Great post! Thanks for sharing your story!
    04-19-13 05:48 AM
    210313, not constant reboots, but have experienced some reboots while using the phone and noticed some that have occurred while I was not using the phone using the boot time as reference.
    04-19-13 07:19 AM
    <snip>Take two Zeds - both stock - and one putters along with no reboots while the other suffers multiple reboots on a 24 hour cycle. Do you see my point? Once the variables are removed from an OS version perspective, what is left is hardware.<snip>
    I am of the mind that it is HW related but it is less stressful to me to wait until BB makes an official statement on the mater (or I get too close to my warranty period ending). That being said, I do not see your point. You haven't actually ruled out SW just because some do not reboot. The phone has multiple cores and the OS is threaded software. It is entirely possible this is a non-deterministic threading problem. Either way we lack the ability to determine the cause as we just don't have enough information. I think our best option is to just wait and to hold the wild speculation to a minimum (I know, this IS the internet, but one can hope). Though doing the swap thing might get enough carriers on BB's back to force their hand.
    root likes this.
    04-19-13 08:46 AM
    Though doing the swap thing might get enough carriers on BB's back to force their hand.
    You do understand my point - quoted above. Generating return traffic will make the parties suffering losses because of the warranty returns come to some kind of resolution much more quickly. We can twist ourselves into pretzels here going back and forth trying to identify the problems ourselves, or we can participate in our rightful dissonance against our faulty handsets using the proper channels and let the manufacturer and carrier(s) apply the pressure which they are in more of a position to do than we are. Seems like a proper course of action, no? I honestly appreciate the community here trying to take pressure off BlackBerry because we want to see them succeed but we're doing ourselves and them a disservice by cushioning the blow. We all only become stronger under pressure.

You win the kewpie doll! I was wondering how long it might take someone to read the OP and come to the conclusion I was alluding to.

Root
    04-19-13 09:00 AM
    Woot, yay me. Can I trade it for a z10 that doesn't reboot?
    root likes this.
    04-19-13 09:04 AM
    So, stand up and ask... that's my advice anyway. Find your diamond in the rough and don't let a bad run of hardware luck turn you into a troll - the Zed is a very nice handset and doesn't deserve to be slighted because of our frustration with it's reliability.

I just wish BlackBerry wouldn't remain mute and come out and recall the bad ones once and for all - take the hit, enjoy the goodwill it brings it's devotees.

Root
    I got my replacement yesterday (similar manufacture date and location to my first) - and I'm restoring my stuff now. I'll update the thread as my saga continues. Yes, my old Zed rebooted last night all on it's own around 2 hours after my head hit the pillow... 1-3 times per day - a FREEZE, long pause, black screen... solid red LED, and a boot screen.

Anyway, I'm not adding detail for troubleshooting... I'm just gonna keep using this phone like it should be used (This one goes to eleven...) and if it reboots even once, I'll make the call and replace it. Until I can go a full week or more without a reboot, VZW is going to see lots of Z10s headed their way until they get it right.

Root
    04-20-13 09:02 AM
    As indicated in another thread, I have done some research in many countries where the Z10 has launched, those random reboots are extremely rare compared to the total amount of Z10 that have been sold worldwide (Probably close to 4 millions by now). Even if there are 4,000 people worldwide experiencing these reboots, that only equates to 0.01%, which is completely normal for any new product launch. That means 99.9% of the people who bought the Z10 don't experience any reboots at all. I live in Canada and know quite a few people who bought the phone and none have ever experienced this problem. Keep in mind that most people who visit CB are for troubleshooting purposes, hence you might get the impression there are a lot but compared to the overall population owning the phone it's very small. Which would also explain why BB hasn't done any recalls. For those who got a replacement phone and are still experiencing reboots, have you tried to get a new sim card? Faulty sim cards happen and that might be the cause? Hope you get this fixed really soon!
    04-20-13 10:13 AM
    As indicated in another thread, I have done some research in many countries where the Z10 has launched, those random reboots are extremely rare compared to the total amount of Z10 that have been sold worldwide (Probably close to 4 millions by now). Even if there are 4,000 people worldwide experiencing these reboots, that only equates to 0.01%, which is completely normal for any new product launch. That means 99.9% of the people who bought the Z10 don't experience any reboots at all. I live in Canada and know quite a few people who bought the phone and none have ever experienced this problem. Keep in mind that most people who visit CB are for troubleshooting purposes, hence you might get the impression there are a lot but compared to the overall population owning the phone it's very small. Which would also explain why BB hasn't done any recalls. For those who got a replacement phone and are still experiencing reboots, have you tried to get a new sim card? Faulty sim cards happen and that might be the cause? Hope you get this fixed really soon!
    Just to add it is not usually a Hardware Issue, it appears to be SD card, Sims and a slight percentage of apps side-loaded or ported that seems to be causing some grief for some ppl, again a very small percentage in terms of sales vs issues.

Carrier OS is modded by the carrier and it is the US carriers that seem to be having most of the issues, GOOD OL USA.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    04-20-13 10:26 AM
    No one knows for certain "what" the exact cause is yet. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

The one thing I do know for sure...
    My phone does not reboot if it is in Airplane mode.

** UPDATE **
    Correction, Last night it rebooted while in Airplane mode. After the reboot it went back into Airplane mode, but it still attempted to pull email?? I know this because it errored out with one of the email accounts showing the password needed to be re-entered.... strange.
    Last edited by sklotz2000; 04-21-13 at 11:37 AM.
    04-20-13 10:35 AM
    My replacement z10 (new phone and SIM) from Verizon no longer boots while I'm using it, but it has rebooted overnight while on the OEM charger and in bedside mode. I'm in the middle of testing various batteries now ( I have 4 batteries, all different batches) to see if they have any affect. With one of them I actually went 4 straight days without a reboot, but with 2 others the phone rebooted in the charger btw 11 PM and 4am. Currently on my last one, then back to the "Good" one to see if it's still good. Who knows if there are any real patterns or conclusions we can try to make...but we'll see.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 10:59 AM
    technology production without problems, that would be so rad, but not possible

it's great that they offered a hardware replacement

i find, if i speak to the reps at my provider, from a rep perspective (having been a rep myself), they love that and immediately become helpful
    04-20-13 02:52 PM
    Att suggested it being a bad battery also. My wife is about to receive her 4th. First one over heated and became sluggish. Second one would just randomly turn off. 3rd one has the reboot issues. Hopefully we can get it right now.

Keep in mind though because the first one started having problems 2 days after the 14 day trial period. They have been shipping me refurbished phones. Which has ticked me off.

My phone which is a second phone was brand new. And I've only had 2 reboots since I got it. Which was on the 26 th of last month

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 04:41 PM
    You can use the 1 year BlackBerry warranty for repair or exchange.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Holy heck it rebooted once!!
    04-25-13 05:12 PM
    Mine had been rebooting since day one. Posted to blackberry and c rack berry forums and a rep from blackberry contacted me and finally got a new one out to me. Not a single reboot since. Don't know why the problems but do know they handled it like quick. Great job blackberry. Now if only I could two way sync with outlook I would be ecstatic. Thanks BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 05:56 PM
    Well, if any of you have been following the Leaked OS thread in the Z10 forum, I've been running/testing the newest 10.1 leaks for everyone (the latest looks like it will be the release version for O2 users) and my rebooting issues have not been solved. Last night running 10.1.0.1483 was the first night in a month where I didn't have a bedside mode reboot (so I consider the bedside mode reboot issue may be software related)... but the random reboots, while less prevalent, are still happening. I had one this afternoon with my phone sitting in it's pouch not being actively used. Upshot, this unit is going back to VZW too.

Updates to follow as my saga continues.

Root
    04-25-13 06:04 PM
    It's really tough to decide what is really going on here. I could only wish that in the future phones have something like an "event log" like PC's where it at least gives us a vague idea of what happened.
    04-25-13 06:07 PM
66 123