The more and more it gets closer to the launch date, I find myself wanting to cancel my order for my Nexus 4 that I will be getting near the end of January.
    I reserved my device with Rogers at #102, then backed out since I've been pretty put off by Rogers' locked contracts.

Being a 9900 and PlayBook user, I probably need a better phone as I have the Rogers 6GB Super Plan for another two years.

I need some advice with why getting the phone through buying outright or signing up for another three years is worth getting the phone, considering that the Aristo is rumored to be around November?

Please offer some constructive feedback. Much love and happy holidays.
    12-28-12 05:37 PM
    The more and more it gets closer to the launch date, I find myself wanting to cancel my order for my Nexus 4 that I will be getting near the end of January.
    I reserved my device with Rogers at #102, then backed out since I've been pretty put off by Rogers' locked contracts.

Being a 9900 and PlayBook user, I probably need a better phone as I have the Rogers 6GB Super Plan for another two years.

I need some advice with why getting the phone through buying outright or signing up for another three years is worth getting the phone, considering that the Aristo is rumored to be around November?

Why would you want a Nexus 4?
    12-28-12 06:15 PM
    Why do people always make threads asking for everyone to sway them one way or another? Make your own decision... I am getting a L-series device not because of what the community says but because I want one for me.
    12-28-12 06:44 PM

You already have a contract, so you need to buy the phone outright? If so, the Blackberry's will be a long time coming before you can get them apart from the carriers (unless the carrier's sell them sans contract there - i have no idea - here they only do it once the contract people have been sufficiently milked...). The Nexus 4 is probably half the price of a BB10 phone.
    12-28-12 06:50 PM
    If you have BB, and it works with your plan, if you're a heavy user, wait to check out 10. I'm a heavy user, and blow through up to 15 gig a month, as Android isn't as data efficient as a BB is. I'm unlimited, so I don't worry about it. If you have a trial period, it might be worth checking out on a whim, the newer Androids aren't bad at all. Some will knee-**** their bias at ya, but it's your ball game. I wish I'd had a viable BlackBerry alternatige for my needs, but my carrier never really got the price in line. I don't regret venturing out, but I do miss BBMing with some friends.
    12-28-12 07:24 PM
    If you have BB, and it works with your plan, if you're a heavy user, wait to check out 10. I'm a heavy user, and blow through up to 15 gig a month, as Android isn't as data efficient as a BB is. I'm unlimited, so I don't worry about it. If you have a trial period, it might be worth checking out on a whim, the newer Androids aren't bad at all. Some will knee-**** their bias at ya, but it's your ball game. I wish I'd had a viable BlackBerry alternatige for my needs, but my carrier never really got the price in line. I don't regret venturing out, but I do miss BBMing with some friends.
    My plan was before my current plan was designed with BB in mind. The current plan is a plan that works with all devices. Since my current phone isn't LTE and barely blows through 1GB per month it's a waste to an extent.

Why I might have this plan you may ask? My credits were going to run out earlier this month. I had to renegotiate a contract with similar pricing, but I was able to get more or less the same plan with more data by adding an additional year.

You already have a contract, so you need to buy the phone outright? If so, the Blackberry's will be a long time coming before you can get them apart from the carriers (unless the carrier's sell them sans contract there - i have no idea - here they only do it once the contract people have been sufficiently milked...). The Nexus 4 is probably half the price of a BB10 phone.
    There's the likelihood of me being able to negotiate for another phone, to end the contract early with an early hardware upgrade fee, and sometimes there's the option to waive it altogether. I'm sure not everyone who's reserved a device or planning to buy the device is free from their contract.

Why do people always make threads asking for everyone to sway them one way or another? Make your own decision... I am getting a L-series device not because of what the community says but because I want one for me.
    The problem is, I can't seem to make the decision. If you have nothing of value to add to the community, then don't post for the sake of adding to your post count.

I've kept up to date with the news of BB10 7-8 times a day for new things happening. I'm also not making an emotional purchase-- that was the 9900 and I don't want to repeat the same decision-making process again. Personally, I still think I paid too much for the White 9900 ($199 + contract), and PlayBook ($199 16GB).

Why would you want a Nexus 4?
    No contract, $350 outright price, specs are better than my 9900.

I'm also concerned with what Chris Umiastowski's (pardon my incorrect spelling) explanation of frequently mentioned comments about RIM's focus away from BIS and more into BES. As secure as it may be, I am not currently employed but finding work, so many enterprise features on the phone don't mean much to me yet.

The productivity features it adds to my day are my greatest interest in BB10, and will likely delve into the L-device as much of a purist I have been with the keyboard. I have really supported RIM and valued its innovative products-- especially it's employees of whom I've talked with on campus and classmates who've worked there as co-op students.

I do want to see BB10 succeed. But I also have to consider my end as a consumer.
    Last edited by rcheung135; 12-28-12 at 09:02 PM.
    magutwit likes this.
    12-28-12 08:52 PM
    Amen.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    12-28-12 09:09 PM
    Amen.
    If it bothers you guys that much then...um... DONT REPLY. Jeez what's up with people on CB lately, the OP was asking a question to help him decide what to purchase and you guys just want to drive him off.
    darkehawke and vbittersweet like this.
    12-28-12 11:23 PM
    Most carriers (in Canada, right?) will let you upgrade at no charge within 6 or 8 months of your renewal. They want to keep you as a customer. I would check to see if they will let you upgrade early. Otherwise, There are no term prices listed at least with Bell (my carrier) On the other hand, the specs and pricing for the unlocked, no term phone is very attractive. Only you can decide. Good luck, and let us know how you like the nexus, if you get it.
    12-29-12 03:07 AM
    My plan was before my current plan was designed with BB in mind. The current plan is a plan that works with all devices. Since my current phone isn't LTE and barely blows through 1GB per month it's a waste to an extent.

Why I might have this plan you may ask? My credits were going to run out earlier this month. I had to renegotiate a contract with similar pricing, but I was able to get more or less the same plan with more data by adding an additional year.

There's the likelihood of me being able to negotiate for another phone, to end the contract early with an early hardware upgrade fee, and sometimes there's the option to waive it altogether. I'm sure not everyone who's reserved a device or planning to buy the device is free from their contract.

The problem is, I can't seem to make the decision. If you have nothing of value to add to the community, then don't post for the sake of adding to your post count.

I've kept up to date with the news of BB10 7-8 times a day for new things happening. I'm also not making an emotional purchase-- that was the 9900 and I don't want to repeat the same decision-making process again. Personally, I still think I paid too much for the White 9900 ($199 + contract), and PlayBook ($199 16GB).

No contract, $350 outright price, specs are better than my 9900.

I'm also concerned with what Chris Umiastowski's (pardon my incorrect spelling) explanation of frequently mentioned comments about RIM's focus away from BIS and more into BES. As secure as it may be, I am not currently employed but finding work, so many enterprise features on the phone don't mean much to me yet.

The productivity features it adds to my day are my greatest interest in BB10, and will likely delve into the L-device as much of a purist I have been with the keyboard. I have really supported RIM and valued its innovative products-- especially it's employees of whom I've talked with on campus and classmates who've worked there as co-op students.

I do want to see BB10 succeed. But I also have to consider my end as a consumer.
    But the Nexus 4 is made out of glass. It's going to crack. Even Josh from the Verge noted that a guy from Google had the same crack near the camera just like his own has. I'm sorry but I can't support a design like that. I'd rather get an LG Optimus G which has the same CPU. Same reason I'm not a fan of the iPhone 4/4S.

Of course, I assume you are in the states or Canada, why don't you get both? Get the Nexus off contract and then save up and buy the ATT BB10 device of your choice. You might even be able to get that BB A-Series at that point.
    12-29-12 09:42 AM
    N4 = no LTE
    12-29-12 12:50 PM
    @OP. I recommend purchasing the N4 now . BlackBerry 10 needs some good examples of buyers remorse. You can be one of them as you switch from the N4 to Z10.......
    lnichols likes this.
    12-29-12 01:03 PM
    Nobody can change your mind with anything they say. You have to decide for yourself. I just know BB10 is going to be awesome!!! That is why I am waiting vs. getting an Iphone 5 now. All the apps won't be there out the gate, but once the new OS gains some momentum and some new fans the Devs will come.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    12-29-12 01:24 PM
    "A man or woman convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still."

If you're already thinking of switching, you're going to switch. Human nature is predictable in most cases.
    jakie55 and borbella like this.
    12-29-12 06:21 PM

Having the main point that the nexus 4 is backordered until late January, right when BB10 will be shown to the public, no offense, but I feel like it would be stupid to not hold off to atleast see what they have to offer.

On an unbiased point of view, I used my buddies Nexus 4 the other day and did really like it. I decided right then and there that if BB10 flopped, I would go with that phone, and I HATE Android as its a battery drain, fragmented, etc. Etc. Etc. There is no denying that Google did a good job with the phone, but then again, the OS is doomed given a few more years. Specs are better than your 99xx as you mentioned was a major point... But think about WHY that even matters? Android is so fragmented that they NEED those crazy specs to be able to run the OS smoothly at all. With BB10, specs will be similar to the Nexus 4, probably dual core over quad, but that's a moot point as how good a phone is not up to the specs, but rather the OS behind it, and Android needs to start from scratch within the next few years if they want to stay on top.

I've talked to Android and Apple users who are quite frankly bored with the OS's, and that's reason enough to check out BB10. The other OS's haven't been innovating enough and it's starting to show its age. What's like the #1 app on Android phones? Advanced Task Killer or whatever, which is complete BS... The user should not have to worry about that, and what's most annoying is you have so many programs running in the background without even noticing it, whereas with BB10, the homescreen is your open programs, so you never need to guess if what you just had opened was closed, or if you need to hold down a button to see it running in the background and then swipe ot away. That just adds unnecessary steps, and everyone with Android that I've seen, have like 5-10 apps running in the background, that ALWAYS forget to close them, just not noticing it, and it wastes so much battery.

Those are a few points from an unbiased view as I would still buy the Nexus 4 as my 2nd choice to BB10, but I'd definitely hold off and see what they have to offer, don't buy the Nexus 4 and then have a ton of buyers remorse after seeing BB10 on January 30th.

Best of luck my friend! Sorry if this comment is unorganized/misspellings, used my PlayBook to type it all up :x cannot wait for BB10's keyboard, the word prediction on it is like no other. Can't even imagine using the Android or iPhone keyboard ever again after getting used to the Dev Alpha. The PlayBook prediction is nothing like it, it's word predictions/auto correction actually screws me up, whereas on BB10, somehow it KNOWS what I'm trying to say, even when I butcher a word, it magically corrects it.

Anyways, Best of Luck!
    12-30-12 03:06 AM
    BlackBerry 10 for me! I'm unqueuing from the Nexus 4 lineup but I will be holding onto my 9900 until the next BB10 device.
    01-11-13 01:03 PM
    If you use online banking apps you might want to think twice about Android. More backdoor security issues than a condemned tenement. Trying to resolve identity fraud with your credit card company?.....Don't get me started!
    kolok likes this.
    01-12-13 05:43 AM
    If you use online banking apps you might want to think twice about Android. More backdoor security issues than a condemned tenement. Trying to resolve identity fraud with your credit card company?.....Don't get me started!
    Not really. If one is stupid, device choice won't stop losses. Android is as safe as the user let's it be... just as BB is.

Feel free to point out these backdoor weaknesses that spur identity theft on Android.
    01-12-13 06:41 AM
    To echo a sentiment already shared, I do dislike convince me threads, but nothing wrong with OP requesting feedback.

Depends on the user. For me, proven overall functionality is what carries the day, and the choice it's clear.

Struggling to choose a device is a good thing for any consumer
    01-12-13 06:46 AM
    Not really. If one is stupid, device choice won't stop losses. Android is as safe as the user let's it be... just as BB is.

Feel free to point out these backdoor weaknesses that spur identity theft on Android.
    I have seen a number of malware programs capable of subverting the security log ons of banking aps. Is this the result of the popularity of the android os and its fragmented open source nature? Once the money has been removed from your account, prooving to the bank it was not you is a difficult task. The bank's default position is one of strict liability since no-one else should posess your logon details or passwords.
    01-12-13 08:40 AM
    If google didn't sell out the nexus 4 I would already have one. Tried buying one when my 9900 screen fried and was sent in for repair. Wanted to try it out while I waited for BB10. Ended up buying another 9900 for 200$ on craigslist. Will sell both for around 200$ each and buy a BB10 off contract. I'm never signing a contract again, I want freedom.

I wonder how much business they lost, or could have had if they had better made to order manufacturing.
    01-12-13 09:15 AM
    Android has plenty of apps to get you started. BlackBerry 10 is a future object, and hasn't been already proven.

I'd say that you better hold off for that Nexus 4. At least see what BlackBerry 10 has to offer. But, if you absolutely need to do something about your contract, get that Nexus 4.
    01-12-13 10:19 AM
    Once the money has been removed from your account, prooving to the bank it was not you is a difficult task. The bank's default position is one of strict liability since no-one else should posess your logon details or passwords.
    Not that difficult actually, at least in France. Anyways, banks have an assurance for this, don't worry : when they give you back your money, they don't lose anything

P.S. Another tip : to check the accounts regularly, it seems that quite often the pirates try to do little insignificant transactions (like some dollars really), only to see if the person can notice it quickly, and to continue if the person is not attentive.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-12-13 10:37 AM
    Not that difficult actually, at least in France. Anyways, banks have an assurance for this, don't worry : when they give you back your money, they don't lose anything

P.S. Another tip : to check the accounts regularly, it seems that quite often the pirates try to do little insignificant transactions (like some dollars really), only to see if the person can notice it quickly, and to continue if the person is not attentive.
    Not that difficult anywhere LOL. You get the money returned.

I've been banking online since my Palm days. The same safety procedures I used on BB (as you say, checking balances and stuff) are the ones I use on Android.

I bet that previous poster can probably point out several friends and/or family using Android, but not one who had had his/her accounts drained due to Android-specific malware.
    01-12-13 12:08 PM
    I would never use Android to bank online. Couldn't pay me enough. Nothing about Android ever seems safe to me. I picked BB for security as well, and I have no intentions of leaving that. To say Androids are as safe as BB, in any regard really, is laughable. I've come to terms that Android is there to look pretty and have nice apps [amongst all the terrible ones]. But it really is to each his own.

And OP, while I'm not annoyed really by you making this post, as a poster pointed out. If there was any dissent in your mind to begin, you already know what you want to choose, you just can't say it outloud to yourself. I do this quite a bit when I shop. Except for phones nowadays. You should've seen how long I was in Sony Style when I was picking out my laptop I got as a gift 12 days ago...
    01-12-13 12:43 PM
43 12