Hi crackberrians friends, I've been looking for a way to read or view the z10 backup file, the problem is that I need to view a couple of phone numbers that got lost in my recent upgrade to the 10.1 for the st100-1.

Why I don't restore, cuz my contacts got really messy, when I restored the got from 260 to 777 of contacts trying to fix this and manage to do it, restoring from a google account, which they were almost up to day I got almost everything.

And like there is now way for me to choose on the link what I wanted to upload now I'm trying to read the backup file to lookup those phone numbers that got lost...

Please help, thanks.
    05-03-13 04:14 PM
    I used to use a PC app called Amber BlackBerry Converter, which could extract from the .ipd files that Desktop Manager used for backups. Somewhere along the way, the format was converted to .bbb and ABC could extract from early versions of that format. One trick I learned (before Link) was to rename a .bbb file to .zip, extract, and get an .ipd file that way.

I've tried the same technique with .bbb files created by Link, but I only get .tar files inside that archive...and nothing seems to open them at all. Not sure whether there's another wrapper around those .tar files (and yes, I am aware that .tar is an existing compression format, but none of those files would open for me).

That's actually not a helpful response in terms of getting your data, but perhaps someone else will have an idea based on what I've shared.
    05-03-13 05:59 PM
    Thanks is an great idea...

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 06:28 PM
    Any way to open the BB z10 back-up that created with link?

New ideas anyone?
    07-20-14 07:20 AM
    Any way to open the BB z10 back-up that created with link?

New ideas anyone?
    I THINK the the backup files are encrypted so that UNzipping or other methods no longer work. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Serge Simon likes this.
    07-20-14 08:40 AM
    Long story short: updated to 10.3.0.700 and the old 10.3.0261 update does not load my contacts...

it's still glitchy, I managed to use the method to recover some data from my old torch 9860. Thus, to some degree this is till ok!

Problem, is as WU-WEI described it. The new .BBB files for the 10 OSs are not supported and nothing i can think of does the trick.

I still do not think there is any way to do it.

F2 - Concerning encryption, i know the password... if they have the device password... so... there may still be hope
    07-21-14 03:47 PM
    Serge you know the password for your back up file? How?

I think 7-zip should be be able to open .tar files

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 05:53 AM
    Serge you know the password for your back up file? How?

I think 7-zip should be be able to open .tar files

Posted via CB10
    Good morning, Bounce....

I think the encryption is controlled separately from the device password but I'm not sure. I tried looking in a BBB file yesterday but the odd filenames made it hard to find specific items .
    07-22-14 08:09 AM
    Good morning, Bounce....

I think the encryption is controlled separately from the device password but I'm not sure. I tried looking in a BBB file yesterday but the odd filenames made it hard to find specific items .
    Hey F2,

I'm kinda lost here. Could you please break it down for me? I know because of rampant piracy on the BlackBerry Playbook, BlackBerry encrypted backup files and in order to unzip the backup files, one would need a password. Serge said he has the password to unzip the file? You were able to get into the .bbb file and see files?

Thanks
    Bounce
    07-22-14 02:30 PM
    Actually I took a logical approach and guessed that the device password is the backup password.

This may not be true.

We would know once we get a chance to test it but until then we're all flying blind here...

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 02:58 PM
    Hey F2,

I'm kinda lost here. Could you please break it down for me? I know because of rampant piracy on the BlackBerry Playbook, BlackBerry encrypted backup files and in order to unzip the backup files, one would need a password. Serge said he has the password to unzip the file? You were able to get into the .bbb file and see files?

Thanks
    Bounce
    That is what I recall. At least, they made extracting the bar (app) files harder (or impossible).

I was able to see some files. The problem is that there are 959 files in 160 folders. Some of them have reasonable names and many have numeric.....

Okay, I am quite confused. I am trying to use 7-zip but when I look at the contents of one of the zip files, it appears to be my DESKTOP computer and its programs and folders.

I don't know what that's all about!
    07-22-14 05:07 PM