I'd be better off with something else and not BlackBerry-Android hybrid something.

If you are wanting social apps and like to use lots of apps in general, you would be wise to begin a switch over to an iOS or android device imho. Anyway, good luck to you in your decision!
    03-20-19 11:35 AM
    Thanks! I just want everyone to get along...plus, this just isn't that serious :-D

I think I may try to tackle Cobalt's "program" but I'm scared because of the many steps and me only an advanced beginner. I also need this phone to work as well as possible (given that BlackBerry is steadily moving towards its elimination) until the end of the year.

Yes, I'll be sad to go too but if BlackBerry is stopping all support for the Z10, I don't have a choice. And honestly, it seems to me that I'd be better off with something else and not BlackBerry-Android hybrid something.

Posted via CB10
    Don't be too scared Audrey. It's complicated, but the steps are pretty straightforward so no need to worry too much. May I ask what apps you're needing to run however? If you've been using 1 Mobile Market I assume you don't have need for Google Play Services....

I hear you on going with something else over a GooBerry and would tend to agree. If you're going to have a Blackberry, have a Blackberry I say. GooBerrys tend to be hybrids, and while I try to stay out of the Android forums there seem to be an awful lot of complaints about the devices....
    03-20-19 03:06 PM
    GooBerrys tend to be hybrids, and while I try to stay out of the Android forums there seem to be an awful lot of complaints about the devices....
    No more than prior BlackBerry devices, or any other devices for that matter.
    03-20-19 03:19 PM
    If BlackBerry had mot decided to stop all support for the Z10, I wouldn't be changing. Also, it seems that BlackBerry has made the decision to essentially leave the consumer market which is unfortunate because I really like(d) my Z10 when BlackBerry was committed to it and the consumer market. Leaving BlackBerry has been made for me. I'm just trying to make things work until d-day.

Brookie229, I'm mostly an app user esp WhatsApp. I just got a Fitbit but can't use it on the Z10 without being on Google Play.

TrumpetTiger, I was fine with 1 Mobile Market until several months ago when I realized that I could no longer connect to their app which meant I couldn't add any new ones. And any time I tried to do any updates, it would takes weeks to happen! The update is always loading but never loads. That's why I think it would be better to have a Google ID.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-19 10:10 AM
27 12