After hanging around for the past few weeks, it's clear that there are a few bugs in the new OS or in the interface between the hardware and the OS. I've been equally amused by the 4-post trolls who start 'Z10 Nightmare!!!' threads and the 'hear no evil, see no evil' fanboys who make sure the first post in any rational, well-written and obviously non-trollish thread which describes a known bug is 'Everything is fine!!! Mine's not doing that!!!'

I've been one of those who have desperately wanted to grab a Z10 but who have been a bit leery because of the known bugs, mainly because I don't have a land line, use my phone for business, and need it to be working right out of the box. I don't have the time to deal with bugs.

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago for my buddy who dropped his Z10 and cracked the screen. I talked to him yesterday. I just wanted to report a real-world experience. My buddy says he is experiencing exactly none of the bugs and issues that many guys are seeing. I mentioned a bunch and he just said 'no' to every one. Gmail synched seamlessly and we tested the push function, which is working perfectly. No calls ending unexpectedly, phone's not hanging, he gets a full day's use out of a charge.

Now, this absolutely does not mean that bugs don't exist. To me, it's easy to know when a bug report is legit, because the tone of the OP isn't trollish and a bunch of people post that they are having the same issue. It does mean, though, that things aren't as dire as some might think.

I'm not enough of a techie to know why one handset would have problems where another would not. I know there are different models out there and if BBRY has contracted with different factories to produce various models, that might be it. I just think it's important to note that my friend has a unit that is working perfectly even with a cracked screen.

I can't wait to get one and I believe a major OS update has just been released. Now might be the time!
    Last edited by mset; 03-02-13 at 04:00 PM.
    03-02-13 03:50 PM
    I'm actually very interested to hear that your buddy's phone is working with a cracked screen. From what I understood of the underlying architecture of the screen I didn't think it would be possible for the gestures to work once the screen was cracked. That is very good news! Not that I plan on cracking mine - i just haven't found a case I like.

As for bug reports, bugs are bound to happen and you are right. You have to sift through the chaff to find the wheat. Kernal of truth. Lol. Most of the bugs I've had are very minor and were fixed with the recent update. A lot of things others have reported I haven't personally experienced. I think it must be that there are just too many app combinations and possibilities to all be tested before the phone gets to the real world. To me it's an extremely good and stable OS.

Glad your friend is still able to enjoy his! I hope you get yours soon.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 04:12 PM
    I'm actually very interested to hear that your buddy's phone is working with a cracked screen. From what I understood of the underlying architecture of the screen I didn't think it would be possible for the gestures to work once the screen was cracked.
    Well, I do think he's having some issues in the exact spot the screen is cracked but the phone still works and the drop didn't jar something loose, which is a good sign. The main point is that I went through a list of about 10 things that I had been reading about here and he wasn't seeing any of those issues.

Good to hear that you're only having minor issues. I'm hoping for the best when I get mine.

By the way, my iPhone is acting very strange these days, so bugs and instability are a possibility on any platform, as has been stated here many times.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-02-13 04:59 PM